Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

herr_neumann

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2003
Roseville, Ca
How was I in any way being condescending? I was stating a FACT. Most LEO's go home every night. Deployed service members don't. Plus comparing a few possible deep undercover LEO's to hundreds of thousands of deployed US service members is not apples and oranges but apples and squash.

When less than 1% of the country signs on that dotted line and holds up their right hand you can't expect them to get it. They aren't capable of really understanding, so let him go back to playing COD and thinking he is "knows" what is going on....

Last edited by a moderator:

PaintTheSkyGrey

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2009
I think you should bother because I'd love to see how you defend your position. I made my points clear and pointed out FACTS that can't be desputed. No point discussing it with you or the other guy, you simply don't get it and possibly never will.
I however will take the word of my brother and many of the vet/guard/reserve LEO's out there that I have discussed deployments with (oh, and my now dead lifetime fire fighter father who knew my brothers and my deployments were way harder than being here in the states being a fireman who said many times "I don't know how you guys did it"), who all agree that being deployed is WAY harder than anything they have to do here in the states, over any one's here .

You (and apparently others that are possibly ignorant on the subject) are confusing PCS'd soldiers with deployed soldiers. I don't think a service member should get this service SIMPLY because they are a service member. I was stationed in Germany but I deployed to Iraq, see the difference? Being a deployed service member is an entirely different ball of wax.
You need to calm down. You're making soldiers look like we have something to prove. Ease up, dude. Have some professionalism.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Woah I just saw that the article said "Unlocking phones for deployed members still on contract".

That is pretty awesome of them seeing how as they lose money on every unlock due to not recouping the hardware cost in the contract.

I know from personal experience that phones in war zones can cost $$$. Not sure what they go for now but when I was over people paid between $100 - $400 for a prepaid phone that was ancient since regular phones couldn't be used over there due to carrier lock.

tayloralmond

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2009
Michigan, USA
I think you should bother because I'd love to see how you defend your position. I made my points clear and pointed out FACTS that can't be desputed. No point discussing it with you or the other guy, you simply don't get it and possibly never will.
I however will take the word of my brother and many of the vet/guard/reserve LEO's out there that I have discussed deployments with (oh, and my now dead lifetime fire fighter father who knew my brothers and my deployments were way harder than being here in the states being a fireman who said many times "I don't know how you guys did it"), who all agree that being deployed is WAY harder than anything they have to do here in the states, over any one's here .

You (and apparently others that are possibly ignorant on the subject) are confusing PCS'd soldiers with deployed soldiers. I don't think a service member should get this service SIMPLY because they are a service member. I was stationed in Germany but I deployed to Iraq, see the difference? Being a deployed service member is an entirely different ball of wax.

I agree completely. As a veteran of Iraq and Afghanistan, I know there's a big difference between being a cop/firefighter who is able to see their loved ones every day and sleep in their own bed every night and a soldier who is in a piece of crap country for a year and separated from his/her loved ones. I respect those who protect the homefront, I really do...but I resent individuals who belittle those who serve in the military...it's an illogical and undeserved argument.

MR1324

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2010
I agree completely. As a veteran of Iraq and Afghanistan, I know there's a big difference between being a cop/firefighter who is able to see their loved ones every day and sleep in their own bed every night and a soldier who is in a piece of crap country for a year and separated from his/her loved ones. I respect those who protect the homefront, I really do...but I resent individuals who belittle those who serve in the military because it's an illogical and undeserved argument.

no one is belittling anyone except droidrules.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
point is every service member is deployed ATLEAST once during their contract and its is for a very LONG time, which can go on and off for quite a few years, varying on your contract. While people here put there lives at risk, it doesn't compare to the military, not even close.

Police and firefighters aren't in a foreign country where everyone hates them and is trying to kill them... and contrary to popular belief, not every hates cops :rolleyes:

and not every foreign country wants to kill and hates our service members...

----------

You are very condescending and I am glad someone else recognized it besides me. It is clear that you think deployed service members are better and deserve special treatment over other occupations that help people here at home. Why? Because their work is in another country and they can't come home at night? Sounds like a high price to pay just to get a phone unlocked.

the enlistment bonus doesn't hurt either and surely has no bearing on making the decision to enlist...

all about protecting the country my ***. More like not knowing what to do with one's life and deciding to accept a hefty bonus to have a guaranteed job. Sorry, I know more than enough people whose mentality was this going in that I am jaded in this whole "patriotic" act

DroidRules

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2010
When less than 1% of the country signs on that dotted line and holds up their right hand you can't expect them to get it. They aren't capable of really understanding, so let him go back to playing COD and thinking he is "knows" what is going on....

Lol you're right! I'm gonna stop trying. I believe most that "know" what I'm talking about will back me, prob not many here on MR.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
I think we can all agree that it shouldn't matter where we are or what profession we are in; if ATT has the capabilities of providing certain services for free to certain customers, they should be providing it to all their customers.

I disagree entirely. Like any other carrier, they are under zero obligation to provide unlocking service to in-contract customers. They're "capable" of providing text messages and any other wireless service for free, does that mean they should? Not from a business standpoint.

MR1324

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2010
I disagree entirely. Like any other carrier, they are under zero obligation to provide unlocking service to in-contract customers. They're "capable" of providing text messages and any other wireless service for free, does that mean they should? Not from a business standpoint.

text messages cost money. unlocking is free. what are you talking about brohan

Quad 2.5 G5 =)

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2009
Actually, there's cell service in most places. I was deployed there with the US Army in 2009-2010 and had a cell phone with me (an unlocked 1st Gen iPhone). The provider I used, Etisalat, even had EDGE lol.

One of my best friends, who is in the Corps, purposely switched from AT&T to Verizon, just so if he deployed, he could use local service (Roshan, I think). Now he'll probably switch back to AT&T so he can have better faster service at home.

James Howlett

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2008
Abbotsford
You are very condescending and I am glad someone else recognized it besides me. It is clear that you think deployed service members are better and deserve special treatment over other occupations that help people here at home. Why? Because their work is in another country and they can't come home at night? Sounds like a high price to pay just to get a phone unlocked.

It's not just that they are doing something dangerous or that it's far away. It's the fact that when their country asked them to step forward they did. They are trained to protect the citizens of their country over their own lives. If you are willing to do that then you deserve an unlocked phone aswell. Until then, unlock their phones so they can phone home for a fair amount while deployed.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006

Hate to break it to you, but service members already get special treatment in a number of ways. Free plane rides into warzones, for example. Commissary prices on food at home and abroad. The GI Bill. Great health insurance and retirement benefits. Free housing.

And guess what? These benefits are all provided by law, you know... those things your elected representatives voted in favor of. If you don't like it, consider running for office on a "treat everyone equally" platform. Good luck. It's great to see that AT&T isn't waiting to be told by the government to do this for once.

Chris2k11

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2011
Thank you AT&T for supporting our troops, because it seems like not many people do now a days.

MR1324

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2010
It's not just that they are doing something dangerous or that it's far away. It's the fact that when their country asked them to step forward they did. They are trained to protect the citizens of their country over their own lives. If you are willing to do that then you deserve an unlocked phone aswell. Until then, unlock their phones so they can phone home for a fair amount while deployed.

wait, so when the nation has a nursing shortage and i step up to help those in need, i am still not deserving enough to get a simple unlock on my phone? :rolleyes: i'm trained to protect our citizens here, even those who people don't feel deserve to be helped (EX: correctional facilities). how are you going to say that a soldier trained in taking away life is more deserving that someone who is trained to save lives?

MR1324

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2010
Hate to break it to you, but service members already get special treatment in a number of ways. Free plane rides into warzones, for example. Commissary prices on food at home and abroad. The GI Bill. Great health insurance and retirement benefits. Free housing.

And guess what? These benefits are all provided by law, you know... those things your elected representatives voted in favor of. If you don't like it, consider running for office on a "treat everyone equally" platform. Good luck. It's great to see that AT&T isn't waiting to be told by the government to do this for once.

and they deserve all those things. let's see:

plane rides: costs money, so getting this for free in return for serving is well deserved.
food: costs money, so getting this for free in return for serving is well deserved.
health insurance: costs money, so getting this for free in return for serving is well deserved.
housing: costs money, so getting this for free in return for serving is well deserved.
unlocking a phone: doesn't cost anyone any money!

i'm not sure why that is so hard to understand. unlocking a phone doesn't cost anything! why not allow this option for everyone since it is FREE?

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
i'm not sure why that is so hard to understand. unlocking a phone doesn't cost anything! why not allow this option for everyone since it is FREE?

It might not be cost prohibitive to perform the action of unlocking the phone, but having a pool of unlocked phones certainly costs every carrier lost revenue. If you know anything about Apple's business model you should be able to understand this. Vendor lock-in is nothing new, and it's also a smart business practice. Maybe Apple should allow Android apps on the iPhone. "It costs them nothing to allow it." Why not allow this option for everyone since it's free?

Do you see how ridiculous your argument is?

rrollin

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2012
Chicago
I could care less what someone does as work: soldier, cashier, trucker, stripper etc. etc. etc.. Everybody works to make money and support themselves and their families.

Military is just a job, you enlist and go to work and do what they tell you. You get a job at McDonald's and you go to work and do what they tell you, pretty much the same, if you think different, not much to argue, but work is work.period.

If the "JOB" one takes requires them to be away from their family and into dangerous parts of the world, I don't feel bad for you or praise you. Simple thing to do in that instance: change jobs. If you are in military and can't just change jobs, locations, or just leave, You knew that when you signed the dotted line with the smooth talking recruiter right?

The main question [that nobody asked or answered yet] What does ATT require for the military in-contract unlock?? Can I just tell them I'm a soldier and then get the unlock or what?

Since they are only unlocking off-contract for "everybody" else, what are their procedures for these (IMO undeserved) lucky few that are in a military service by choice??

MR1324

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2010
It might not be cost prohibitive to perform the action of unlocking the phone, but having a pool of unlocked phones certainly costs every carrier lost revenue. If you know anything about Apple's business model you should be able to understand this. Vendor lock-in is nothing new, and it's also a smart business practice. Maybe Apple should allow Android apps on the iPhone. "It costs them nothing to allow it." Why not allow this option for everyone since it's free?

Do you see how ridiculous your argument is?

just because the option is available, doesn't mean everyone is going to take advantage of it. if ATT has great coverage and services in the area, why would someone change carriers? you're right, it doesn't make business sense to unlock phones that are in contract. that means att is willingly losing money by providing these service men and women with the unlock. does that make business sense? like i said, just shows how crappy ATT is as a company to only allow the option to the select few when there are many deserving people here who should have the option as well.

BTW: ATT already started unlocking out of contract phones 2 days ago. have you seen any major news headlines about ATT losing millions of customers?

Last edited:

PaintTheSkyGrey

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2009
just because the option is available, doesn't mean everyone is going to take advantage of it. if ATT has great coverage and services in the area, why would someone change carriers? you're right, it doesn't make business sense to unlock phones that are in contract. that means att is willingly losing money by providing these service men and women with the unlock. does that make business sense? like i said, just shows how crappy ATT is as a company to only allow the option to the select few when there are many deserving people here who should have the option as well.

You are free to not do business with AT&T if you wish. It's still a mixed market economy, and the iPhone is not just locked into them anymore. They are a private company and can do what they choose to do (within legal boundaries, of course). If you don't like it, you can terminate your contract or not renew.

MR1324

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2010
You are free to not do business with AT&T if you wish. It's still a mixed market economy, and the iPhone is not just locked into them anymore. They are a private company and can do what they choose to do (within legal boundaries, of course). If you don't like it, you can terminate your contract or not renew.

i don't have any problem with my phone being locked, but i do have a problem with people who think they are entitled to more than others.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.