Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

indigoflowAS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, OH
I'm using some Automator workflows in order to sort my web downloads into designated folders...i wanted to do it via Applescript, but it seems like it is over my head.

I have it set up to move, say a .zip file to a designated "zip" folder. But the Automator workflow runs as soon as the file appears...hence trying to move a partial file...which is not good. Any ideas on how to have a script/workflow run upon the completion of the file?

If I am not clear, please ask me to elaborate. Thanks.:)

scan300

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2003
Melbourne, Australia
None of the automator actions monitor downloads. There is one thing with Safari, you can take advantage of. While a download is in progress Safari adds ".download" to the filename, and removes it when the download is complete. In your automator workflow you can add the action 'Find finder items' with the filter "Whose - Extension - Does not contain - download" and the workflow will ignore the file being downloaded, but deal with everything else. The catch is that the automator action won't file the completed download until the workflow is next run.

You could loop the workflow until the folder is empty, but you'll need to add an applescript to form this part of the task, as I don't think there is an automator action for customised looping.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.