Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mortfe

macrumors regular
May 31, 2008
Also waiting for some good news on reception. Really like the look. Tired of the drab cases out there. Went hybrid on iPhone 4. Can't figure out, if new iPhone has an all aluminum back, that an aluminum bumper would cause a signal loss. Are we missing something here?

iEnvy

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
DFW
Hope one of you guys do a review real soon :D
Others and I need to see if this case is worth dropping a $100

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
The original wasn't close to being a reception killer. I'm guessing you purchased a replica.
Nope, the real deal.... even had it shipped from Japan before they were available here in the states(good to know people stationed all over the world). Killed my reception. Outside in strong signal area sure, no problem. IF I spent every second of my day outside or in a strong signal area It would of been an ideal case. I thought it is/was the best looking case made.... I think, this one looks better in some ways, a bit less dramatic.

rc0310

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2010
Nope, the real deal.... even had it shipped from Japan before they were available here in the states(good to know people stationed all over the world). Killed my reception. Outside in strong signal area sure, no problem. IF I spent every second of my day outside or in a strong signal area It would of been an ideal case. I thought it is/was the best looking case made.... I think, this one looks better in some ways, a bit less dramatic.

Yup.. ^ this guy know what he's talking about.

it all comes down to reception... I had the original aluminum Draco case for the iPhone 4/4S.. in weak signal areas 3/5 bars.. (e.g. Parking lot).. the phone will lose signal.. strong signal areas.. not a problem..

case is useless if it'd impact the reception..

KoukiFC3S

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2010
The GS3 version didn't impact reception much. I think Draco is getting smarter when designing these cases.

iEnvy

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
DFW
i just found out that your lying and it does protect it, thanks alot

Do you see anything substantial protecting the front or back? really?

6cc0fec151393a05134d6d51382a3513.jpg

vsighi

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
San Diego, CA
It look like if you lay this phone on the table face down, it will touch the screen...but still, the best case for your dollar anyway.

TommyGuns

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2012
I asked the question, mainly because I wanted to use a Glas.T screen protector with it, and this was Draco's reply:

"Thank you for contacting us.

The new DRACO 5 Series has a raised edge about 1mm on the front and back. It should fit your phone.

Feel free to contact us if you have any questions. Thank you.

Best Regards,

DRACOdesign Team"

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
I asked the question, mainly because I wanted to use a Glas.T screen protector with it, and this was Draco's reply:

The new DRACO 5 Series has a raised edge about 1mm on the front and back. It should fit your phone.

Best Regards,

DRACOdesign Team"

Their pics don't show it. We'll see when the first one arrives!

vsighi

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
San Diego, CA

Best Regards,

DRACOdesign Team"

...so everything big the 1mm on the table It will touch your screen...hmm GOOD I'LL TAKE ONE :D

orlandocano

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2010
The original wasn't close to being a reception killer. I'm guessing you purchased a replica.

I got the Draco IV for the iPhone 4s based on your review of it on gadgetmac. Ordered it from iGearUSA.com because Draco's actual website names them as on of their authorized dealers. Emailed Draco after you suggested that I got a replica and they told me that every Draco product that iGearUSA sells is the real deal... I had iGear replace it 2 times (3 total Draco IV's tested) and they all MURDERED my signal unless i was in a 4-5 reception bar area outdoors... killed my reception, my faux G (HSPA+), and my GPS... all 3 Dracos that i rested...

By the way, I am not at all criticizing you for your review... it was great and informative and based on looks alone, i would have bought this case in every single color!!!! and i am sure the version you purchased/they sent you worked wonderfully... if mine would have worked just as well, i would have loved it!! but it did kill my reception.. and it was not a replica... i also read the recent review on gadgetmac (by another reviewer) about a new EVO version for the 4s and it seems that they learned from elementcase and mixed ploycarbonate with aluminum to help with the reception issues... if they did that for the iPhone 5, i would have been the first pre-order... since they did not, i am on the same boat as most of the other posters on this thread who say they are waiting for someone to post a review and test for reception issues!!

again, i really hope you don't take this as an attack on your writing or your review... this is just to say that my experience and yours were very different... i still visit gadgetmac regularly and your reviews along with larry greenberg's are the ones i trust the most regarding iOS device accessories!!

TheBigKing

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
PR
bad news for the pre order

Dear Customer;

Thank you for your purchase of the Pre-order Draco 5 Aluminium Case. The initial shipping date was Oct 19, 2012 are slightly push back to Oct 26, this news come directly from DRACO Design last nite, So I just want you to know that it is confirm that the shipping will be on Oct 26 to all my pre-order customer, thank you for your patience.

vsighi

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
San Diego, CA
bad news for the pre order

Dear Customer;

Thank you for your purchase of the Pre-order Draco 5 Aluminium Case. The initial shipping date was Oct 19, 2012 are slightly push back to Oct 26, this news come directly from DRACO Design last nite, So I just want you to know that it is confirm that the shipping will be on Oct 26 to all my pre-order customer, thank you for your patience.

Same here #&@#$* :mad::mad::mad: Pre order now...so we all can get it next month in November...man this is BS:mad: DRACO Inc, change the "PRE ORDER NOW" to "Back Order" phrase.

Last edited:

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
I got the Draco IV for the iPhone 4s based on your review of it on gadgetmac. Ordered it from iGearUSA.com because Draco's actual website names them as on of their authorized dealers. Emailed Draco after you suggested that I got a replica and they told me that every Draco product that iGearUSA sells is the real deal... I had iGear replace it 2 times (3 total Draco IV's tested) and they all MURDERED my signal unless i was in a 4-5 reception bar area outdoors... killed my reception, my faux G (HSPA+), and my GPS... all 3 Dracos that i rested...

By the way, I am not at all criticizing you for your review... it was great and informative and based on looks alone, i would have bought this case in every single color!!!! and i am sure the version you purchased/they sent you worked wonderfully... if mine would have worked just as well, i would have loved it!! but it did kill my reception.. and it was not a replica... i also read the recent review on gadgetmac (by another reviewer) about a new EVO version for the 4s and it seems that they learned from elementcase and mixed ploycarbonate with aluminum to help with the reception issues... if they did that for the iPhone 5, i would have been the first pre-order... since they did not, i am on the same boat as most of the other posters on this thread who say they are waiting for someone to post a review and test for reception issues!!

again, i really hope you don't take this as an attack on your writing or your review... this is just to say that my experience and yours were very different... i still visit gadgetmac regularly and your reviews along with larry greenberg's are the ones i trust the most regarding iOS device accessories!!

Are you on AT&T as well? I've heard people complain about their reception, but from my personal experience using the case I was provided by Draco, I had a loss of one bar. I did also check the dB ratings.

rc0310

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2010
Are you on AT&T as well? I've heard people complain about their reception, but from my personal experience using the case I was provided by Draco, I had a loss of one bar. I did also check the dB ratings.

I'm from Vancouver, BC, Canada and on Fido (Rogers sister company, same network).

The reception issue has nothing to do with the carrier. It's very obvious that the choice of material for the case is causing the reception issue.

I had two authentic Draco cases for my iPhone 4S. Try going to an underground parking lot where signal is weak without the case (3 out of 5 bars), then put the case on.. Now look at the signal bar and try to make a phone call :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.