Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

atmenterprises

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 28, 2006
On my ATV3 I had he option of SD or HD movies but on ATV4 I don't see that option. Anyone know how to get the (smaller, cheaper) SD titles on ATV4?

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Not sure if this is what you want since I only want HD Highest Quality.

On my Mac in iTunes / Preference / Store / see 2 Download Options.

I have not seen anything directly in Apple TV Settings but did not check carefully.

atmenterprises

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 28, 2006
Not sure if this is what you want since I only want HD Highest Quality.

On my Mac in iTunes / Preference / Store / see 2 Download Options.

I have not seen anything directly in Apple TV Settings but did not check carefully.

Thanks Mike. I checked that on my Mac and it's already set to download the SD stuff.

I'll have a poke around Apple's site and see if I see anything there.

afd

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland
I'd like to know how to do this too, if I ever rent a film I usually rent SD as its cheaper and I don't have a 1080p telly. Lat time I ended up having to rent on Mac then air playing to Apple TV.

atmenterprises

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 28, 2006
I found this over on Apple's discussion site here, but I haven't tried it yet:

Switch to Standard Definition
If you tried the above steps and still can't play movies or TV shows from iTunes, switch from High Definition (HD) to Standard Definition (SD):

• Apple TV (4th generation): Go to Settings > Apps > iTunes Movies and TV Shows > Video Resolution and select Standard Definition.
  • Apple TV (2nd and 3rd generation): Go to Settings > iTunes Store and select Standard Definition.
Your iTunes Store purchases and rentals will now be in SD. You might be able to switch between HD and SD content in third-party apps. Check the settings within the app or contact the developer for help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.