Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gpezzino

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008
Like many others, I found out after receiving the new Apple TV that it does not work with my HDMI to DVI connection. I will have to return it. Has anybody tried to convince Apple to wave the restocking fee in such cases? Thank you.

WiiDSmoker

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2009
Dallas, TX
It is your fault for assuming that it would work. ATV uses HDCP so a simple HDMI to DVI cord is not going to work.

That said, this whole restocking fee BS needs to go away.

philipk

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2008
It is your fault for assuming that it would work. ATV uses HDCP so a simple HDMI to DVI cord is not going to work.

That said, this whole restocking fee BS needs to go away.

Many sets with DVI connectors have HDCP that will work. My old rear projection Sony worked with HDCP.

A buyer has to know which DVI version they have.

gpezzino

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008
Thanks for your unfriendly reply.

As you could see if you would bother to look around, there are many, many people who made the "wrong assumption" as you call it, based on experience with tons of other HDMI devices that work just fine when connected to a DVI port.

But obviously you take more pleasure in snapping back at people and calling them on their mistakes....

philipk

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2008
FYI

HDCP is a copy protection scheme that content providers demanded to provide HD content.

Currently, only a few devices use it.

My HD-DVD player did not require HDCP to decode HD-DVD's. However, it did require HDCP to upscale DVD's! When I first hooked it up to my old Sony I used the component inputs. The HD-DVD's worked fine but it wouldn't upscale the DVD's (a warning was posted before scaling to 480p). I then used the HDMI to DVI converter and I got the upscaling I wanted.

I know this is off topic but it explains why the original poster got his TV to work with most HDMI devices but not the ATV.

To the original poster, it doesn't hurt to try as it was an HONEST mistake.

gpezzino

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008
FYI

HDCP is a copy protection scheme that content providers demanded to provide HD content.

Currently, only a few devices use it.

My HD-DVD player did not require HDCP to decode HD-DVD's. However, it did require HDCP to upscale DVD's! When I first hooked it up to my old Sony I used the component inputs. The HD-DVD's worked fine but it wouldn't upscale the DVD's (a warning was posted before scaling to 480p). I then used the HDMI to DVI converter and I got the upscaling I wanted.

I know this is off topic but it explains why the original poster got his TV to work with most HDMI devices but not the ATV.

To the original poster, it doesn't hurt to try as it was an HONEST mistake.

Thank you, this is (more) helpful.

ringonbob

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2009
I do not want to return my brand new AppleTV2.* My Sony HD TV supports 720 P (HDCP compliant), and better, but only has a DVI input.* The Apple Store employees sold me a Belkin HDMI to DVI cable and said that it should work, but I get a wobbly/waterfall effect with the picture.* I have made two calls to Apple Support and they both said that Apple does not support this connection and know of no plans to address this issue.

I have since emailed Steve Jobs, but gotten no response. If anyone finds a solution, please advise. Otherwise, I suggest that we all email Steve.

PurdueGuy

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
I do not want to return my brand new AppleTV2.* My Sony HD TV supports 720 P (HDCP compliant), and better, but only has a DVI input.* The Apple Store employees sold me a Belkin HDMI to DVI cable and said that it should work, but I get a wobbly/waterfall effect with the picture.* I have made two calls to Apple Support and they both said that Apple does not support this connection and know of no plans to address this issue.

I have since emailed Steve Jobs, but gotten no response. If anyone finds a solution, please advise. Otherwise, I suggest that we all email Steve.

Sounds like a defective cable, AppleTV or TV, and I'm leaning towards the cable. Can you hook up something else with the cable and see if the problem disappears?

The image should either be there, or not. The signals in DVI and HDMI are the same, just the HDCP handshake and connector are different.

Florida Gator

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2004
It isn't a defective cable, it is a bug/limitation of AppleTV 2. I had it and Tech Support told me it was unsupported. Because it isn't noted on their website, and because they sell an HDMI-DVI cable on their website saying it will work with AppleTV, I was able to return it with no restocking or shipping fee. You all should demand the same.

And for the record DVI connections can be HDCP compliant. Mine is, AppleTV just doesn't talk correctly to it.

alfonsog

Contributor
Jul 17, 2002
Cape Coral, FL
I guess if you want AppleTV-2 you need to have a TV that supports HDMI (most all do now), but then by next year you need to upgrade the TV again to a 3D with active shutter glasses to keep up with tech, but then by next year another RealD-TV with to use passive 3d real-d glasses (of course not compatible with current 3d tv's) and then by the next year a no glasses 3D tv.

It seems that TV's now have a upgrade path every 1-2 years like computers, then you sell or move them around... it's crazy! I think we had the same TV for around 15 years growing up. I will say I wouldn't buy any box that couldn't be directly connected without any adapters.

Also I used to use AppleTV-1 to rent stuff but now I just use it for airtunes and viewing my library, its much cheaper for me to walk 1/2 a block to the redbox and rent the current blu-ray new release for $1.50

SlowButEffectiv

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2010
To answer the OP's question

I called in just now to Apple Store customer service and told the rep that I would like to return the product as it doesn't work for me. She didn't ask for details, and didn't ask if I had spoken to technical support. She emailed me the return label and waived the restocking fee. This is probably because a couple weeks have passed and Apple is realizing that it was reasonable for customers to assume that an HDMI/DVI cable would work.

HDCP is irrelevant here, since it only comes into play on protected content: *all* content on the Apple TV is wavy for those of us that have the problem.

[Edit: Didn't mean to imply by my title that no-one else has answered the OP's question]

cornbrown

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2010
Well I have an older Samsung that has the DVI input. I use a Belkin HDMI to DVI cable to connect my ATV2. My connection goes as follows. ATV2 to my Sony A/V reciever's HDMI in, Sony A/V reciever HDMI out to DVI in on Samsung TV. It works with no problems for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.