Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JonB3Z

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2009
iluvgr8tdeals, we certainly agree that the economics of the issue will play a large role in determining people's decision. I'm just trying to point out that not everyone is weighing the factors the same way. For some, convenience is paramount. The most critical competition for the AT&T app is other nav apps on the iPhone, not stand-alone GPS units. As you point out, many who would be willing to go the stand-alone route have already done so and aren't interested in an iPhone nav app at any price. (Well, maybe free. :))

The reason I got my wife a stand-alone GPS is that she doesn't have (or want) an iPhone. I do have an iPhone, and I don't intend to get a stand-alone GPS for myself.

The reason you would want both the iPhone and the GPS on the dash is so you can access the iPhone for purposes other than nav, such as making phone calls. :) I've had an iPhone mount sitting permanently on my dash for months, and no thief has been tempted by it. Maybe thieves are smart enough to recognize that an empty cellphone holder means the cellphone is on the driver's belt somewhere.

I don't know why you think the iPhone is more sensitive than a stand-alone GPS. They are basically the same technology. Anyway, I've been using a RAM handlebar mount for the iPhone on my bicycle for a while. Works great.

Once TomTom and others flesh out the nav app offerings, we'll see how they stack up against the AT&T app. The great thing is, if I find something more appealing that I want to use, I can just cancel the AT&T service.

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
By the way, for one to use the TomTom app, you shall be required to use a windshield mount, meaning that, you shall always have to take away the mount each time you park at a public (or even private) place, as the mount is what makes the thieves know you have a GPS system, thus enticing them to break in and see if you have left it at the cup holder console or the glove compartment!!! Therefore, the inconvenience of taking out the mount applies to all, iPhone users and stand alone users alike!

The windshield mount is an optional accessory for the TomTom app. It will not be required. I've been keeping my iPhone in my center cup holder. I can hear the turn directions just fine and it's easy to glance at the screen if I need to. It's no more distracting than glancing at my car's radio or clock.

iluvgr8tdeals

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2009
The windshield mount is an optional accessory for the TomTom app. It will not be required. I've been keeping my iPhone in my center cup holder. I can hear the turn directions just fine and it's easy to glance at the screen if I need to. It's no more distracting than glancing at my car's radio or clock.

We can also argue that the windshield mounts for the stand alone units are optional accessories, but there a few reasons that the windshield mount for the iPhone when used with the TomTom app might be a very very very good idea (and not having it a very very very bad idea)

- Safety issue. The TomTom iPhone car kit that offers secure docking. The windshield mount is made for the iPhone. Your center cup holder (or other corner where your iPhone, now functioning as your GPS unit, is placed) isn't. Yes, you may belong to the select few who can glance quickly at your center console, (thus having your eyes off the road 'momentarily') but majority cannot, or do not want to deal with the dire consequences that may result out of doing so.

- The new windshield mount shall be made to act as a charger for your iPhone. Look at this site and see complaints about battery life when used 'normally'; using your iPhone as a GPS unit shall require constant battery juice, meaning that a charger might be a good thing. How about the mount acting as a charger, killing two birds with one stone.

- It is rumored that the new dock shall have a GPS chip embedded onto it to ensure enhanced GPS performance, especially for those who have the iPhone 2g and 3G. Well, I don't know whether the GPS works better when it has unfettered access to the heavens, but it is rumored that it works better. So, it is better to have the iPhone resting on a dock with an unobstructed view on the windshield, rather than an undocked iPhone resting on an obstructed cup holder.

I have plagiarized my two cents from http://iphone.tomtom.com/ and http://gps.about.com/b/2009/06/10/more-details-on-tomtom-for-iphone-mount-has-its-own-gps-chip.htm

Randman

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2008
Jacksonville, Fla
Well, I'm going on vacation right after the 4th and my drive is around 1,650 miles one way. If TomTom or Navigon aren't out, I'm going to go with the AT&T and cancel after a month. Better than nothing.

iluvgr8tdeals

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2009
'I don't know why you think the iPhone is more sensitive than a stand-alone GPS. They are basically the same technology. Anyway, I've been using a RAM handlebar mount for the iPhone on my bicycle for a while. Works great.'

It's not the technology. I just think that the iPhone is a very 'sensitive' phone. It is not as rugged as, say, a Treo 650 or Nokia N95. It scratches easily, has a screen that cracks and scratches easily, and also costs a lot more money to replace. I know squaretrade insures the iPhone, but for the majority, once the iPhone cracks, falls down or swims in a sink, you are doomed. My Treo 650 once fell into some water. I dried it out and it continued functioning. I keep my iPhone miles away from any water, lest the 'litmus' paper turns red/pink!

I have seen very few people carry the iPhone on a belt holster, which I used to do (and see many people also doing) with my Treo 650. I wouldn't dare do so with my iPhone. I baby it like crazy, only put it in my left-side pocket, and I do not put anything in this pocket, lest the screen (which has a cover) gets scratched!

I also think a lot of this 'babying of iPhones' has to do with the good resale value of the iPhone. If you present it to a prospective buyer in pristine condition, you fetch more for it. (I presume, I think I am right) If it has scratches and a crack on the side or screen, well...

When riding a bike, I presume that there is a slight chance the GPS unit (be it the iPhone or TomTom) might fall loose. I feel that you have a better chance of salvaging a fallen TomTom than a fallen iPhone! That's what I mean by sensitive. Like a new shiny convertible, you only drive it when it is sunny, never drive it in the rain, and never in the snow, and always pack it in the garage...

JonB3Z

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2009
It's not the technology. I just think that the iPhone is a very 'sensitive' phone.

No, it really isn't. While the case can get scratched or cracked, so can that of a "normal" cell phone -- as I can easily prove using my collection of old cell phones! (Including some that did not survive a dunking.)

I have seen very few people carry the iPhone on a belt holster, which I used to do (and see many people also doing) with my Treo 650. I wouldn't dare do so with my iPhone. I baby it like crazy, only put it in my left-side pocket, and I do not put anything in this pocket, lest the screen (which has a cover) gets scratched!

Despite what you say, the screen is not easily scratched. I've been carrying mine in a belt holster for months, and I've even dropped in on pavement a couple of times. No problems. My 13-year-old son has a Touch that he treats like crap -- just carries it in his pocket, with no protective covering of any kind. The case is scratched all to hell, but the screen is fine.

When riding a bike, I presume that there is a slight chance the GPS unit (be it the iPhone or TomTom) might fall loose. I feel that you have a better chance of salvaging a fallen TomTom than a fallen iPhone!

What makes you think a TomTom device -- including its screen -- is more rugged? Have you tested one by dropping it or abrading the screen?

Your concerns about the fragility of the iPhone are frankly misplaced. I'm sure there are those who share them, but I think you are incorrectly projecting them onto the iPhone population as a whole. I treat my iPhone as the tool it is, and it has so far proven itself up to the task of standing up to daily use and occasional abuse. No, I wouldn't put it in the same pocket as my keys, but I wouldn't do that with any other cell phone or electronic device, either!

solamar

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2008
Absolutely no way will I pay $10 per month. I will pay a one time charge and then maybe a periodic charge to get new maps. Hopefully TomTom or Garmin do this as they have done with other phones.

It's interesting. xRoads has a GPS app in the App Stpore called G-Map for $24.95.. Ive been using that for a few months.. It's not great, but for a one time $24.95 it's a hell of a lot better than $10/mo. It does have it's faults, mainly it's related to restrictions of the version 2 iphone firmware. It has trouble figuring out what road your on if their are several roads running very close parellel(IE normal road running along side a highway).. hehe and it's ability to figure out how fast your going is goofy.. From what I understand though, these issues are related to how iPhone 2.0 Firmware allows them to access the GPS hardware in the phone..

That being said, that just means I'm very much looking forward to their update for the 3.0 firmware - The app will be able to take advantage of the direct access to the GPS hardware(hell of a lot more accurate and faster route updates) and the added Turn-by-Turn and new landscape mode..

they demo'd it on YouTube - looks very nice.

In the end though, I'll still be compairing this to TomTom and may end up goign that way in the long run, but it's an ok interm solution.

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
We can also argue that the windshield mounts for the stand alone units are optional accessories, but there a few reasons that the windshield mount for the iPhone when used with the TomTom app might be a very very very good idea (and not having it a very very very bad idea)

The fact is that the windshield mount is optional, and not "required" as you previously stated. People will be able to purchase and use the TomTom app without the TomTom windshield mount.

- It is rumored that the new dock shall have a GPS chip embedded onto it to ensure enhanced GPS performance, especially for those who have the iPhone 2g and 3G.

This is a completely baseless rumor. There is no mention of an additional GPS chip (or even antenna) in any of TomTom's marketing materials, and there was no mention of it a WWDC. Either of these would be big selling points, and not likely to be omitted from their marketing.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if some companies were currently working on GPS hardware that connects to the iPhone's dock connector. But the TomTom dock is simply a windshield mount/charger with some holes in it to allow "speakerphone" function.

Well, I don't know whether the GPS works better when it has unfettered access to the heavens, but it is rumored that it works better. So, it is better to have the iPhone resting on a dock with an unobstructed view on the windshield, rather than an undocked iPhone resting on an obstructed cup holder.

I prefer to keep my windshield unobstructed. My iPhone rests comfortably in my cup holder, gets a clear GPS signal, and is completely unobstructed.

JonB3Z

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2009
This is a completely baseless rumor. There is no mention of an additional GPS chip (or even antenna) in any of TomTom's marketing materials, and there was no mention of it a WWDC. Either of these would be big selling points, and not likely to be omitted from their marketing.

It is not baseless, although it may not be accurate. It stems from TomTom's WWDC announcement where the cradle was described as giving "enhanced GPS performance." There are only two plausible ways I can think of to enhance the GPS performance: an external antenna and an external GPS receiver. I don't believe the iPhone provides any means of connecting an external antenna. It is conceivable, but unlikely, that the cradle could couple a proxy GPS signal into the iPhone. The most likely possibility, therefore, is that the cradle contains the same GPS reception hardware used in TomTom's stand-alone units, with the data from the GPS sent to the iPhone via the 30-pin connector.

I've tried them side-by-side, and the receiver in a stand-alone TomTom unit is much better than the iPhone's GPS receiver. (It may be the antenna that makes the difference rather than the receiver, but the point is that the performance is much better.) So it would make perfect sense for TomTom to offer a cradle that would bring their iPhone app up to the same level of performance as their stand-alone units.

TomTom has released very little detail so far, so I wouldn't take the lack of a specific mention of a feature to mean that feature doesn't exist. Once TomTom announces a ship date and releases the real marketing material, we'll see.

Tom G.

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Champaign/Urbana Illinois
Actually Verizon does charge a monthly rate for their turn by turn navigation system, but they also have a daily rate where you can pay for just the day you need it. Do you need a turn by turn system every day? Most likely not, so why should you have to pay for it? Once or twice a month or less you might need it so you pay for just that usage.

To make you pay for something you won't use that often smells of pure greed, especially when you're complaining about bandwith usage.

iluvgr8tdeals

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2009
The fact is that the windshield mount is optional, and not "required" as you previously stated. People will be able to purchase and use the TomTom app without the TomTom windshield mount.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if some companies were currently working on GPS hardware that connects to the iPhone's dock connector. But the TomTom dock is simply a windshield mount/charger with some holes in it to allow "speakerphone" function.

I prefer to keep my windshield unobstructed. My iPhone rests comfortably in my cup holder, gets a clear GPS signal, and is completely unobstructed.

Flowbee,

You did not open my second link that described the windshield mount having its own GPS chip and antenna. I shall post the link again and actually highlight what a TomTom insider said about it. Here goes...

http://gps.about.com/b/2009/06/10/more-details-on-tomtom-for-iphone-mount-has-its-own-gps-chip.htm

Tom Murray, TomTom's vice president for market development... For example, in the demo, TomTom stated that the mount "enhances" the iPhone's GPS. Really? How so? Turns out, the windshield mount actually has its own GPS chip and antenna inside, and when the iPhone is docked to the mount, it relies on the mount's GPS, says Murray. Wow. So much for depending on the iPhone's anemic GPS. The mount will "enhance reception in challenging areas, such as among tall buildings," says Murray.

I said that it was a rumor because I cannot prove it 100%. But, was it not a rumor that a new iPhone would be coming out in June 2009, or that the new iPhone OS would bring in cut, copy and paste, MMS, tethering, landscape, etc, etc. This rumor is one that can be categorized as those that usually turn out to be true!

gber

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2009
It makes sense that the TomTom dock would have its own GPS chip and antenna. The cost of these chips is about $3 and would extend the Application to the 1st gen iPhone and iPod touch...maybe!

Macintosh Sauce

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2006
USA
Dude! we (you) bend over and take it everyday from Comcast, Verizon, Time Warner, Roadrunner, Optimum Online, Con Edison, Dish Network, DirectTV, Sprint, T-Mobile, Qwest, GM, Wall Street, Exxon, Uncle Sam everyday. How is this different??

I knew there was a reason why my ass hurts so much. LOL

marco114

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2001
USA
a little slow, when I went a different direction than it told me, it kept thinking I was going the right way and it took almost 30 seconds before it started to re-calculate. i am definitely waiting for Tom tom..

Also, when getting a call, you are screwed, might as well pull over. maybe a headset would fix this problem?

raremage

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Orlando, Florida
I agree. $10/month for turn by turn GPS is standard.

Standard? There's a standard?

On Sprint, Navigation is included at no additional cost - so to them, $0/month is apparently the standard.

Others are selling the apps for a flat fee, with no monthly fee.

So why on earth would you claim this is "standard"...?

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
Well, I'm going on vacation right after the 4th and my drive is around 1,650 miles one way. If TomTom or Navigon aren't out, I'm going to go with the AT&T and cancel after a month. Better than nothing.
This is exactly my plan as well for my vacation starting later this week.

kdarling

macrumors P6
On Sprint, Navigation is included at no additional cost - so to them, $0/month is apparently the standard. Others are selling the apps for a flat fee, with no monthly fee. So why on earth would you claim this is "standard"...?

Perhaps he did so because the thread topic is ATT Navigator... which is $9.95 a month for all their compatible phones.

If the topic was TBT apps for all carriers and all phones in the world, then you would definitely have a point.

kmiahali

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2008
Manhattan, NYC
This may come in handy for those who want use their phones on the go and have the ease of using it while driving. It is great that phones are advancing this much, now if only phones could serve you food and transport you around the world that would be great.

samab

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2006
Yes they do, but many people usually don't pay for the updates (hence the feeling that $10 per month is on the higher side...)

Just as you don't have to pay for yearly updates for maps --- you also don't have to pay $10 every month as well.

Pay 2 months in July and August for the summer and 2-3 "day subscriptions" for long weekends --- amount to less than $30 a year.

iluvgr8tdeals

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2009
Just as you don't have to pay for yearly updates for maps --- you also don't have to pay $10 every month as well.

Pay 2 months in July and August for the summer and 2-3 "day subscriptions" for long weekends --- amount to less than $30 a year.

If you don't pay for the yearly updates, the stand-alone gps units still works (with outdated maps) However, if you don't pay the $10 monthly subscription, shall the app work? I don't think so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.