Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevietheb

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2004
Houston
Will I be able to use the USB port on my Mac keyboard for the ATI Remote Wonder? Or will I need to plug it into the back of my iMac?

Thanks...

Xapplimatic

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2001
California
Well, provided that it doesn't pull more than the current allowed to drive a USB drive on a keyboard port ("unpowered") .. it will work on the keyboard.. This means it has to work on 250mA or less... The computer's direct USB port on my iMac for example provides at least 500mA to power an unpowered device (hence two ports on the keyboard divide that down to 250mA each or less)..Check the product power requirements to know what you can get away with.. To find out how much power your computer is supplying to your USB ports, look in System Profiler (OS X Apple menu, About this Mac, More Info...)

Worse to worse you can get a "power injector" to add power at the port on the keyboard by plugging in an AC:DC converter into a special USB plug which marries that to the data from your underpowered port to make a hungry device happy.. now add a port splitte to that and you have yourself a powered USB hub.. lol..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.