Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrbsman

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2005
Hello

My new iBook is just great and I love it but I've recently discovered two problems. The desktop is not showing anything but my HD and stuff that is plugged in (iPod, Cds, etc...) This includes files I put there and stuff that is downloaded.

The other problem is I have no audio coming out of the left channel. This includes on speakers and headphone jack and doesn't seem to be affected by the program I am using.

Thanks for your help

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
jrbsman said:
My new iBook is just great and I love it but I've recently discovered two problems. The desktop is not showing anything but my HD and stuff that is plugged in (iPod, Cds, etc...) This includes files I put there and stuff that is downloaded.

Try repairing permissions from Disk Utility in the Utilities folder.

jrbsman said:
The other problem is I have no audio coming out of the left channel. This includes on speakers and headphone jack and doesn't seem to be affected by the program I am using.

In the System Preferences, is the audio balance (under Sounds) set to the right?

jrbsman

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2005
Audio fixed

It was what the previous poster said and my audio was set to right channel. Funny because I don't know how that got affected. I will try fixing the desktop later.

jrbsman

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2005
Repair Permissions didnt' work

Repaired permissions and that didn't work. Should I try rebooting the computer? Like most mac users I'm trying to keep my time between reboots high (had the computer for a week and only shut it down once on the first day) But if this will help than I am willing to reboot.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Log out and log back in maybe? Otherwise, a restart may help. Have you got a second account that's showing the same symptoms? It may be worthwhile setting one up to see if the problem persists. :)

jrbsman

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2005
All back to normal

jrbsman said:
Repaired permissions and that didn't work. Should I try rebooting the computer? Like most mac users I'm trying to keep my time between reboots high (had the computer for a week and only shut it down once on the first day) But if this will help than I am willing to reboot.

Well rebooting seemed to work... a bunch of files appeared and saving to the desktop worked. Thanks for all the help... unfortunately my uptime widget has gone from over 7 days down to 3 minutes. Oh well

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.