Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 20, 2003
UT
I am about to buy a 900 ibook. I am not sure if apple.com will charge sales tax (I am in SC, and there are no Apple stores here). I did the "mock" purchase, all the way up to the credit card information. The button says "Place my order."

So I'm thinking (hoping) that Apple will be upfront about the tax before the purchase is totally finalized.

If there is tax, I'll just go to a reseller.

Anyone know?

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
yeah i was just wondering this too. i went with the Apple Instant Loan and i also did a mock purchase and there was no tax up till the end. it would be helpful to know since i'll have to cover the tax with my credit card. for some reason i think they charge whatever your local sales tax is depending on where you live. not sure though. maybe someone else can jump in who knows for sure.

evil

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2003
chicago ex-toronto
they do put a tax on it. unfortunately.
i live in canada and they were gonna tax me. i called and asked the applestore. i got someone in california

toughboy

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Izmir, Turkey
Great question and no exact answers!...

does anyone know the tax rate?!?

I'm living in Turkey, and I plan to come to US this summer..
Well, I wonder about Soho and other Apple Stores, but I can buy from Online Store too, but buying from online store should differ something in price.. understand?..

is there anyone who bought online?? dont you know this matter???

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 20, 2003
UT
Originally posted by Eniregnat
If there is an Apple store in your state then there will be tax.
The closest place that sells Macs in this state is 3 hours away, and it's a CompUSA.

No Apple stores here. One in Atlanta, GA, but I'm in SC. So does this mean no tax? I don't feel like paying $80 in tax, even if shipping is free.

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
Apple is not compelled to pay (and collect) state sales tax if there is no company owned retail outlet or headquarters with in that state. So if Georgia has a an Apple store and you live in South Carolina and there is no Apple store in SC, then Apple is not required to pay and collect sales tax.

But- Many retailers have started collecting and paying sales tax for orders, regardless of weather they are compelled to or not. They are doing this not to make money, but rather avoid paying when/if congress mandates that sales tax be levied on all cross-state orders. It hasn't happened yet, but it a debate topic that comes to the surface every year. (If it does happen, they might try to make it retro active).

Now for Turkey. If you purchase a computer using Turkey's Apple Store then you should be subject to what ever import taxes and local taxes they apply. (It looks as though Apple has subcontracted or is working with 3 companies to sell Apple's in Turkey)

If you purchase in New York the worst sales tax should be 8.5% (multiply by 1.085 to get the total). AppleCare is not taxed (services are not taxed) and if you get footwear in NY I don't think that your taxed. If you happen to be going to Washington State, not DC, I believe that there is 0% sales tax. I hope that this helps.

Off toppic: toughboy One of the countries that hope to visit soon is Turkey. If you had two weeks to see Turkey, what would you suggest visiting?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.