Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
I've have about 3 albums in my collection now and when I insert the CD it will not mount anywhere, ie. iTunes, Finder, etc.

This is really annoying, surely there is something I can do to make the CD mount?

I also don't know if its copy protected, but the CD is a straight audio CD, there's no enhanced media like Quicktime movies which can prove annoying sometimes.

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
Yeah I was thinking of going to try it on a PC, but will not get the chance until next week.

The cd's are:

Linkin Park: Live in Texas

Craig David: Slicker Than Your Average

Hits Of The Beach Boys

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I read something on the Apple Support forums about inserting the CD whilst holding down SHIFT but it wasn't successful in that case. Still, it may be worth a try... :)

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
mad jew said:
I read something on the Apple Support forums about inserting the CD whilst holding down SHIFT but it wasn't successful in that case. Still, it may be worth a try... :)

Yeah did not work, thanks for the giving it a shot though :)

It's really annoying to not have music you purchased, able to mount.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
mad jew said:

Is that not to stop autorun on Windows from installing a DRM driver?

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Bare with me: Have you tried a simple solution like a restart?

I've sometimes had problems with CDs not mounting, and a simple reboot (sometimes after repairing permissions) has always helped. Not sure if this applies here, since it's only three CDs that won't cooperate, but felt it worth mentioning... :eek:

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
robbieduncan said:
Is that not to stop autorun on Windows from installing a DRM driver?

Not sure. It was given as advice to a Mac user with the same problem as DeSnousa.

This is frustrating. I can't find anything that could help. Try Mitthrawnuruodo's suggestion, and maybe make sure the disks are clean too (but they probably will be).

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
Yep repaired permissions and restarted computer with little success.

If any one has an idea even the slightest please post.

Thanks for your help so far :)

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
Yay i finally got a disk to mount, i opened up disk utility and then stuck in the disk. However with that said its taking for ages to import. Its been about 10 minutes and iTunes is till importing the first song. Its going at a rate of about 0.5x and then will stop constantly.

You should hear the CD drive, its crazy at the moment.

Edit: Looks like iTunes has frozen to a stand still.

Edit 2: After fore quit of iTunes, i ejected disk. Now when i insert disk it will not show up again, even through disk utility.

spinne1

macrumors 6502a
What Mac do you have? It sounds like you have a PowerMac 7100 with a 2x CD-rom drive to have such slow import issues. Seriously, it sounds like you have some hardware issues. Any normal operating Mac will mount virtually all CDs without any trouble. What OS are you running? (I know it is some form of OS X because you mentioned Disk Utility) Memory? Please give all computer details and your history with the Mac platform. What version of iTunes? Are you having other performance issues? Do other types of discs mount in that drive?

EDIT: I looked at your profile and see that you have a 1.2 Ghz 12" Powerbook. Again, check a regular data CD. Mounts normal? If so, do a hardware check with a hardware check CD (if you have one). If not, I think you need to take this to a repair facility (or replace the CD drive yourself).

http://www.smalldog.com/PHPbb/viewtopic.php?t=2210&
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/145051/
http://forums.macnn.com/archive/index.php/t-249801.html

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
Thanks spinne1 for your help. I found the problems as listed.

-One of the CD's was burnt with 3 images, which is odd and why it imported slowly.

-The other 2 CD's are DRM protected I guess.

I don't think its a hardware issue as I bought 4 new albums today, which worked and imported at 8-11x.

Im going to look into the other CD's when im out my mates place next week, to see if it is DRM protected.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.