ATV and avi files?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by mdwsta4, Sep 1, 2010.

1. macrumors 6502a

am i reading the tech specs right that it will play avi files? or just audio?
    http://www.apple.com/appletv/specs.html

i'd love to have something that would allow me to stream downloaded avi movies directly onto my tv. currently i connect my MBP to my tv with HDMI cables. i also like the idea of streaming music and album art to my tv (which again, i connect my MBP to my tv). for $99 it seems like a great deal, but if it doesn't stream avi it's not worth it to me.

2. Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

AVI is a container format. It depends on how the video is encoded, not that the file is ".avi".

3. macrumors 6502a

I've just noticed that as well:-

Seems pretty limited through for avi. The old ATV spec are no longer on the apple site so I can't compare them.

4. macrumors 6502a

Yes avi is the container and M-JPEG is the encoding type.

5. macrumors newbie

Lefty29

AVI = Divx

I think what we all really want to know is:

Will it play Divx encoded AVI's.

Unfortunately I find this doubtful and will likely be a deal-breaker for me.

6. macrumors 65816

Cliff3

7. macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

No Divx I'm afraid. Apple only really want you to buy/rent from iTunes. I'm in same position, have 500GB of .avi and not going to convert the lot!

I picked up an LG DVD player that supports Divx, upscaling and has USB port for £50. Or there are other media boxes which will stream whatever you like (within reason!)