Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VideoNewbie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
ATT next is a huge ripoff in comparison to the 2 year contract pricing

Let's give one scenario on ATT 2 year vs ATT next 12.

ATT 2 year:
the 2 year contract pricing for a 6+ last year was around 599 and you would own the phone outright.

With ATT next:
you'd still be paying around 599 at the one year mark (at 40 something a month) yet you won't own the phone until you pay off the full amount which is around the same price as a full priced unlocked phone.

Is there any way to still get the ATT 2 year contract pricing?

KBS756

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009

ATT 2 year:
the 2 year contract pricing for a 6+ last year was around 599 and you would own the phone outright.

With ATT next:
you'd still be paying around 599 at the one year mark (at 40 something a month) yet you won't own the phone until you pay off the full amount which is around the same price as a full priced unlocked phone.

Depends actually ... If your on a mobile share data plan the rate plan is cheaper and then your paying for the whole phone at 0% for 24 months

the 2 Year contract i believe you didn't get the discounted rate plan and that essentially was paying for the rest of the phone anyway retail - the up front divided over 24 months and at times possible even more than that

VideoNewbie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
I did the math for my situation and its completely better to get the 2 year subsidy pricing. I read that you can still do this directly on the ATT website is this true?

sqa4life

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2011
I did the math for my situation and its completely better to get the 2 year subsidy pricing. I read that you can still do this directly on the ATT website is this true?
Yep. I preordered the 6s+ last night on att website. 2 yrs contract, 64gb 6s+, 399 + tax.

nikhsub1

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2007
mmmm... jessica.'s beer...

ATT 2 year:

With ATT next:

Gotta love ignorant posters who think they know everything yet are completely wrong. If you had any clue as to what next is, you would not say it is a scam.

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
Not true. You don't really think you are paying just the subsidized price for your phone? You have to pay $40 per line plus your subsidized amount up front and even after you pay for two years, you still are being charged $40 per line. Next is 0 interest spread out into monthly payments for the price of the phone. No contract. You choose what you want to do with it. Pif and keep or trade in your phone every year and upgrade. With the value plan you do not get charged $40 per line. If under 10gb plan you pay $25 per line. If you have 10gb or higher plan, you pay only $15 per line.

Next and the Value plan are two different things. Next gives you an affordable way to get a new phone with interest free monthly payments and a way to upgrade every year. The value plan gives you a discount per line depending on your plan.

Reactions: Four oF NINE

VideoNewbie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
Gotta love ignorant posters who think they know everything yet are completely wrong. If you had any clue as to what next is, you would not say it is a scam.

For my situation I would be paying about 600 to rent the phone with ATT next. I would not get to keep the phone in a year.

With ATT contract I am paying about 600 and I get to keep the phone & sell it in a year's time and get 500-600 back.

zlogs

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2013

AT&T next used to be a terrible deal versus the 2 year contract, but now that ATT has made their monthly service cheaper for bring your own device/Next customers it is a much more smart way to go. Plus, you don't have to come out of pocket to do it which is always a plus.

Lets do some scenarios:
AT&T Next 24 months for a iPhone 6s plus 128gb
(30 months to pay it off) - $31.64 x 30 =
$950
plus $15 for the service fee every month - 15 * 30
$950 + $450 = Final cost for Next = $1400

AT&T Classic 2 year contract for a iPhone 6s plus 128 gb
$499 up front for the subsidized cost of the phone
$499
plus $40 for the service fee every month (because 2 year contracts have - 40 * 24
$499 + $960 = Final cost for 2 year contract = $1459

You could plug in the same exact formula for the shorter term next contracts and it would come out to the same final cost, but you would have a higher monthly payment.

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
For my situation I would be paying about 600 to rent the phone with ATT next. I would not get to keep the phone in a year.

With ATT contract I am paying about 600 and I get to keep the phone & sell it in a year's time and get 500-600 back.

You have a 2 yr contract, not 1 yr. You most certainly can keep the phone if you pay it off. You do not have to trade it in if you don't want to.

VideoNewbie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
Not true. You don't really think you are paying just the subsidized price for your phone? You have to pay $40 per line plus your subsidized amount up front and even after you pay for two years, you still are being charged $40 per line.

On the subsidized price I am paying around 599 for the phone + 40 per line. Yes that is correct

Next is 0 interest spread out into monthly payments for the price of the phone. No contract. You choose what you want to do with it. Pif and keep or trade in your phone every year and upgrade.

You choose what you want to do with it other than sell it. With 2 year subsidized price I can sell it whenever I want, whereas with ATT next I can only sell it after I've made 20 payments which total the full retail price of the phone. Also, Under Next I am still paying $40 per line correct?

With the value plan you do not get charged $40 per line. If under 10gb plan you pay $25 per line. If you have 10gb or higher plan, you pay only $15 per line.

I have 2 lines with a data plan ($15 & $25) and 1 line with an unlimited data plan for $30. How would the value plan apply to me?

VideoNewbie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
You have a 2 yr contract, not 1 yr. You most certainly can keep the phone if you pay it off. You do not have to trade it in if you don't want to.

I have a 2 year contract but I can upgrade using another line on the account.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
On AT&T, once you either:

1) complete your 2 year contract
Or
2) pay the ETF

You will be switched automatically to the lower service price, either $25 or $15 based on data plan.

-Kevin

VideoNewbie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
Incorrect. $15 per phone on a shared data plan, so you save $25 per month without using the subsidy. Over 2 years that is a $600 savings...

Except I can't do shared data plan since I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan on one of the line's

Hence back to my original statement of "for my situation ATT next is a ripoff" .....

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
Except I can't do shared data plan since I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan on one of the line's

Hence back to my original statement of "for my situation ATT next is a ripoff" .....

You can't say it's a rip off (Scam) because you want to keep your unlimited plan. You didn't even know how it worked and just spouted off without knowing the facts.

nrvna76

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2010
Title just says it's a scam... Which it isn't.. But you're the only one who can compare all the costs to see what works better for you. But I do think that contracts will be gone eventually, and you'll have to buy phones at full price to keep your unlimited. Then NEXT may work better for you. I think you can still do a contract this year.

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere

ATT 2 year:

With ATT next:

You are misunderstanding what AT&T Offers. To save yourself further confusion, read their terms conveniently posted on the site. :)

wilhub

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2009
Texas
AT&T next used to be a terrible deal versus the 2 year contract, but now that ATT has made their monthly service cheaper for bring your own device/Next customers it is a much more smart way to go. Plus, you don't have to come out of pocket to do it which is always a plus.

Lets do some scenarios:
AT&T Next 24 months for a iPhone 6s plus 128gb
(30 months to pay it off) - $31.64 x 30 =
$950
plus $15 for the service fee every month - 15 * 30
$950 + $450 = Final cost for Next = $1400

AT&T Classic 2 year contract for a iPhone 6s plus 128 gb
$499 up front for the subsidized cost of the phone
$499
plus $40 for the service fee every month (because 2 year contracts have - 40 * 24
$499 + $960 = Final cost for 2 year contract = $1459

You could plug in the same exact formula for the shorter term next contracts and it would come out to the same final cost, but you would have a higher monthly payment.

Thanks this was very helpful. I wondered how it worked.

I chose to pay for mine in full. It gives me the option to leave AT&T.

I can't wait. I am going from a iPhone 5 32gb to a iPhone 6s 128gb.

Reactions: bchreng and bronzi

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
You choose what you want to do with it other than sell it. With 2 year subsidized price I can sell it whenever I want, whereas with ATT next I can only sell it after I've made 20 payments which total the full retail price of the phone. Also, Under Next I am still paying $40 per line correct?

Incorrect. In either case you can sell the phone whenever you want.

The difference is in what your remaining obligation to ATT is. Under Next, you only owe the remaining balance on the phone. You can pay that immediately and walk. Under contract, you have to let that entire 2 year deal play out before you're "free".

Also, you get a discount per line when you are on the next plan. The cost per line is $25.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
You choose what you want to do with it other than sell it. With 2 year subsidized price I can sell it whenever I want, whereas with ATT next I can only sell it after I've made 20 payments which total the full retail price of the phone.
You can sell, blend, or throw away a phone that you bought with Next anytime you want. Of course you are still responsible for paying down the installment plan, just like you are responsible for paying the baked-in subsidies for the full 2 years if you are on contract.

Reactions: aristobrat

Mr D

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2007
1. One is a contract, one is not.

2. 2 year contract has an upgrade fee.

3. If you sell your phone, you can use the proceeds to pay off next and reduce your total Next payments for the phone.

2 year contracts are no good..

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Well, I am thinking in getting the 2y contract. I use AT&T and for most part have no interest in leaving. Their service has been fair IMO.
My lame math

Getting 3 iPhones for family
(two 6S/16gb and one 6S+/64gb)
2y - $200 each and $400 = $800
24 months family shared plan $ 2832
total: $3632

no upgrade fee for me since I have a corporate account. But that's $45 for 3 phones.

Next 24 (30 installments)
$650 x2= 1300 and $850 = $2150
24 months family shared plan with $25 monthly discount on data = $2232
total: $4382

So a $750 difference. I don't mind to hold my phone for 2 years and keep it after it expires. With Next you must return the phone unless you make all the 30 installments.

Unless I am missing something, it's a no brainer to go with the 2y agreement. Next IMO it is a ripoff for someone like me. Sure I understand if you want to upgrade every year then some folks might want to go the Next route.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.