Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macreator

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2003
New York City
Hey folks. One of my older relatives has an iMac G3 running OS 10.1.5 (I can't get him to move to 10.3 or even 10.2). He needs some kind of audio recording program so he can record the songs he plays on the piano. He will record using the built-in mic. I was wondering if anyone out there knows of a free audio recording app that will work in 10.1.5. Doesn't need to have frills or anything, it just has to be able to record and save in any format. Thanks a bunch.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Does he have iMovie?

If so, he could record with iMovie and find the file in the Project folder. The sound clip should be saved as a quicktime movie file.

macreator

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2003
New York City
He has iMovie but when recording long piano sessions, iMovie gives an error that basically says his computer is too slow and there was an error saving on the hard drive. Thanks for the software suggestion, I'll let him know but this might be a way for me to get him to upgrade to 10.3 and then have him get iLife. He could then use GarageBand which I have heard is better with recording.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Originally posted by macreator
He has iMovie but when recording long piano sessions, iMovie gives an error that basically says his computer is too slow and there was an error saving on the hard drive. Thanks for the software suggestion, I'll let him know but this might be a way for me to get him to upgrade to 10.3 and then have him get iLife. He could then use GarageBand which I have heard is better with recording.
You'll have to watch out on Garage Band's system requirements. If his computer is having trouble with iMovie, it'll choke on GB.

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
Originally posted by ftaok
You'll have to watch out on Garage Band's system requirements. If his computer is having trouble with iMovie, it'll choke on GB.

he could be running out of HD space. With that error in iMovie... you may be seeing that in any audio app.

raw audio can get big very fast.

peace.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.