Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eXoenDo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
I just was able to enable Wi-Fi calling in Minneapolis. I was not part of the beta before and I have an Unlimited Data Plan. Is anyone else seeing that this is live now?

Tarp09GT

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2009
I just was able to enable Wi-Fi calling in Minneapolis. I was not part of the beta before and I have an Unlimited Data Plan. Is anyone else seeing that this is live now?

Yes I just turned mine on. Will test when I get home as I get crappy reception at home.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Turned it on for my iPhone 6. Fine print says it does not work outside the U.S., Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Bummer. Would've been nice to use it while abroad.

Reactions: TechnicallyTee

DHeck

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2010
Pgh, PA

It working for me now as well, I live in Pittsburgh, Pa. Thanks for the post!!!

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
Are there any downsides to turning this on besides the potential 9-1-1 stuff?
Every so often I will get one way audio. I disconnect and call again but if the alternative is little to no signal I will take the double call. Its not every time but be aware you might have it until everything is 100% ironed out. Which now that its open to everyone it might be. I have had it since beta.

minicard

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2014
Oregon
Turned it on for my iPhone 6. Fine print says it does not work outside the U.S., Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Bummer. Would've been nice to use it while abroad.

Will it work if you have VPN?
Live here in Portland, OR !

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
Will it work if you have VPN?
Live here in Portland, OR !
Yes, VPN is fine so long as the connection is not blocking the port. The service itself is fine with any connection you have that is a good quality wifi signal.

DHeck

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2010
Pgh, PA
Hey all, so I turned on wifi calling and got the message saying it could take a few minuets. 30 min later still nothing, so I decided to do a reboot of phone, upon rebooting it I have the "wifi" showing now on top of my home screen. Could be coincidence but figured if anyone else couldn't figure out why it wasn't turning on, the reboot turned it on for me.

Reactions: jmfangio

jtrue28

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2015
Lexington, KY
happy0030.gif

mjcxp

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
Hey all, so I turned on wifi calling and got the message saying it could take a few minuets. 30 min later still nothing, so I decided to do a reboot of phone, upon rebooting it I have the "wifi" showing now on top of my home screen. Could be coincidence but figured if anyone else couldn't figure out why it wasn't turning on, the reboot turned it on for me.
Same, would not show up until I rebooted.

crazyeyes

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2005
Easton PA
Put the iPhone in airplane mode, turn on WiFi and try to make a call.
That worked, so here's my question will it default to wifi calling when on wifi? Cause it seemed that when I was in airplane mode and on wifi calls were so much clearer than with airplane mode off and wifi still on. So I feel like it is using cell towers when it has signal and wifi only when it doesn't?

ohio.emt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Ohio
Probably a coincidence, if you had good cell signal when you switched wifi calling on the phone wouldn't have switched to wifi calling since it only uses it when signal is weak.

That worked, so here's my question will it default to wifi calling when on wifi? Cause it seemed that when I was in airplane mode and on wifi calls were so much clearer than with airplane mode off and wifi still on. So I feel like it is using cell towers when it has signal and wifi only when it doesn't?
AT&T currently only has it set to switch to wifi signal if the cell signal drops below a certain threshold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.