Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lee1210

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 10, 2005
Dallas, TX
All,

It was brought up in another thread, but I didn't want to completely hijack it for this purpose.

I spent a little (very little) time adding some links and information to the Cocoa FAQ. I changed the link text from the forum head to "How do I get started programming on the Mac?" to hopefully guide people there more readily, as newcomers may not know what Cocoa means.

I'd encourage everyone to beef up the FAQ to include more iPhone specific examples, and links to any helpful tutorials, etc.

I think it would be good to have a "one-stop shop" for newcomers instead of us posting essentially the same answers to the "I want to write apps for the iPhone. I've never programmed/never programmed for the Mac before, where do I start?" type questions over and over again. Instead I think having a solid reference would go far, so questions are more like "Why doesn't the first class I wrote work?" where we can actually provide helpful guidance instead of continually spewing the same answers to the same questions ad infinitum.

If you guys have the time, try to beef the Cocoa FAQ more to make it a real resource. There were some links, and I tried to add more, to make it more complete.

-Lee

It was brought up in another thread, but I didn't want to completely hijack it for this purpose.

I spent a little (very little) time adding some links and information to the Cocoa FAQ. I changed the link text from the forum head to "How do I get started programming on the Mac?" to hopefully guide people there more readily, as newcomers may not know what Cocoa means.

I'd encourage everyone to beef up the FAQ to include more iPhone specific examples, and links to any helpful tutorials, etc.

I think it would be good to have a "one-stop shop" for newcomers instead of us posting essentially the same answers to(snip)
yeah, that was likely the guides original intent. so, keep improving the "permanent" rumors FAQ/guide pages. When "someone" replies with extensive info, hopefully "someone" (someone else?) will review that from perspective of adding the reply as a writeup for the guides.

one labor-saving suggestion: link out to the "usual" references (wikipedia comes to mind).
preferably don't "repeat" info that's well-covered at wikipedia. instead contribute blobs of prose which are original, rather than "sourcable" info (that info should be in wikipedia, since "sourcability" is a wikipedia requirement, per encyclopedia tradition).
Of course, complete topics which wikipedia ignores have the same appropriateness for rumors guide.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.