Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacProDude

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 16, 2006
SF Bay Area, CA
Got some Ultimate Ears SuperFi 5vi buds. The cable's busted near the jack or below the mic. Was thinking about just connecting the buds to the Apple cable, as it has volume control, too.

Was wondering if anyone else has tried this with SuperFi *vi earbuds. Not sure if they disassemble ok and reattach to Apple cable well.

Thanks.

LoneWolf121188

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
Longmont, CO
I'm confused...what exactly are you trying to do? Cut the cable above where it's busted and attach it to a different cable? You could try that, but the cable is a little complicated (google TRRS connector). Probably your best bet is to send em in to UE to get them repaired.

Awesome buds, btw. I have a pair and use them all the time. Quick tip I just discovered a few weeks ago: you can plug them into the headphone port on your Mac and use the microphone on the earbuds! I thought you'd need a splitter to send the mic signal into the audio in port on my MBP, but it turns out you don't!

MacProDude

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 16, 2006
SF Bay Area, CA
Thanks. I was thinking about detaching the ear buds from the Apple cable at the bud, detaching the ear buds from the 5vi's at the bud, and reattaching the 5vi buds to the Apple cable.

That way, I get the Apple mic and volume controls with the 5vi buds at the end. Not sure how the 5vi's are attached to the cable or how easy it is to pry the buds apart.

If I just replaced the TRRS connector (thanks, didn't know the term!) and keep the rest the same, I'd still have the 5vi's mic/button but no volume control. :(

LoneWolf121188

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
Longmont, CO
Instead of disassembling the ear buds, you'd be better off just cutting the cable that goes to them and splicing it to the apple cable. That *should* work, as you're just splicing coax to coax. Just make sure you connect both the signal line and the shielding. No guarantee though...good luck, and let me know if it works!

SMacDuff

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2006
Stockholm, Sweden
I've done what you're trying to do with my old AKG over-ear headphones and it worked fine but they disassemble easier. Trying to find a way in to the solder points is the difficult part but is a much better solution than splicing the cables.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.