Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Raff42

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2012
Liverpool
Hey,
I am having a problem with my ATV2, it freezes mid stream and says it can't play the content at the moment and to try again later. Now I know the fix for this is to reset the ATV2 but I am having to reset it almost every day. Is there a more permanent fix or am i just gonna have to upgrade to ATV3?
(I ask this secretly hoping for an excuse to spend money on ATV3, #gadgetfreak, LOL)

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I've had similar issues using Netflix, but they seem to have gone away when I upgraded from 3Mb cable to 10Mb cable.

Raff42

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2012
Liverpool
My set up is i store my iTunes on my drive, which is connected to my mini. Then my ATV 2 is attached to my tv. all are on my network. I have changed all my wires up and it does it with every wire, including new ones. Do you need to know anything else?

awesome blog Blueroom.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
My set up is i store my iTunes on my drive, which is connected to my mini. Then my ATV 2 is attached to my tv. all are on my network. I have changed all my wires up and it does it with every wire, including new ones. Do you need to know anything else?

awesome blog Blueroom.

How much network traffic do you have going on while trying to watch videos? Are you streaming or transferring files on other computers while watching tv?

What happens if you take it to another network (if possible) and try to watch tv?

You're either experiencing network problems or may need to restore the ATV2.

I have both the ATV2 and 3, and they're both working fine for me so I doubt it's an issue with yours, unless it needs a restore.

BasilFawlty

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2009
New Mexico
I keep having a problem when trying to stream videos from my iTunes library to my TV via my ATV2. I'll be right in the middle of a movie, then all of the sudden it stops and my ATV2 tells me to turn on Home Sharing! Well, Home sharing IS on. So I turn HS off, then on again and it starts working again (for a while). Last night I was trying to watch a movie and it quite and had to be re-started so many times that I finally gave up. My ATV is connected to the my computer via my wireless network.

jburns1977

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2012
I keep having a problem when trying to stream videos from my iTunes library to my TV via my ATV2. I'll be right in the middle of a movie, then all of the sudden it stops and my ATV2 tells me to turn on Home Sharing! Well, Home sharing IS on. So I turn HS off, then on again and it starts working again (for a while). Last night I was trying to watch a movie and it quite and had to be re-started so many times that I finally gave up. My ATV is connected to the my computer via my wireless network.

I had the same issue until i switched routers. What kid of Router are you using? I had a Belkin and switched to the Neatgear WNDR4500 N900. Works great now. Its a tad pricey but worth it.

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
Run the ATV with wired Ethernet.

Matter of fact run wired Ethernet whenever you can vs WiFi.

while i agree with this (my whole condo is wired) If he's running a 5ghz network there won't be much difference between that and ethernet on the atv. It doesn't support gigabit.

I stream HD stuff over netflix, iTunes and plex all the time have a dual-band time capsule. One atv2 is on wifi as i haven't gotten around to running a cable to it. My other atv2 is on ethernet. Neither have any streaming issues at all whether it be local network or over the internet.

jburns1977

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2012
while i agree with this (my whole condo is wired) If he's running a 5ghz network there won't be much difference between that and ethernet on the atv. It doesn't support gigabit.

I stream HD stuff over netflix, iTunes and plex all the time have a dual-band time capsule. One atv2 is on wifi as i haven't gotten around to running a cable to it. My other atv2 is on ethernet. Neither have any streaming issues at all whether it be local network or over the internet.

I do the same and have no issues, they just came out with a new firmware update this week, that may help too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.