Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

watermelonbook

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2014
ATV4 still has no Bluetooth keyboard support...

how do I search for stuff easily on YouTube?

It's fine if all I want to search for are short terms, such as CATS or BOOBS.

However, I feel like pulling my hair out if I'm searching for thing that have really long names. For example: "Mount Olympus girls gone wild safe for work videos"

Reactions: protobiont

chiwaw

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2011
What I do is simply search on my iPhone or Mac, and when I find something I add it to my "Watch Later" list and boom! it shows up on my Apple TV Youtube. :)

I hope they add an iPhone App to type text in. The Roku have that and it's super convenient.

watermelonbook

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2014
What I do is simply search on my iPhone or Mac, and when I find something I add it to my "Watch Later" list and boom! it shows up on my Apple TV Youtube. :)

I hope they add an iPhone App to type text in. The Roku have that and it's super convenient.

you mean I have to get off my lazy [rear end] and do all of the following on the new high-tech ATV4.

(1) bring my Macbook to the couch
(2) open the screen,
(3) open a browser(YouTube?)
(4) type the search words
(5) wait for search results to come up
(6) click "Watch Later" on the video I want
(7) reach for the ATV4 remote
(8) go to YouTube and find the video under "Watch Later"
(9) select and play the video

On my ATV3, all I have to do is

(1) reach for my $7.99 no-name Bluetooth keyboard from eBay, which is paired to the ATV3
(2) type the search word
(3) select the video from the results and it automatically starts playing.

Guess that's progress? :( I guess I'm too naive. I thought new technology was supposed to make life easier? :) Don't get me wrong. I've only started playing with the ATV4 this afternoon. I'm already in love with it. (except the lack of Bluetooth keyboard support and no voice feedback from Siri's silent cousin)

chiwaw

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2011

Despite being called a "4", the new Apple TV really is a brand new product from scratch with a new OS/GUI. You can't expect everything to be perfect right away. I'm expecting many, many software upgrades in the next few months adding and tweaking the system.

Reactions: engbjm

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
Despite being called a "4", the new Apple TV really is a brand new product from scratch with a new OS/GUI. You can't expect everything to be perfect right away. I'm expecting many, many software upgrades in the next few months adding and tweaking the system.

absolutley agree, they are going to improve and polish this great new device to big lenghts given its huge potential at this moment and its only been out for a week, i love the new interface, streaming is beyond fast, much faster than the apple tv 3, all these complaining should just use their apple tv 3's if they are so negative about the apple tv 4, the software on the apple tv 4 definitely needs work and polish thats without a doubt but its been only out for a week or so and several months from now it is going to be a stellar device without a doubt.

watermelonbook

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2014

but it's APPLE. I can't believe they would allow a somewhat crippled new Apple TV to be release in its current state.

Or perhaps I just have unrealistic hopes for Apple? After all, Apple is not an authorized representative of God.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
but it's APPLE. I can't believe they would allow a somewhat crippled new Apple TV to be release in its current state.

Or perhaps I just have unrealistic hopes for Apple? After all, Apple is not an authorized representative of God.

i'll get better overtime as they update the software.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
Boy has that line been dragged out a lot about so many Apple products over the years.

The truth usually is: they release a new product altogether and want everyone to buy that instead.

That's not true at all, all Apple products except the Apple Watch and the new Apple tv4 which are in their beginning stage work beautifully and give an excellent user experience, it takes time for the to optimize the software.

normanfox

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2014
That's not true at all, all Apple products except the Apple Watch and the new Apple tv4 which are in their beginning stage work beautifully and give an excellent user experience, it takes time for the to optimize the software.

you forgot that Steve Jobs personally involved in those devices (except Watch and Atv 4). He would not let small details slide without his blessing.

Tim Cook is like any other normal CEO. He does not personally involve in detail of products. When they announced Apple Watch, Tim did not do the demo of the Watch. if Steve was still alive, he would personally do the demo.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
I'm as big a fan of Apple products as anyone, but the excuses and rationilaztion about any flaws in their products is always humorous. If Samsung had released this instead of Apple, the mocking and ridicule would be off the charts. Yes, it will get better with time, but it does get kind of old paying to beta test products.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Based on the search results in this forum and the official Apple support forums... as well as Apple reps over the phone, I have to conclude that Bluetooth keyboard support will never arrive on the ATV4.

The only definitive answer I've seen that I trust was from an Apple representative on the developer forums. His response was, not at this time.

bluush

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2007
Just spent the last 30 minutes trying to figure out how to search for videos on the youtube app and gave up. I bought the Apple Tv 4 today, never owned an Apple Tv but figured it'd be a fun toy. So far it just feels like a waste of money. Granted it was only $150, but still. Can someone explain the purpose of this device? What a waste.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Just spent the last 30 minutes trying to figure out how to search for videos on the youtube app and gave up. I bought the Apple Tv 4 today, never owned an Apple Tv but figured it'd be a fun toy. So far it just feels like a waste of money. Granted it was only $150, but still. Can someone explain the purpose of this device? What a waste.

The purpose? It plays movies, tv shows, music, shows your photos, runs apps and games, can provide basic information such as the weather, sports results. That's more or less it's basic functionality covered, it'll improve over time.

As for YouTube, start the YouTube app on the Apple TV, swipe up on the touchpad of the Siri remote and slide along to the left of the menu, to the Search section.
Then swipe down to get to the keyboard and swipe left and right to highlight letters, when you highlight a letter you want to input, click on the touchpad.
With each letter you enter a list of related videos will appear and change to more relevant results with the more you type. Then just slide down on the touchpad to highlight the video you want to watch and click on it.

Reactions: DNichter

Blujelly

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2012
South East England

so you bought a device with out looking into the back ground of its history, neither done any research on the current model?

Now you've bought an ATV 4 and find it rubbish? So because you can't do the above that means its rubbish. Yes there are flaws with this modal but as stated over many threads and posts it will get better in time (new apps, new software updates) You really need to play around with it more and learn about it rather then just saying youTube wont let me search, its crap...

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Based on the search results in this forum and the official Apple support forums... as well as Apple reps over the phone, I have to conclude that Bluetooth keyboard support will never arrive on the ATV4.

That makes perfect sense.

What's missing from the ATV4, and will surely come shortly, is type-by-voice which worked very well with the Remote app and is easy to implement with the new Siri remote.

ATV4 is about Dictation, not Keyboards.

BJ

chiwaw

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2011
you forgot that Steve Jobs personally involved in those devices (except Watch and Atv 4). He would not let small details slide without his blessing.

Tim Cook is like any other normal CEO. He does not personally involve in detail of products. When they announced Apple Watch, Tim did not do the demo of the Watch. if Steve was still alive, he would personally do the demo.

This is just a selective memory illusion. Every products were incredibly limited in their first release. The original iPhone didn't even have an App Store, nor even basic Copy/Paste functionalities. The original iPad had a slow hardware with a very low resolution screen.

They were both flawed but still very good at their release date (as is the ATV4), but they got much better over time. That's just normal.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009

Or I just AirPlay it

watermelonbook

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2014
Ouch....so you didn't get an e-mail from MR mods for using forbidden words ? I got spanked for using words with '*' signs to express my feelings about the whole introduction of a certain black plastic box.

I apologize. Didn't realize "CATS" was a forbidden word. Is it because MR is mostly a dog lover's forum? :D :D :

Reactions: From A Buick 8
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.