Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmarkt

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 23, 2012
California
Mail 5.2 is doing a good job of filtering junk mail, but it will not automatically delete it. Under Preferences/Accounts/Mailbox Behaviors, I've tried selecting "Quitting Mail" and "One Day Old" under the Junk options; however, all junk emails remain from day to day. I have to manually delete them.

Any ideas???

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Mail 5.2 is doing a good job of filtering junk mail, but it will not automatically delete it.
Yes, it will. Go to Mail > Preferences > Junk Mail > Advanced and under "Perform the following actions", select "Delete Message". I don't use that option, as it's possible that it may delete something that was incorrectly flagged as junk mail. I prefer to look at the junk mail folder before emptying it, just in case.

jmarkt

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 23, 2012
California
Yes, it will. Go to Mail > Preferences > Junk Mail > Advanced and under "Perform the following actions", select "Delete Message". I don't use that option, as it's possible that it may delete something that was incorrectly flagged as junk mail. I prefer to look at the junk mail folder before emptying it, just in case.

Thanks, that will work. Like you, I prefer to look at them prior to being deleted - THEN have Mail delete them within 24 hours. That's the function I can't get to work????

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thanks, that will work. Like you, I prefer to look at them prior to being deleted - THEN have Mail delete them within 24 hours. That's the function I can't get to work????
You can elect to move them to the junk folder immediately, but not to auto-delete them 24 hours after they're moved. You could also elect to have them automatically delete after 24 hours, but that wouldn't move them to the junk folder prior to deleting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.