Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
So I finally broke down and bought an ATV, the $69 version about a month ago. I just got around to setting it up this past week and I'm impressed with some aspects of the user interface. Signing in uses the same lame array of letters scrolling around one letter at a time most other devices such as Tivo use, but the rest of the ATV interface is beautiful, except...

I decided to play songs from one of my iTunes playlist. I was enjoying it but decided I wanted to listen to iTunes Radio and hear something new. This wouldn't be a problem except when I started listening to the classical channel by picking it with the select button on my remote, my jazz resumed playing at the same time. The only way I could stop it was by hitting the play/pause button on the remote. This lead to some silly situations. For instance, if I wanted to sign in to iCloud, for every. single. letter. in my username and password for which I hit select, my playlist play would alternately resume and pause. This has to be some sort of bug. Should I restart the ATV? I've searched mroogle and can't find this issue.

On Apple communities someone reported that to solve this they had to turn off the infrared receiver on their laptop. Only one problem. I don't have a laptop in the room, it's at the other end of the house on a different floor. In the same room as the ATV, I have a Mac mini buried under a desk that I'm pretty sure can't "see" my ATV remote. Besides, isn't ATV supposed to play my playlist from iTunes in the cloud rather than rely on a nearby Mac anyway?

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
it's the mini, turn the IR receiver off.

it's amazing how far an IR signal will bounce when you don't want it to.

also, as a hint....
the remote app on iOS gives you a keyboard to type with, makes things MUCH easier.

Reactions: r0k

r0k

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
it's the mini, turn the IR receiver off.

it's amazing how far an IR signal will bounce when you don't want it to.

also, as a hint....
the remote app on iOS gives you a keyboard to type with, makes things MUCH easier.

Yes that was it. Then the audio was completely dead and I had to restart the ATV to get any sound whatsoever. Now I'm fiddling with the screensavers trying to get something less repetitive than National Geographic (although they are beautiful). Woohoo! Flickr explore just kicked in. Unlimited ever changing photos while I listen to my classical music. This alone was worth the price of ATV. Well that's not entirely true. This along with the ability to watch my home movie collection would be worth the price of ATV. More on this later in another thread...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.