Audio and desktop

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jrbsman, Sep 3, 2005.

1. jrbsman macrumors member

Hello

My new iBook is just great and I love it but I've recently discovered two problems. The desktop is not showing anything but my HD and stuff that is plugged in (iPod, Cds, etc...) This includes files I put there and stuff that is downloaded.

The other problem is I have no audio coming out of the left channel. This includes on speakers and headphone jack and doesn't seem to be affected by the program I am using.

Thanks for your help

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Try repairing permissions from Disk Utility in the Utilities folder.

In the System Preferences, is the audio balance (under Sounds) set to the right?

3. jrbsman thread starter macrumors member

Audio fixed

It was what the previous poster said and my audio was set to right channel. Funny because I don't know how that got affected. I will try fixing the desktop later.

4. jrbsman thread starter macrumors member

Repair Permissions didnt' work

Repaired permissions and that didn't work. Should I try rebooting the computer? Like most mac users I'm trying to keep my time between reboots high (had the computer for a week and only shut it down once on the first day) But if this will help than I am willing to reboot.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Log out and log back in maybe? Otherwise, a restart may help. Have you got a second account that's showing the same symptoms? It may be worthwhile setting one up to see if the problem persists. :)

6. jrbsman thread starter macrumors member

All back to normal

Well rebooting seemed to work... a bunch of files appeared and saving to the desktop worked. Thanks for all the help... unfortunately my uptime widget has gone from over 7 days down to 3 minutes. Oh well

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew