Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xgm541

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2011
If by slower data speeds you mean over 10X faster then yes you are correct. I get 45 to 35 Mbs down on Verizon LTE.

Oh okay. I had a friend who had a verizon LTE phone. He showed it off for about 10 minutes before the battery died.

rhapsodyosx

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2006
So what are the new throttled speeds after hitting the 3GB limit on HSPA+?

Anyone have any experience with it?

rhapsodyosx

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2006
are you serious? I can see maybe 128K down or even 256k... but that's just a joke.

That's seriously asking for ticked off users to use as much as they can in an attempt to stick it to them.

Hellvalley

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2011
I say screw it. Yes, data throttling is wrong, but using 100+ GBs is just as insane too. It's still unlimited just at a super reduced speed. Does it suck? Yes. However, its pay $30 a month and never worry about an overage or go on a tiered plan that has overages if you go over the cap.

With how AT&T is throttling now I can do everything I used to do, minus streaming videos (Kind of insane on a 4 inch screen, but to each his own). If you want more data upgrade to an LTE device.

Look at it this way, AT&T was kind enough to allow us to keep our data plans even when they had ever right to remove them and add tiered plans in their place.

Stop the bitchin'. data abusers caused this "It's unlimited so I'm going to tether to my computer." It was never meant for that.

Anyway, my midnight, half awake rant is now over. Forgive the typos because I frankly could careless if there's any.

neversink

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
UNLIMITED IS UNLIMITED

ATT told me, when I purchased my contract, that there were no limits to my usage. They didn't mention throttling to me. ATT practice fraud!!! Tell me how in Kenya, it costs next to nothing to get data, and yet ATT says their bandwidth is so precious they have to resort to fraud and dubious tactics. Come on. They offered unlimited. They should hold up their end of the bargain!!!!!! I was told by their reps I would get unlimited, no strings attached. Suddenly they decide what's abusive and what's not.

Basically.... ATT is screwing all us unlimited users. And you guys defending ATT haven't got a clue. A 5 GB plan isn't abuse but an unlimited plan become abusive at 3 GB.... Give me a break....

I guess you think deluding customers is a good business practice.

Stop the bitchin'. data abusers caused this "It's unlimited so I'm going to tether to my computer." It was never meant for that.

Hellvalley

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2011
UNLIMITED IS UNLIMITED

ATT told me, when I purchased my contract, that there were no limits to my usage. They didn't mention throttling to me. ATT practice fraud!!! Tell me how in Kenya, it costs next to nothing to get data, and yet ATT says their bandwidth is so precious they have to resort to fraud and dubious tactics. Come on. They offered unlimited. They should hold up their end of the bargain!!!!!! I was told by their reps I would get unlimited, no strings attached. Suddenly they decide what's abusive and what's not.

Basically.... ATT is screwing all us unlimited users. And you guys defending ATT haven't got a clue. A 5 GB plan isn't abuse but an unlimited plan become abusive at 3 GB.... Give me a break....

I guess you think deluding customers is a good business practice.

No but using 100+GBs is. Tethering to your computer is. It was meant for your phone and only for your phone. What AT&T is doing is bullcrap, however, we all knew a very long time ago that AT&T would start capping unlimited.

If you feel so entitled to "Unlimited" take them to court, or stop complaining.

Last edited:

IonBadEggs

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2013
I purchased AT&T's 4G network along with a unlimited data plan. When upgrading I knew, and was told via customer service and multiple media advertisements my iPhone would be on the 4G network. At that time I knew if I wanted faster or slower data transfer, I could change to the 4G LTE or return to my 3G network. THIS is the speed AT&T is limiting, which has no bearing on my data plan legally. If I purchased 5Gb monthly on the 4G network I would expect my 5Gb to be transferred at 4G speeds. If I went over that limit, I would expect to be stopped or charged extra, not speed limited. Data is seperate from speed. If unlimited plan users account for top 5% overage starting at 3Gb, then any and or all 5Gb account holders are in violation of usage before they turn on their phones? This also questions why AT&T is currently selling ANY 3Gb or 5Gb data plans if the current network cannot handle the traffic. To make this stand up in court, AT&T MUST throttle ALL USERS over the set throttling threshold in a given REGION at the SAME TIME, for the SAME AMOUNT OF TIME.

It also brings into question AT&T's patents filed in the US Patent Office since 1997. AT&T filed more than 26 individual patents on how to limit access, limit broadband or limit proxy-network access. 3 patents filed by AT&T were how to increase user speed over 3GPP, HSPA, HSPA+, LTE, CDMA, UTMA Networks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.