Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How much would you pay for the AT&T unlimited data plan for the iPad?

• $0

Votes: 104 28.3%
  • $1-100

Votes: 150 40.8%
  • $101-300

Votes: 26 7.1%
  • $301-500

Votes: 18 4.9%
  • $501-700

Votes: 13 3.5%
  • $701-900

Votes: 12 3.3%
  • $901-1100

Votes: 7 1.9%
  • $1100-1300

Votes: 7 1.9%
  • $1300-1500

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • More than $1500

Votes: 26 7.1%

• Total voters

TECHNOLOGE

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2014
Why is that?

Pretty much, he is more respected in the forum community and can stream line the process of the customers that are serious about buying. I'm not that really active on forums, i just support the customer after the transaction if they have any questions and new support.

WolfSnap

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2012
SoCal
I have an unlimited iPad plan -- one of the old grandfathered plans. I've often thought of selling it, but, for $30/mo for *really* unlimited data... It's just too good to get rid of. Although, if I did, I wouldn't sell it for less than $1000... It's just too valuable, especially as more and more data is used by all the different services available.

Only downside; no tethering allowed. :(

TECHNOLOGE

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2014
I have an unlimited iPad plan -- one of the old grandfathered plans. I've often thought of selling it, but, for $30/mo for *really* unlimited data... It's just too good to get rid of. Although, if I did, I wouldn't sell it for less than $1000... It's just too valuable, especially as more and more data is used by all the different services available.

I don't think you know the true power of the plan you have, if us look at my post in the 2 page of this forum, you can see I used almost 80GBS in one month, because I was tethering the data all month.

You are able to tether the data if your iPad is jailbroken, you can also use the iPad Data Unlimited Plan sim in a ATT UNITE & ATT UNITE PRO HotSpot and it works for me perfectly I still get 4G LTE speeds.

monkey28rb

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
My rMini is jailbroken and tethering enabled as well.. Truly unlimited 4g LTE data is nice. Only downside to the plan is, god forbid your credit card is declined one month, you lose it forever.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012

Yeah it can literally replace ones home internet if they so wanted. Either way att charges 50 for 5 gigs. 10 every gig after that. It adds up. The plan pays for itself quickly.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
I don't think you know the true power of the plan you have, if us look at my post in the 2 page of this forum, you can see I used almost 80GBS in one month, because I was tethering the data all month.

You are able to tether the data if your iPad is jailbroken, you can also use the iPad Data Unlimited Plan sim in a ATT UNITE & ATT UNITE PRO HotSpot and it works for me perfectly I still get 4G LTE speeds.

Yup if u did 80 gigs you're bill would be like 800 dollars for one month lol. These plans are great

WolfSnap

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2012
SoCal

I'd be worried that if I jailbroke and tethered, that AT&T would kill the plan..

Funny thing is that I really don't use the data plan that much -- I have 150Mbps/65Mbps Fiber, and only recently got LTE in my area. So, the data is only used when I travel; and since I work from home, it's not really used that much...

I keep it as I know the value of the plan, but, honestly, it's a bit of a waste on me....

Fun fact, I bought the SIM from the original owner of the plan for $250 about 3 years ago. Pretty sure it was a good purchase :)

TECHNOLOGE

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2014
I'd be worried that if I jailbroke and tethered, that AT&T would kill the plan..

Funny thing is that I really don't use the data plan that much -- I have 150Mbps/65Mbps Fiber, and only recently got LTE in my area. So, the data is only used when I travel; and since I work from home, it's not really used that much...

I keep it as I know the value of the plan, but, honestly, it's a bit of a waste on me....

Fun fact, I bought the SIM from the original owner of the plan for $250 about 3 years ago. Pretty sure it was a good purchase :)

Yeah, the plan is really aimed at people that hog data. I have had my plan for years and tethered every month since I had it, no problem with ATT.

aypues

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2012
San Diego
Yeah, the plan is really aimed at people that hog data. I have had my plan for years and tethered every month since I had it, no problem with ATT.

Yah, the pool of umlimited plan owners is so miniscule (there are like 35 of us lol) that is doesnt really affect them. P.s., they do warn you if your CC is declined. That happened to me one month and it was easy to fix by calling AT&T.

monkey28rb

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
Yah, the pool of umlimited plan owners is so miniscule (there are like 35 of us lol) that is doesnt really affect them. P.s., they do warn you if your CC is declined. That happened to me one month and it was easy to fix by calling AT&T.

What do you mean they warn you? How?

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010

Can I ask WHY you use 80GB in a month over LTE? I don't understand how people rack up that amount of data usage. My home connection is much faster and more stable than any LTE connection, so I would really have to deliberately try to hit those kinds of numbers.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
Can I ask WHY you use 80GB in a month over LTE? I don't understand how people rack up that amount of data usage. My home connection is much faster and more stable than any LTE connection, so I would really have to deliberately try to hit those kinds of numbers.

Believe me it's not hard. Stream tv shows or movies in hd, other users on hotspot doing the same. Streaming music, etc. it adds up quickly

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
How much would you pay someone who is selling their grandfathered AT&T unlimited data plan for $29.99/month for the iPad with unthrottled, unmetered LTE speeds? I have seen them going for over $1,000 regularly on eBay, and am wondering if this is worth it, or if it's outrageous.

Please note: the question in the poll is asking how much you would pay to buy this type of account from someone, not how much you would pay on a monthly basis.

Ive seen the crazy prices too. honestly makes sense if you really use it and will use it for a while. more like an investment than dishing out money.

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010
Believe me it's not hard. Stream tv shows or movies in hd, other users on hotspot doing the same. Streaming music, etc. it adds up quickly

But where are you that you don't have wifi access and are sharing out your connection to a bunch of people like that? I mean if you're road tripping all the time, then maybe.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
But where are you that you don't have wifi access and are sharing out your connection to a bunch of people like that? I mean if you're road tripping all the time, then maybe.

It's about not having to connect to wifi networks. And I have a wife and 3 kids. It's not hard

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010
It's about not having to connect to wifi networks. And I have a wife and 3 kids. It's not hard

I have one unlimited plan and the only reason I have it is as a backup internet connection for my mother in case her internet goes out ... Plus as a backup plan when the time comes that I might actually benefit from it. Saves me a lot of hassle.

I am a heavy tech guy and the idea of using 80gb over a mobile internet connection is very difficult when paired with my standard home and work connections. I barely touch 2gb now and that is with 3 people sharing the plan. To hit 80gb you must be out every night at a different place and using netflix to babysit the kids at the same time.

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
I have essentially paid at least $240 for my unlimited plan since I got it with my original iPad 3G, and never dropped it since I couldn't get it back.

I think I've gone over 2GB in a month twice, but there is always that worry I may need more some month.

If my iPad is still working fine when Apple stops supporting it (I'm on the 3rd generation model now), I may jail brake it to enable tethering support. I could then drop to a lower data plan on my phone.

Chocolatemilty

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
It's good to know that these iPad unlimited data plans are still out there. I was getting worried that many folks were shuttering the accounts and they were going by the wayside. I would look to have one on my iPad mini/air 2 when they drop later this year.

C-Hoorel

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2014

So you use your sim in a Unite Pro? How much data have you run through there in a month?

I am worried that they will pull the plan if they know its not in an iPad, and I really need to use an actual hotspot for my home internet, since I am moving to the sticks. Do you think Ill get cut off or it will still be unlimited and unthrottled?

Any info would help greatly.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
AT&T Unlimited Data Plan for iPad

So you use your sim in a Unite Pro? How much data have you run through there in a month?

I am worried that they will pull the plan if they know its not in an iPad, and I really need to use an actual hotspot for my home internet, since I am moving to the sticks. Do you think Ill get cut off or it will still be unlimited and unthrottled?

Any info would help greatly.

Well I've done over 100 gigs before no issue on my rmini with tetherme. I don't think it matters as long as u use the right hotspot. I just had to replace my rmini for a cracked screen and I haven't updated my imei. Still works no problem. Lemme know if youre interested. Technologe and I work together.

Last edited:

C-Hoorel

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2014
Well I've done over 100 gigs before no issue on my rmini with tetherme. I don't think it matters as long as u use the right hotspot. I just had to replace my rmini for a cracked screen and I haven't updated my imei. Still works no problem. Lemme know if youre interested. Technologe and I work together.

So you think if I move the nano sim to the AT&T Unite Pro I could be good? I really need this to work, I have no internet options in my rural area except LTE. Do you think I would be good with the Unite?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.