Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

att_416x416-250x250.jpg
AT&T has announced that it will begin trialing 5G wireless technologies this year, including lab tests in the second quarter and outdoor tests over the summer. The carrier anticipates 5G speeds to be 10-100 times faster than today's average 4G LTE connections, with reduced latency.
Customers will see speeds measured in gigabits per second, not megabits. For reference, at one gigabit per second, you can download a TV show in less than 3 seconds. Customers will also see much lower latency with 5G. Latency, for example, is how long it takes after you press play on a video app for the video to start streaming on your device. We expect 5G latency in the range of 1 to 5 milliseconds.
Worldwide standards are still lacking for 5G technologies, but the 3GPP group aims to complete the first phase of that process in 2018. The widespread rollout of AT&T's 5G network will likely take until 2020, but the carrier plans to provide wireless connectivity to fixed locations in Austin before the end of this year. The carrier joins Verizon, who will also be field testing 5G solutions this year.

AT&T's 5G network will be based on technologies such as millimeter waves, network function virtualization (NFV), and software-defined networking (SDN). The carrier has already migrated 14 million wireless customers to its virtualized network, and it says millions more will be added this year. AT&T plans to virtualize 75% of its network over the next four years in the lead up to 5G.

It remains too early to predict Apple's roadmap for 5G connectivity. Apple was quick to support LTE-Advanced, a faster standard of 4G LTE, on the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus or later, but 3G and LTE wireless technologies were both available for years before Apple adopted them. Based on AT&T's and 3GPP's timelines, a 5G iPhone may not be released for at least three to four years.

Article Link: AT&T to Begin Testing 5G, 10-100 Times Faster Than 4G LTE

Reactions: Vanilla35

bennibeef

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2013
They really should put that money put in their fiber infrastructure rather than more mobile networks. Yes LTE is fast. But what for, next year my Phone connection is 100x faster than my home connection, but this is the connection where I need it fast. Not on my freaking phone.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
I'm sure the Apple experimental cell tower near Green Valley Drive will have some 5G base station prototypes in it's equipment shed.

Taking about that, the Campus 2 should be big enough to house their own experimental cell tower. They'll probably have it near the visitor center.

The Barron

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
Central California Coast

att_416x416-250x250.jpg
AT&T has announced that it will begin trialing 5G wireless technologies this year, including lab tests in the second quarter and outdoor tests over the summer. The carrier anticipates 5G speeds to be 10-100 times faster than today's average 4G LTE connections, with reduced latency.Worldwide standards are still lacking for 5G technologies, but the 3GPP group aims to complete the first phase of that process in 2018. The widespread rollout of AT&T's 5G network will likely take until 2020, but the carrier plans to provide wireless connectivity to fixed locations in Austin before the end of this year. The carrier joins Verizon, who will also be field testing 5G solutions this year.

AT&T's 5G network will be based on technologies such as millimeter waves, network function virtualization (NFV), and software-defined networking (SDN). The carrier has already migrated 14 million wireless customers to its virtualized network, and it says millions more will be added this year. AT&T plans to virtualize 75% of its network over the next four years in the lead up to 5G.

It remains too early to predict Apple's roadmap for 5G connectivity. Apple was quick to support LTE-Advanced, a faster standard of 4G LTE, on the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus or later, but 3G and LTE wireless technologies were both available for years before Apple adopted them. Based on AT&T's and 3GPP's timelines, a 5G iPhone may not be released for at least three to four years.

Article Link: AT&T to Begin Testing 5G, 10-100 Times Faster Than 4G LTE
[doublepost=1455289762][/doublepost]Ok Verizon, let's get on this!

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
They really should put that money put in their fiber infrastructure rather than more mobile networks. Yes LTE is fast. But what for, next year my Phone connection is 100x faster than my home connection, but this is the connection where I need it fast. Not on my freaking phone.
You bring up a very good point. Will fiber in the home be obsoleted by next generation wireless networks? If no cable to run, that is a huge labor savings.

Just have power into the house and have all communication in and out of the place be a stationary next generation microcell doubling as WiFi for the home.

Reactions: Skoal

AtomicDusk

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2014
San Diego
Sure this is great, but I wonder why... I mean won't there be an equilibrium for phone data that it is as fast as it needs to be, and any more than that is wasted technology/implementation?

Unless they plan to roll it out as a replacement to fiber, which would be cheaper, as you don't need individual lines to each neighborhood, block, home, etc.

My fear is that is what happens and we get home internet that is fast, yes, but capped.

Reactions: Sea Bass

American Hero

Suspended
Jan 25, 2016

I'm guessing we'll need the faster networks for new devices of the future, ex: Apple Car, medical technology, football stadiums, streaming TV on our devices without the cable networks, etc.

tom.humphrey

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2011

Then they'll make data plans cheaper and phone lines will disappear

MacConvert07

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2008
Upstate NY
I'd love to cut the cord with time warner's cable modem service. At best it's "ok" and for $55 I get unlimited data at 15/1 speeds. Last time I checked though I download anywhere from 100-300 GB per month for a family of 4. Thank you Netflix! Anyway, if ATT offered me high speeds at anything even close to what I am paying now for something like 100 or 250 GB/month I'd consider changing over and truly going cordless.

melgross

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2004
New York City
Nonsense! There is no 5G. There isn't even an agreement between the various parties as to what 5G will be.

In fact, we don't have 4G anywhere around the world yet. LTE is not 4G. Several years ago, when 4G fell well behind schedule, carriers and manufacturers lobbied the 4G working committee to allow them to call LTE 4G. After 6 months, the committee agreed. But LTE is actually 3G+. 4G is LTE Advanced, which has been in testing stage for several years, and is something we won't see for another year, at least, in commercial installation.

Estimates for the release of 5G, is mid 2020s, with some in the industry thinking early 2030s.

So,what AT&T and Verizon, who also announced this, are likely talking about is LTE Advanced, in other words, real 4G.

Don't let anyone fool you guys about this. No one even knows what 5G will be. Some groups want it to be equivalent to 10G Ethernet. Some want it to be a mesh technology, and others want it to be LoT. There is No agreement as to what it will be, much less having equipment capable of delivering anything.

mytdave

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2002
With that kind of speed by 2020, I can't help but think "what will be the point of cable or fiber?"

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
Why not try to deliver 4G LTE everywhere first?

I'm still waiting for reliable 3G or even EDGE in some areas. Every time I visit my in-laws (which live close enough to Interstate 55 to hear traffic), I get almost no signal.

Coverage maps show that some tower is to the north of us, and the south of us. Their house is apparently right in the middle, between the two towers, in a dead zone.

It's not just AT&T, either. Verizon, Sprint, and T-Mobile actually have worse service there. I usually go outside or stand by a window to try and get a better signal.

I've been using the "Mark this Spot" app there for the past 5+ years in that spot. So have other members of my family. I don't think AT&T cares.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.