Audio output switch?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Caezar, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Caezar macrumors 6502

Is there any device that could enable to plug both speakers (JBL Creatures) and headphones (Sennheiser CX200) into my iMac?

I use the headphones when I play games and the speakers when I watch TV shows. I wish I could avoid having to plug/unplug the audio jack into my iMac every time I make a change.

I would love to have something like a switch that would let me have both the speaker and the headphones connected at all times and enable me to pick which one I want to use.

Thanks.

2. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

A simple headset/speaker switch would work to route your 1/8" stereo analog out to either headset or speakers...
    Plantronics makes an el-cheapo that can readily found at most computer outlets... It's just a cheap DPDT switch in a plastic box. If you had a high-powered speaker/amp system you'd probably want a more expensive solution (with muting/delay) to avoid the POP that occurs when switching that could result in frying tweeters or causing hearing damage, but for a desktop speaker system you probably won't have problems... :p

3. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

The only thing you'll need is a headphone splitter, you can buy one at any electronic shop for about 1 dollar.

4. Caezar thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks localoid, this is exactly what I was looking for.

By the way, a splitter would not do because I do not want to hear the headphones, while the speakers are on.