Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dotnet

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 10, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Is anyone using AU Lab 2.3 in macOS Monterey? I’m having the issue that AU Lab cannot access input devices, either physical or virtual.

When starting a new document in AU Lab I can select an input device (for example a USB microphone, or BlackHole), but no audio data ever makes it into AU Lab (the input signal indicator stays dark). Since installation of AU Lab it has never asked for permission to access the microphone, like other audio apps. It is not listed in System Preferences under Privacy and can therefore not be ticked.

I’m trying to use it as a host for AU plugins to go between music player apps and a USB DAC. The music players output to BlackHole, and AU Lab is supposed to pick up the audio from there. The same works with Element or Audio Hijack, but I would prefer to use AU Lab.

I’m not very familiar with the audio processing architecture in macOS and would be grateful for any advice.

sdob7004

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2022
I had this same problem

The issue is that AU Lab isn’t ‘requesting microphone access’ when you first open it for some reason.
Without approving that request, audio cannot be passed into it.

The workaround I found was to right click > show package contents on ‘AU Lab’

Then navigate to contents>MacOS folder and open up the unix executable of AU lab

You will then get a terminal ‘requesting microphone access’ prompt

Allow that and you should get an input signal!

I might be wrong but I think it will only work whenever you run that terminal executable version of au lab

Also I’m using the latest version of au lab which is found in the ‘additional tools for Xcode’ bundle at:

Hope this helps someone!

davehutch

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
Croxley, Herts
I had this same problem

The issue is that AU Lab isn’t ‘requesting microphone access’ when you first open it for some reason.

Then navigate to contents>MacOS folder and open up the unix executable of AU lab

I might be wrong but I think it will only work whenever you run that terminal executable version of au lab

Also I’m using the latest version of au lab which is found in the ‘additional tools for Xcode’ bundle at:

Hope this helps someone!
Thanks so much for this. It worked!

flang

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2012
I get this using your method.
/Applications/AU\ Lab.app/Contents/MacOS/AU\ Lab ; exit;
Fritz@Fritz-Mac-mini ~ % /Applications/AU\ Lab.app/Contents/MacOS/AU\ Lab ; exit;

Any idea?

TheRandomFactor

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2024
I had this same problem

Hope this helps someone!

This video explains the problem and the solution:

Cheers!

mikemac52

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2024
Thanks sdob and Random,

The work around works for me on M1 16" 2021 MBP running Sonoma 14.1.
Couple of things.
When listening to music with Safari 17.1 / Youtube, there is a fast paced rhythmic beating/distortion that makes listening impossible. Not present when using Firefox.

It's bothersome that terminal needs to have access to microphone in order to use this app with the corresponding icon in the menu bar letting me know the mic is active. Any other app gaining access to mic, the menu bar still would appear the same.

Why do we need give Terminal microphone access at all just to have audio input in general.
It seems you should just be able to use "Built-in input" from the input menu, but that is missing in Sonoma. Is it there in Monterey?

Plus when going about your normal business with music playing in the background switching between applications and such, Terminal isn't always happy.

The stock sound on the M1 MBP had some horrible dsp choices made and AU lab cleaned it up quickly. Reaching a usable preset was much easier with AU than with boom 2. The interface on Boom 2 leaves you wanting when using the 31 band eq. While there was not a direct comparison done, the filter bands on AU seem a bit narrower and cleaner of the two.

I might give Sound Control another chance. Without warning it starts playing white noise after 20 minutes (trial). That annoyed me and I uninstalled immediately. Had they said something, I wouldn't have installed till I could give it some attention.

It's a shame really, the M1 MBP needs desperately to be EQ'd, which is another discussion, and AU lab runs with minimal resources and does a good job. In the end though, having an active microphone (well, you know what I mean) plus leaving terminal open all the time might just be a deal breaker.

Edit:
Here's something interesting, If you go to Audio Midi Setup and select Blackhole 2ch, the gain is at zero and you can't effect it yourself. Something to look into.
Any ideas?

Last edited:

TheRandomFactor

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2024
There's a lot that needs to be unpacked here, and I'm not sure I know enough of anything to help you, but let me try...

AU Lab is still offered as a test tool by Apple (https://www.apple.com/apple-music/apple-digital-masters/) which tells me it is not abandonware just yet. That said, it is no longer asking for permission to use the microphone as other apps do, like GarageBand or Logic Pro. This is probably on purpose.

Given the above and given the fact you are not comfortable letting Terminal grant its permissions to AU Lab (rightfully so!) the easiest path for you would be using the AU Lab plug-ins (such as the graphic EQ) with GarageBand. GarageBand is not as light as AU Lab, but it does the trick and it includes an awesome parametric EQ. Let me know if you want to try this approach, I can walk you through it.

Regarding the "microphone use" notification icon in the menu bar: if you are using Sonoma this is going to happen for any and all apps accessing the microphone, not just Terminal. Here are two screenshots of my computer when I use GarageBand or Logic Pro.

Screenshot 2024-01-13 at 01.10.06.jpeg

Screenshot 2024-01-13 at 01.14.13.jpeg

The picture above shows I am using the graphic EQ included in AU Lab within Logic Pro. This can also be done with GarageBand. GarageBand is free and works like a charm. You can use all of the Audio Units plugins included in AU Lab with it. You will not find a better sounding EQ than the graphic EQ included in AU Lab. FabFilter Pro-Q is a great professional EQ, but, last I checked, was US$179.00, and you will still need a host like AU Lab, GarageBand, or Logic Pro to run it on Mac OS.

Regarding the volume stuck a 0db for Blackhole in the Audio MIDI Setup app... Are you, by any chance, using BitPerfect or Audirvana or anything like that? Those apps require exclusive access to Core Audio. But this should not be a problem, you should still be able to control volume from within the app you are using (AU Lab, GarageBand, or BitPerfect).

I'm going to bed now. I'm too tired. But let's continue this discussion, if you'd like. I know it is frustrating, but there are plenty of solutions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.