Audio recording in 10.1

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by macreator, Jan 19, 2004.

1. macreator macrumors regular

macreator

Hey folks. One of my older relatives has an iMac G3 running OS 10.1.5 (I can't get him to move to 10.3 or even 10.2). He needs some kind of audio recording program so he can record the songs he plays on the piano. He will record using the built-in mic. I was wondering if anyone out there knows of a free audio recording app that will work in 10.1.5. Doesn't need to have frills or anything, it just has to be able to record and save in any format. Thanks a bunch.

2. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    If you can't find a free one, or another that suits your needs, Sound Studio works pretty good (~$50).

3. crenz macrumors 6502a

crenz

Get Spark ME. It's a free version of Spark XL, a professional audio editor. Once you've outgrown that, he could try SparkLE which comes with additional effects for EUR 39,-

4. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Does he have iMovie?

If so, he could record with iMovie and find the file in the Project folder. The sound clip should be saved as a quicktime movie file.

5. macreator thread starter macrumors regular

macreator

He has iMovie but when recording long piano sessions, iMovie gives an error that basically says his computer is too slow and there was an error saving on the hard drive. Thanks for the software suggestion, I'll let him know but this might be a way for me to get him to upgrade to 10.3 and then have him get iLife. He could then use GarageBand which I have heard is better with recording.

6. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

You'll have to watch out on Garage Band's system requirements. If his computer is having trouble with iMovie, it'll choke on GB.

7. neut macrumors 68000

neut

he could be running out of HD space. With that error in iMovie... you may be seeing that in any audio app.

raw audio can get big very fast.

peace.