Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SolRayz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007
Ft. Lauderdale
AT&T couldn't be more obvious about their intentions. When you get the 5% message, they hyperlink direct to their dumb tierd data options. Why the F$&@ would i want to downgrade douchebags. How about a text message that verifies our data use....or a text message appologising to us for thier crap service, crap infrastructure, and we are offering you a refund for throttling at 2gb.

Id cancel tomorrow if it weren't the $350 early termination fee for our family plan. The least they could do is allow us to opt out without penalties. They are the ones who decided to alter services. Why should we pay ETF!!!!!

gepapaya

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2011
For those that say unlimited data is not the same as unlimited speed... what about this (numbers not really realistic... just presented for comparison).

--5 days left on billing cycle
--24 hours for 5 days is 432,000 seconds

--1 Mbps download speed for 5 days
--432,000 Mb of data downloaded

--.05 Mbps download speed for 5 days
--21,600 Mb of data download

How is this not limited *data* for 5 days... :rolleyes: Do I have this wrong?

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
I get 3GB for $30. You apparently get 2GB for $30. Which of us gets more data?

Yeah, I've thought it through. I love seeing these pathetic whiners moan and groan when the solution is right there in front of them. ATT has made it abundantly clear that "unlimited" will never again get more than those on a tiered plan. Yet some people are so dumb that they continue to hope. Hilarious!

i'm at 55GB this month.. so me switching to $30 for 3GB is a solution?

Lex10000

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2012
AT&T IS PATHETIC! They Are Trying to Bully Unlimited Users!

Watch my 2 minute Video BELOW about how PATHETIC AT&T is!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ2afw6Tb0o

CALL AT&T NOW AND DEMAND they STOP the BULLYING! They are trying to BULLY Us, the person who is paying full price for unlimited usage into a limited plan. Regular Download Speed for AT&T is 1.1 Mega Nits/Second. I did a speed test Yesterday and I had a download speed of.07 Mega Bits/Second! That is over 93% SLOWER! AT&T IS PATHETIC! CALL THEM NOW! 800-288-2020

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
neither do i

LOfL..

my month was up yesterday so i was back up to speed.. downloaded my master cad file this morning (which receives nightly updates) and used pandora for around 6 hrs today.. just got the 'you're nearing the top 5% blahblah.." text..
so i can basically use my phone for work 1 day per month... the other 30 days i have to wake up super early in order to get my updated files on the site before we start working...

so stupid.. and this is the 4th month of this bs now..
or am i just abusing at&t? (even though i'm already paying them around $125/month for the past 4-5 years.. )

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

dmelgar said:
Move to Sprint

yeah, I just did that exactly.. unlimited everything for $25 less/month than limited text/minutes/throttled data with at&t...
and kept my same ph#

bachelier

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

yeah, I just did that exactly.. unlimited everything for $25 less/month than limited text/minutes/throttled data with at&t...
and kept my same ph#

GOOD JOB. Stick it to ATT.
if all original iphone users left this sicko company maybe they would start treating their customers more kindly.

BTW, how were you able to dl 55gigs while throttled

onavo

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2012
Throttling project - share your story

Hi guys,

Dvir Reznik here, head of marketing at Onavo (the data experts).

We're doing a project around throttling and its implications on mobile subscribers, and would like to include your story in it. The project will go live shortly, featuring your story along with your full name, Twitter name or an alias - your choice.

If you'd like to participate, please send your story to: info@onavo.com, mentioning 'Data throttle' in the subject line. We cannot use the stories posted here without approval.

Thanks again.

Dvir.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
GOOD JOB. Stick it to ATT.
if all original iphone users left this sicko company maybe they would start treating their customers more kindly.

BTW, how were you able to dl 55gigs while throttled

the 55GB thing was a mistake by me.. i got that from the phone's cell usage but didn't realize at the time that it doesn't reset itself each month.. so it was 55gb since my last reset..

i checked my acct when i was switching and saw that i was using an average of around 8GB/month for the past few months..

sorry for the misleading..

Whistle Blower

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2012

I was throttled as soon as I reached 2G. The speed is at a point that I can not use the network. But Att promisses to restore my speed at the beginning of my next billing cycle. How nice! That's not for another 18 days. Ive tried calling the number on the text I received. No help there. What a surprise. So I did some research and contacted some friends on the inside. For those of you who are getting nowhere with customer service maybe this will help.

CEO ATT Wireless: Ralph De La Vega - ralph.delavega@att.com
EVP Mobility Customer Service: Brian Shay- brian.shay@att.com
Phone- (214) 757-5750
Cell - (425) 205-0932

It's time to let these two gentleman how you feel. Time to stop venting on these forums and and do something about it.

jimi78

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Carlsbad, CA
wonder if LTE will help anything. just see a whole new can of worms with that mess. not looking forward to seeing that data plans are for an iPhone that is LTE capable...if it ever happens

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
My billing month ended yesterday and I used nearly 6GB in the last two days of the billing cycle on purpose downloading music using iTunes Match.

Friday night I downloaded the Complete Led Zeppelin which uses about 1.93GB on my computer so I used that much in bandwidth to download it. I deleted it on Saturday and downloaded it again on Saturday night just to use the bandwidth. I also downloaded several other albums and was surprised to see it totaled nearly 6GB in all.

I used it on Friday and Saturday nights between 5PM and 11PM when I get the best download speeds. Didn't get a warning from AT&T at all and my new month has started.

I'm sure that locations as well as what time you download at makes a difference as well. Someone using 2GB of data during lunch time is going to impact the system more than someone downloading the same amount at 7PM on a Friday night.

I'll be using iTunes Match more throughout the month so I am sure that I will be using many GBs once again. My 2 year contract is up in May so I don't have long to go. I'm going to keep on using my phone the way I want and if they do throttle me, I can get out without paying any fees soon. I've resisted using my upgrade just for this reason.

OceanView

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2005
I used it on Friday and Saturday nights between 5PM and 11PM when I get the best download speeds. Didn't get a warning from AT&T at all and my new month has started.

I'm sure that locations as well as what time you download at makes a difference as well. Someone using 2GB of data during lunch time is going to impact the system more than someone downloading the same amount at 7PM on a Friday night.

I'm not sure about the location but in my case I was on vacation in a different town and I used my internet mainly from about 7-12PM.

DiamondMac

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2006
Washington, D.C.
wonder if LTE will help anything. just see a whole new can of worms with that mess. not looking forward to seeing that data plans are for an iPhone that is LTE capable...if it ever happens

Quite the opposite, imo.

With the speeds increasing, I would expect AT&T and others to clamp down harder on people so they can squeeze every single penny out of us as humanly possible.

They will spend millions on studies claiming how the end of the world is coming with more data to be used by consumers and how they can ONLY SURVIVE if they make everyone pay even more.

jimi78

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Carlsbad, CA
Quite the opposite, imo.

With the speeds increasing, I would expect AT&T and others to clamp down harder on people so they can squeeze every single penny out of us as humanly possible.

They will spend millions on studies claiming how the end of the world is coming with more data to be used by consumers and how they can ONLY SURVIVE if they make everyone pay even more.

Yeah, i see what you are saying. The fact that they can use faster speeds only leads me to assume that we will just get throttled that much faster too :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.