Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mizzar

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2012
I also was throttled after 2 GB. It has been VERY frustrating to deal with because the throttling is INCREDIBLY slow. I am on the unlimited data plan. If my data is slow because of natural congestion then no one is limiting it, thus it is unlimited, and slow. However, if AT&T is limiting my data speed, then it is NOT unlimited.

Moreover, their contract (AT&T) says that they have the right to throttle if you are abusing the network by doing things they do not permit (they have a list of things) and/or if you are compromising the integrity of the network.

I know from first hand experience (they throttled me last month) that they are being malicious and attempting to force people out of their unlimited data plans (or they miscalculated and are making reasonable users [like me] very upset):

a) The speed you are throttled to is too slow to load webpages and other simple internet content. Often you have to reload. AT&T's full speed on an iPhone 4S in Sacramento is 3.5 Mbps. They have throttled me down to about 0.10 Mbps, about 2-3% of the normal speed.

b) I do not abuse the network. I watch half an hour of video during my lunch break at work. That adds up to about 4 GB a month.

c) I was throttled after using 2GB of data in 15 days. This is not compromising their network because they offer a 5GB plan.

d) The point in which you are throttled is a floating, regional rule. If few people in your region do more than check their email, or if they are always in Wi-Fi, you are suddenly an "abusive" user. There will always be a top 5%.

e) It does nothing for other users. I have streamed like this during lunch for a long time. It has always been fast. When testing the speed on friends' phones, they reach the speeds I have always gotten, even though a full 5% of AT&T's "data hogs" have been throttled down.

f) Finally, network congestion doesn't happen by the GB. It happens during congested TIMES. A more sensible policy would be to limit users data who access it at highly congested times. The logical error there is: this already happens, that's what network congestion is, many people get on at the same time, and the network slows down. Think of rush-hour traffic. Just because 1 car drove across the country doesn't mean that they are the cause for slow traffic speeds at 6pm.

Enough said. I'm pretty sure there is a class action lawsuit sitting on the table here...

Take care,

Mr. Frustrated

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Cap cap cap/throttle throttle throttle.

I find it hilarious that whilst technology/internet innovation is rapidly evolving, the ISPs instead of following suit seem hell bent on putting on the handbrakes and stifling it.

I wonder how long they think this strategy of theirs will hold out.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
Blame Siri, and iPhones in general. I guess overall data usage is increasing faster than the infrastructure.

I don't think AT&T is doing anything illegal here... questionable yes, but not illegal. I assume that they want to get people out of the unlimited plans and make them switch to fixed amount plans. I guess the unlimited agreement doesn't include a passage where they guarantee unlimited data at maximal speed.

My unlimited virgin mobile plan was also recently changed, and will now throttle me when I go above 2.5 GB. Of course at $25 for data, text and voice I don't have much to complain about :D

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
It also appears that they are requiring anyone who upgrades now to choose one of the new data plans. I had already switched to a tiered data plan but had to choose from one of the new ones.

Rufuss Sewell

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
Austin, TX
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

They might as well just come out and say they are eliminating unlimited data all together. I was throttled to unusable speed after 5gb. I went into my local AT&T store to see if I could be reset for the month now that I know that the moving target of 5% is so low. Everyone in the store looked at me with utter disbelief and contept that I "went over" my data limit. I was like wtf?!? I don't have a data limit! I was sold "unlimited 3G!!!" They just kept telling me how I went over blah blah. Don't I have wifi blah blah.

So, I switched to the tiered plan knowing full well that the mechanism of turning off the top 5% inherently makes that 5% lower and lower each month.

At this point I don't see any hope for anyone staying on unlimited.

k1121j

Suspended
Mar 28, 2009
New Hampshire
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

heres a simpler way to put it. This month you can drive 100 MPH. but AT&T will cap(limit) the speed to 95MPH next month those same people will be in the top 5% of speeders at 90.25MPH oh and month 3 85.7MPH will put u at the top 5% month 4 81MPH. there gonna have to change something or you will be throttled before the billing cycle begins lol

MarkMS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
I'll never get it. Don't like At&T, go to a different carrier....

Some of us are trying to do that, but it's easier said than done with all these contracts and ETFs. AT&T used be more friendly back when it was Cingular. I'm waiting on our last phone (out of 5) to come off contract and then switching to Sprint's family plan. Here's hoping they still get the iPhone 5 and that their speed issues are fixed by then.

Blame Siri, and iPhones in general. I guess overall data usage is increasing faster than the infrastructure.

I don't think AT&T is doing anything illegal here... questionable yes, but not illegal. I assume that they want to get people out of the unlimited plans and make them switch to fixed amount plans. I guess the unlimited agreement doesn't include a passage where they guarantee unlimited data at maximal speed.

My unlimited virgin mobile plan was also recently changed, and will now throttle me when I go above 2.5 GB. Of course at $25 for data, text and voice I don't have much to complain about :D

Why blame the iPhone and Siri? Smartphones in general use a lot of data. RIM/Blackberry is the one of the few that doesn't use much data, but they compress everything through their servers. AT&T has had since 2007 to get their act together. I blame the greedy executives at AT&T and Verizon for such sleazy policies.

Last edited:

k1121j

Suspended
Mar 28, 2009
New Hampshire

slow enough to make u want to not be on unlimited plan.

k1121j

Suspended
Mar 28, 2009
New Hampshire

anonApple said:
I got the same message right at 2gb. Ticks me off, really. 2gb doesn’t sound too unlimited.
This is ********, how is 2gb unlimited.

They aren't cutting you off at 2gb, just throttling you. So while it sucks your plan is still technically unlimited.

to them yes but at .06 Mbps your limited someone figure out how much data u can use in a month at those speeds.

Blue Ivy

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2012
I'm at 27gb for the month and my data hasn't been throttled yet! Last month it was 31gb!

slippery-pete

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
Some of us are trying to do that, but it's easier said than done with all these contracts and ETFs. AT&T used be more friendly back when it was Cingular. I'm waiting on our last phone (out of 5) to come off contract and then switching to Sprint's family plan. Here's hoping they still get the iPhone 5 and that their speed issues are fixed by then.

Yeah, ETF suck. If being throttled is that much of a deal breaker (not saying it is to you, but it seems to be to may others on the board) than suck it up and pay the ETF....

As for Sprint, good luck. Buddy has a iphone with them. Their "speeds" are laughable.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
well u can still call yourself lucky ... our plans are all "unlimited" here in germany but there are certain points depending on your plan where they trottle you, going from 300 mb to 1 GB or 2 GB. after that it becomes basically useless. but then again i barely get over 300 mb anyway, somehow i feel bad using so much mobile data or i just dont need it lol

dmcdayton

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2008
ATT is a bloodsucking vulture, I hate dealing with them and will not renew when current contract is up. Verizon has been very solid around where I'm at. If Sprint had better coverage here, I'd go with them....or if Virgin Mobile deals start working on unlocked phones...I'll walk to the bus-stop for those prices:)

Seriously, I would start a petition for this unlimited users, they are getting jacked.

I can't get past how data usage "expires"...it should at least roll over like phone minutes. I go months using very little then when I travel, I need a bunch.

Maybe its time to bust em up again.

sumocomputers

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2010
San Diego - Also 2.1GB

Got the same message in San Diego Area end of Jan at 2.1 GB.

Been on unlimited since original iPhone, and I know this is just a way for them to get people unrooted from the unlimited plan. And it may have worked with me...sigh

trillville

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2010
This is weird. I used 4.4 GB last month by watching Netflix whenever I run on the treadmill, and I still haven't received any sort of notification. I hope this doesn't change soon for me.

thuchu1

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2010
Auburn Hills, MI
It's just math and probability

The more the upper tiers are throttled, the less likely they are to use as much of that "unlimited" data. This moves the 5% just a bit lower. Add that up over time and you're getting throttled after 1Mb :p. 5% is relative.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Just got off the phone with AT&T to see what "incentives" they would give me to give up my unlimited data, because in my area throttling begins at about 2.5GB. The guy was nice and completely understood that I'm essentially losing .5GB a month compared to the 3GB/30 dollar plan.

He offered me 4 months free of any data plan, including the 5GB/50 dollar plan to dump unlimited. I'm considering it because 1: I hardly break 2.5GB, 2: I can switch to the 3GB/30 dollar plan after the free 4 months of tethering, and 3: Get that additional .5GB at full speed for the same price.

I was shocked to hear this deal, very tempting. Its all noted in my account for whenever or if ever I decide to go through with it.

Rufuss Sewell

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
Austin, TX

For all you apologists... the cotract was sold to me as:

Unlimited 3g

Sardonick007

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011
Awesome!

Great scam. People use your data in a grandfathered plan, you just let them have the false sense of customer service and when they reach the usage of a tiered plan, you just tell them their high use customers and need to change plans or get throttled.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.