Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aced411

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2007
You can add me to the list of users having problems with ATV 3 since IOS and Yosemite.

Random disconnects to the main menu when trying to watch movies via my iMac and home sharing. Weirdly, things such as Netflix continue to work fine, but it will fail to reconnect to my library and just sit on the spinning wheel.

Rebooting the ATV and iMac still won't make it reconnect to iTunes, but a reboot of my router does. I've tried fixed IP's, DNS changes, IP reservations and none have solved it 100% both wired and wireless. Sometimes I get dropped once other times five or six times during a movie.

Frustrating to say the least.

After a rocky beginning, I had managed to maintain a trouble free apple tv experience for a few years and then immediately after the Yosemite upgrade I started having home sharing problems all over again. I said screw this, life's too short for this crap. I ran a time machine restore back to Mavericks and I've been trouble free since. I run Yosemite on my laptop and it's fine but my iTunes server (mini) needs to be rock solid. I check in on the forums occasionally to see if things have been sorted out.

b-rad g

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
Add another to the extremely frustrated group! Having problems with both My ATV 3's. It's getting ridiculous. It no longer "just works". :(

RhythmAndBlues

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2015
I don't have an Apple TV, but I can add that 'upgrading' to Yosemite has made my MBP run like crap.

It's like they've taken their eye off the ball. The elite customer-focussed experience seems to be gone.

scottw324

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
I've run into this issue as well. My ATV3 connect after a complete reboot but after a few hours or a day it won't connect to my computer's shared content. Netflix, Hulu, etc... all work fine though. Only a complete reboot fixes it, for awhile and then it repeats all over again.

The only fix I've found so far is to have the ATV3 never go to standby. The one in my living room, the one I have the most issues with, I have on all the time now. The one in my bedroom does not seem to have this issue but I use it mostly for Netflix or Airplay from my iphone/ipad.

Try setting your ATV to not go to standby and see if that fixes it.

EDIT: oh forgot to mention, my living room ATV3 is hardwired to my router via Ethernet cable and my Mac Mini (late 2012) is upstairs hardwired to my router, downstairs, via a Rocket Fish power line adapter. I typically get 1.5 MB to somewhere around 3MB download speeds on the computer.

Last edited:

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Just run across this thread as I've been having the same issues. Seems like the connection between the iTunes server and ATV just slows down or comes to a stop once in awhile. I can go for days without the stalls, but then one day I'll have dozens. Switching to wireless, restarting ATVs, iTunes, Router all have no effect except on occasion switching wireless on then off will kick in to a state that all play together well. Frustrating to say the least.

The iTunes is on a mini that does not seem to stall when otherwise transferring massive amounts of data.

The Mini has Mavericks 10.9.5 and iTunes 12.0.1.6

The ATV thats been frustrating at times is SW 7.0.2 connected to a fast GB ethernet switch and was a refurb. The Mini server is also connected to that switch. I've tried setting the ATV to never sleep... no joy.

The other, and older ATV which doesn't seem to be having an issue, is at 6.2.1 and is connected wirelessly. This was a new one at the time.

Last edited:

cyber16

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
Suggestion, for those having the issue via wifi can a few of you try something? And provide feedback.
Go into your router wifi settings and set the broadcast channel to manual NOT auto and see if that helps. I was just adding in another wifi network/router to our current setup with a time capsule router with three other airport express units that are in wifi extend mode.
I hooked up my daughters ATV3 v2 onto that network via fixed channel 6 and started playing a netflix movie as a test. Then I took my android phone with some network utilities to do a sight survey for best channel to use. It suggested #1 #11 #12. I decided to give number #1 a try and I am using dd-wrt firmware within this router so I am able to apply changes on the fly. Not a problem with my android phone and network software, it didn't even blink with the channel change. BUT the ATV3 v2 did not like it and disconnected completely.
I had to navigate back into the network settings and pick that wifi network again, I did not have to re-enter the pass as the only change was the broadcasting channel.

Now I am thinking just maybe some of these disconnects are due to the router changing channels on the fly and the newer ATV firmware unable to deal with it. Of course this will not address issues via Ethernet.

cyber16

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
Well to provide a little more feedback, NOT one disconnect after playing many of movies via netflix over many hours/days.
Therefore to further check my theory for our atv3 disconnect problems. I shut off that new wifi network signal altogether and went back into our airport time capsule router and set the output channel from auto to manual. That same ATV3 v2 that was having issues with constant disconnects now is rock solid, it can play hours on end via netflix without a single disconnect.
I am not suggesting this is the end to all answer, but its worth a try if you are suffering continuous disconnects with your ATV3's via wifi
The wifi signals have always been very strong, thus that was never an issue for these disconnects

andy2141

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2010
UK
Well to provide a little more feedback, NOT one disconnect after playing many of movies via netflix over many hours/days.
Therefore to further check my theory for our atv3 disconnect problems. I shut off that new wifi network signal altogether and went back into our airport time capsule router and set the output channel from auto to manual. That same ATV3 v2 that was having issues with constant disconnects now is rock solid, it can play hours on end via netflix without a single disconnect.
I am not suggesting this is the end to all answer, but its worth a try if you are suffering continuous disconnects with your ATV3's via wifi
The wifi signals have always been very strong, thus that was never an issue for these disconnects

The problem I'm having (and I think a lot of others) isn't apps like Netflix, but streaming video content from iTunes via Home Sharing. This disconnects all the time for me, but Netflix and the like will continue to work without issue.

cyber16

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
I understand, but it still maybe worth looking into this as the computer /s running itunes may not have an issue with on-the-fly channel changes whereas the ATV3 does and seems to lose connection when confronted with them.
Just figured i'd share a discovery I found to work as a workaround as I did with the Ethernet connected airplay going missing once the atv goes into sleep mode.

JMEANS

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2012
Have the issue as well after last update. iTunes/home sharing on upstairs and ATV3 hard wired says its disconnected. Have to RESTART the puck to find my library every time. Sux

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
we've only had our appleTV a few months. it was flawless.... until a couple of weeks ago when we bought a fancy new router. on the new one we set up two different log ins for 5GH and 2.4GHz. I decided that my iMac, appleTV, iphone and ipad could log into the 5GHz since it's "better".

then i started having disconnect problems. i was getting pissed and decided that the damned fancy router was going back.... but then hubby recommended i put everything back to 2.4 (he had to do that with his Xbox, cuz he was having disconnect/can't find DNS/blah blah blah issues.)

i put the appleTv and iMac back to 2.4 and VOILA.... no disconnects.

not saying any of your problems are the same as mine... just wanted to throw it out there in case it works for any of you!

Kenjancef

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2010
East Providence, RI
Have the issue as well after last update. iTunes/home sharing on upstairs and ATV3 hard wired says its disconnected. Have to RESTART the puck to find my library every time. Sux

Same issue here...and same resolution. And my ATV3 is hard wired as well. Thought it was just me, until I found this thread...

M3GATR0N

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2014
Los Angeles
same issue here with Netflix. I was able to watch a movie with my son a few hours ago with no disconnects. Tried watching a movie right now and the problem started popping up.

godrifle

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2003
Fort Thomas, KY
Me too. Some high percentage portion of the time, my hardwired ATV3 wigs out. Sometimes it freezes, indicating it's receiving remote commands by blinking the light, but the interface doesn't respond. Other times, preview images only partially load, and Netflix loading won't progress.

I'm just now wondering if it's a ATV3 rev 1 or rev 2 problem? Can't check which version of ATV3 I'm running currently...

The versions are:
A1427 - AppleTV3,1 - MD199LL/A
A1469 - AppleTV3,2 - MD199LL/A

koerk

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2013
Can anybody tell if the update changed anything? Wasn't able to try myself.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Can anybody tell if the update changed anything? Wasn't able to try myself.

I haven't updated yet. They couldn't have made it any WORSE, that's for sure. LOL (watch as I eat my words lol)

rasputin666

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2009
This fixed my disconnect issues

Things don't get much attention when they're just a hobby.

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203970

If your Apple TV can't play content from Home Sharing or you see a “Could not connect to [Library]” message, follow these steps. You might need to update the name of your Mac.
On your Mac, open System Preferences from the Apple () menu.
Open the Sharing pane.
Double-click the name of your Mac in the Computer Name field.
Press Delete.
Type a new name in the now blank Computer Name field.
Close the Sharing pane. System Preferences automatically saves the new name.
Go to iTunes.
Quit iTunes and then launch it again.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203970

If your Apple TV can't play content from Home Sharing or you see a “Could not connect to [Library]” message, follow these steps. You might need to update the name of your Mac.
On your Mac, open System Preferences from the Apple () menu.
Open the Sharing pane.
Double-click the name of your Mac in the Computer Name field.
Press Delete.
Type a new name in the now blank Computer Name field.
Close the Sharing pane. System Preferences automatically saves the new name.
Go to iTunes.
Quit iTunes and then launch it again.

Wow. I'm embarrassed for Apple.

rasputin666

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2009
rasputin666

Wow. I'm embarrassed for Apple.

i was on the phone with support today because Yosemite has toasted my 2 external ExFat drives and i told them i saw the link for apple tv fix, good thing, mine was disconnecting daily. i have a cal saturday with an engineer about my ExFat drives. worked with mavericks, beach-balls my nMP when i drag files to them. i have all the Yosemite issues posted. dropped WIFI. Apple TV. ExFat drives. Safari video playing issues. etc i am downgrading to mavericks if call on Saturday gets me no where.

Last edited:

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
i was on the phone with support today because Yosemite has toasted my 2 external ExFat drives and i told them i saw the link for apple tv fix, good thing, mine was disconnecting daily. i have a cal saturday with an engineer about my ExFat drives. worked with mavericks, beach-balls my nMP when i drag files to them. i have all the Yosemite issues posted. dropped WIFI. Apple TV. ExFat drives. Safari video playing issues. etc i am downgrading to mavericks if call on Saturday gets me no where.

Wow, yeah that would be frustrating. Though downgrading is a pain, because you can't restore from a Yosemite time machine onto a Mavericks clean install... so it's really starting fresh. :-(

I really wish Apple would get it together.. Maybe this is the new Apple, if so, it's sad, because if there was one thing Apple was good at it was not resting short of perfection.

I know several people at Apple and they say the culture has really changed. Apple has a workforce of almost 50% contract employees now. Most of the new people they bring in they do so using contractors, blame obamacare, blame the cost, whatever, but I think that's part of it. I sold my old car a couple weeks ago to someone on the iWatch team. He is one of the Senior UI designers, and I asked if he was afraid Apple would kill his contract if they knew he was talking about it and he said he didn't care he's just here for a couple hears and making as much money as he can to send back to India so he can start his own business. I did ask him what what primary issue with iWatch is and he said the battery life sucks, and people aren't going to put up with it because it's realistically getting 7-10 hours with "normal" use which if you wake up at 6 am, that gets you to 4 in the afternoon, and unlike a phone, people don't want to take off their watch and charge it during the day. LOL

kevin2735

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2015
I am running Win 7 with iTunes (current version) and have been dealing with the Home Sharing disconnect issue ever since the last major update to ATV. I have a wired connection to a Linksys router.

I first tried de-selecting IP6 boxes in my Windows machine. That didn't work.

I manually assigned IP addresses on my network, and that did not work.

I confirmed that Multicasting was selected in my router and that did not work.
I switched to wireless, and that did not work.

I opened up the ports (3689 & 5353) on my router and Windows firewall. That did not work.

I upgraded my router for one that as newer, tried many of the tricks already listed, and still did not work.

I tried calling Apple Support, who made some of the suggestions above, but that was an exercise in futility.

The only thing that works is re-booting the puck anytime I want to use ATV. Very lame if you ask me.

Apple, this should not be this much of a challenge to make a seemingly simple network device work.

CoolMe

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2008
London
You can add me to the list of users having problems with ATV 3 since IOS and Yosemite.

I'm so glad I found this thread! Its been driving me crazy! Like others, I changed my network around, wifi/wired, different routers! Going to give the name change and no standby ago!

koerk

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2013
I hoped the iTunes Update would change something but apparently it didn't...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.