Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RudeIota

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2008
I'll try to keep this concise... :)

I have a 10.3.9 client and a 10.4.11 server. The server uses Open Directory for accounts, clients can login and network management works properly.

My issue is - I would like the client to automatically login to a network managed account created specifically for that computer. The only ways to auto login (that I've found) deal with local accounts.

I was thinking there might be a trick with Netinfo or something along those lines... Any ideas?

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
I'm certainly not aware of any way that you can, and would assume it would not be allowed, as it's a major potential security hole in your network.

viggen9

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2004
You can use ARD to send the username and password to the loginwindow fields and set that as a recurring task.

thecow

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2003
Timonium MD
I know this is possible in 10.4, not sure about 10.3. I have about 30 computers in a lab that all share one account on an OD master to easily set all the preferences for the whole lab. (yeah, I know that's not the best way to do it, but it works)
I think the way that I got them to auto login was to log into the network account, open system preferences and go to the accounts pane. The network account should show up as a choice for auto login. Select it and put in your password as you would with a local one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.