Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tobias_Dunkel

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2016
You're aware that to release it in the store, you need an Apple developer membership, right ? It costs about USD 99 yearly.

Yeah, I know, so I am not yet sure if it would be worth it or not. But until I have something releasable a lot of time will pass. So I guess it wouldn't be earlier than next year.

Yes, it is also nice for future extensibility and all the nice bonuses I get by plugging into AudioKit. For instance, maybe someday, I could add a tunable synth to play alongside the player track ;) If someone wants to do some live impromptu performance, adding a synth sound to the original track while it is playing, ... AK can do that. Who knows what might come of it someday :)

Sounds like you could have a lot of fun with AudioKit. Also have seen that there's a free open source synth available built with AudioKit. It can even be downloaded in the AppStore for iPad.

Suspended
Original poster
May 28, 2017
Just wanted to let you all know that I have decided to end all further development on this project, at least in the near foreseeable future.

Thanks to all who helped motivate and shape this project !

For those who haven't had a chance to try out the app, here's the download link (also in original post):
App download link

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
:eek::)

The classic Winamp 2 UX is the only thing I miss about using windows, and your app is looking mighty close to nailing it. I've been using the badly named but otherwise functionally excellent IINA media player app, primarily because its automatic file advance feature and picture controls (desaturation to b&w) in video are so useful.

If... if you get to the point it can emulate the classic nucleo nlog skin... hoboy.
1-Prev1.jpg

[doublepost=1524575754][/doublepost]
Just wanted to let you all know that I have decided to end all further development on this project
Ah nuts, didn't see that. It was looking good...

Reactions: 0002378

Suspended
Original poster
May 28, 2017
:eek::)

The classic Winamp 2 UX is the only thing I miss about using windows, and your app is looking mighty close to nailing it. I've been using the badly named but otherwise functionally excellent IINA media player app, primarily because its automatic file advance feature and picture controls (desaturation to b&w) in video are so useful.

If... if you get to the point it can emulate the classic nucleo nlog skin... hoboy.
1-Prev1.jpg

[doublepost=1524575754][/doublepost]
Ah nuts, didn't see that. It was looking good...

Thanks man. Yes, it is no secret that my app was inspired by Winamp. I just couldn't fathom iTunes and the Mac version of Winamp was pathetic.

Tobias_Dunkel

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2016
Just wanted to let you all know that I have decided to end all further development on this project, at least in the near foreseeable future.

Thanks to all who helped motivate and shape this project !

For those who haven't had a chance to try out the app, here's the download link (also in original post):

App download link

Thank you for all the hard work you have done on this project. and also for helping me getting better at app development

It definitely fun and I enjoyed the time working on this app with you and having conversations.
But I have to admit, sometimes it was a bit overwhelming for me, since I just started with app development back then. :D

That's why I recently started making my own music player from the ground up. At the moment I've done a lot of front end, but the player already loads files into the playlist and you also have to ability to clear all tracks. Playback by double clicking a track also does work as well as play/pause and seeking.

This is how it currently looks and behaves:
giphy.gif

Sidebar is still empty, but the idea is to browse your library there, like Artists, Albums, Gernres, etc., as well as your Music Folders. Each category will get it's own tab and there will be an additional one for creating and browsing playlists.

The overall idea on the GUI is to have no restriction on the size of the player window.
So, no matter if you use it fullscreen or just a very narrow window (for example using it as a tiny "sidebar" in split screen), you should always have a great experience while browsing your music library.

Well, I hope one day I can turn this into a finished product, and get close to Aural feature wise. In my opinion Aural is one of the best (or even the best) music player on macOS right now, so it makes me a little bit sad to see this project come to an "end".

I wish you all the best for your current/future projects and maybe one day you find your way back and "revive" Aural ;)

Suspended
Original poster
May 28, 2017
Thank you for all the hard work you have done on this project. and also for helping me getting better at app development

It definitely fun and I enjoyed the time working on this app with you and having conversations.
But I have to admit, sometimes it was a bit overwhelming for me, since I just started with app development back then. :D

That's why I recently started making my own music player from the ground up. At the moment I've done a lot of front end, but the player already loads files into the playlist and you also have to ability to clear all tracks. Playback by double clicking a track also does work as well as play/pause and seeking.

This is how it currently looks and behaves:
giphy.gif

Sidebar is still empty, but the idea is to browse your library there, like Artists, Albums, Gernres, etc., as well as your Music Folders. Each category will get it's own tab and there will be an additional one for creating and browsing playlists.

The overall idea on the GUI is to have no restriction on the size of the player window.
So, no matter if you use it fullscreen or just a very narrow window (for example using it as a tiny "sidebar" in split screen), you should always have a great experience while browsing your music library.

Well, I hope one day I can turn this into a finished product, and get close to Aural feature wise. In my opinion Aural is one of the best (or even the best) music player on macOS right now, so it makes me a little bit sad to see this project come to an "end".

I wish you all the best for your current/future projects and maybe one day you find your way back and "revive" Aural ;)

Hey man ! Good to hear from you.

Thanks for all your contributions to this project. It was fun and productive. I'm very happy with the end result, honestly. I still use it on a daily basis and it works flawlessly :)

I like your playlist UI ... esp. the font coloring and contrast between the track numbers and the track names, and the selection box colors look great too.

The auto-hiding controls overlay is pretty neat as well ! How did you accomplish that ? I know most media players on Mac have those.

I definitely encourage you to finish your project and make it part of your programming portfolio. Put it up on GitHub and make a splash !

Good luck with everything, and send me a PM here whenever.

Tobias_Dunkel

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2016
Thank you for your encouraging words :)
I guess once it's in an "initial release" state, I will put it out on GitHub so everyone can contribute or just have a look.

The auto-hiding controls overlay is pretty neat as well ! How did you accomplish that ? I know most media players on Mac have those.

Thanks, I kind of was inspired by some video players which have those overlay player controls. I thought, why not do it on a playlist instead of a video player. In my opinion it works quite well and feels super natural when browsing.

- To show the controls I added a trackingArea which reacts on .mouseMoved. I sldo set a speficic velocity threshold for the UI to appear.

- To hide the controls I implemented my own scrollViewDelegate on the scrollWheel(with event:) method.
Here I also set up a threshold for the scrolling velocity so the UI isn't consantly jumping back and forth between "faded" and visible.

If you want I could send you the source code, but be aware that the app architecture isn't perfect yet, since this will be worked on once I have the basic functionality I want, so I can decide better which architecture to choose.

Suspended
Original poster
May 28, 2017
Thank you for your encouraging words :)
I guess once it's in an "initial release" state, I will put it out on GitHub so everyone can contribute or just have a look.

Thanks, I kind of was inspired by some video players which have those overlay player controls. I thought, why not do it on a playlist instead of a video player. In my opinion it works quite well and feels super natural when browsing.

- To show the controls I added a trackingArea which reacts on .mouseMoved. I sldo set a speficic velocity threshold for the UI to appear.

- To hide the controls I implemented my own scrollViewDelegate on the scrollWheel(with event:) method.
Here I also set up a threshold for the scrolling velocity so the UI isn't consantly jumping back and forth between "faded" and visible.

If you want I could send you the source code, but be aware that the app architecture isn't perfect yet, since this will be worked on once I have the basic functionality I want, so I can decide better which architecture to choose.

Nein danke, I was just curious about your implementation (at a high level) ... I have been so out of touch with programming that if I saw the source code now, it would look like Mandarin text to me.

The trackingArea and mouseMoved implementation makes sense.

Well, I'm looking forward to seeing your full-fledged player. Have fun !

jxl

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2022
I feel pretty dumb, but it vanished when I clicked one of the icons on the upper left of the application and I can't get a visible window back. The entire program vanished (but still plays). I uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled, but I can't get the window back. I can still play media by right-clicking and saying "play with aural" but I can't seem to switch to an open window anymore (and it's not minimized to the dock). What's the solution, here?

Edit to add detail: it doesn't show up in the "force quit" dialogue when running, although it does show up in activity monitor.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.