Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Auto or Manual Focus.

• Auto Focus Forced

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Auto Focus Choice

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Manual Focus

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Mix

Votes: 13 65.0%

• Total voters

beavo451

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2006
Rokem said:
Do you auto or manual focus? and why your choice.

Usually AF. I use the center point and recompose, unless I am using a large aperture and cannot recompose. I use manual when AF cannot acheive the correct focus. (Gotta make use of the AF-S override feature. :D )

failsafe1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2003
Some of both

Mainly because I am getting older boo-hoo and the screen of the AF cameras I use (Nikon D2 and EOS 1D) are smaller than what I learned on when using film. When I pick up a film body usually just for fun I am amazed how large the focusing screen seems. I only use lenses that allow for focus override and keep the focus control seperate from the shutter button so I can shoot even is slightly out of focus but important enough not to loose.

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
mix, typically AF though about half my lenses at any given point are MF. At this point it's a bit biased towards AF lenses.

Even so I use the AF lenses in MF mode relatively often when doing fun shooting.

For more important stuff I tend to go AF more often. My eyes, despite my youth, are fading rapidly.

I'd never do MF for sports. You try MFing a 200mm f/2.0 or 300mm f/2.8 after a long day of school while keeping up with the 8FPS of your camera :rolleyes:

I would venture to say that a plurality of my really good shots were done with MF or tweaked AF (such as using the memory set/recall feature of my 200 f/2.0, or the m/a mode of AF-S lenses.)

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
100 % manual focus on my digital SLR and 100 % automatic on my 35mm ZLR but only because it only allows rudimentary manual controls.

Considering that I've spent 99 % of my time behind a camera that didn't have automatic controls, I feel better with manual focus.

Karpfish

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2006
I manual when i can, but when i need speed i use auto. Im not good enough or fast enough in manual to use it a lot.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Usually go with AF but when shooting macros or if I'm in a situation where the AF isn't able to really work well, I use MF. Some of my older lenses are MF so of course there I have no choice. One of my cameras is off at Katz Eye Optics right now, being fitted with a special Katz Eye split-prism focusing screen which should be very useful in working with my manual lenses or with MF on my newer lenses.

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
I use AF 99% of the time. The only time I don't is when I'm shooting purposefully into the sun to get a ton of flare.

AF can't handle all that light, so I have to go MF.

Not that bad with my 70-200, it has full time manual focusing and a big 'o focus ring. Quit a pain in the nards with my 50 though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.