Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johns

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2007
importing raw AVCHD into imovie 08 without camera

hello, does anyone know how to import or edit raw AVCHD files into the latest versions of imovie or final cut pro?

the reason for asking is i purchased a Panasonic HDC-SD1 back in march right when it came out in asia. i knew at the time this AVCHD format wasn't yet supported by imovie or FC but had a feeling it would sooner or later. when iLife 08 came out i was hopeful AVCHD would be included and apparently it is, but as far as i can see imovie 08 only support AVCHD when the video is played back directly from the camera into imovie.

here's the problem...i have over 200 gigs of raw AVCHD files sitting on a hard drive for eight months and now it appears i cannot import the raw video data for editing even in the new version of imovie or FC.

am i missing something?

is there a workaround with mac OS to sort this problem or are all these 50+ hours of video lost until another upgrade comes to imovie?

if there is anyone out there who could shed some light on this problem of importing AVCHD video files from HD's and not when connecting the camera on playback to the computer i would be extremely grateful.

thank you for your time.

all the best, john

CristianTorrent

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2008
Newbie Here

Hi there!

I have a Panasonic SD5 like featured above. I tried to put my clips on my normal PC and the programme that came with it Pinnacle, well kept crashing.

I bought a G5 then and also Final Cut Pro, and the clips wouldn't show up. I rang Apple support, they told me a G5 wouldnt recognise AVCHD and to order an imac.

Then whilst that was on order I saw that even if I edited a film, a feature film and wanted to burn it to BluRay DVD, I cannot yet.

Ive spent all this money and ended up with nothing to show for it.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Hi there!

I have a Panasonic SD5 like featured above. I tried to put my clips on my normal PC and the programme that came with it Pinnacle, well kept crashing.

I bought a G5 then and also Final Cut Pro, and the clips wouldn't show up. I rang Apple support, they told me a G5 wouldnt recognise AVCHD and to order an imac.

Then whilst that was on order I saw that even if I edited a film, a feature film and wanted to burn it to BluRay DVD, I cannot yet.

Ive spent all this money and ended up with nothing to show for it.
OK, seems like you're in a pickle. Here's what you should consider.

1. Look into an application called Voltaic. It transcodes AVCHD to AIC. Your G5 should work flawlessly with AIC, but the storage requirements are high (note - even with an Intel Mac, iMovie transcodes the AVCHD to AIC).

2. Look into Toast 9. You can use it to burn AVCHD footage onto a standard DVD that can play on BluRay players. Sure, you wouldn't be able to fit a ton of HD material onto a DVD-5/9, but it'll get you through until they have BD-burners on Macs.

Hopefully, these suggestions can work for you until you can upgrade to a newer Mac. Just don't expect superfast computing. Unfortunately, you bought a 2 year old Mac that was built when AVCHD wasn't even established.

Good luck.

ft

CristianTorrent

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2008
Thanks

Thanks for that answer. In fact I got rid of the G5 the other day. I will order an imac and see how I get on. I will use Final Cut Express to do my edits.

For the moment I am back on my Windows PC until the imac arrives.

Will there ever be a way of authoring a film project to BluRay DVD playable in any other BluRay DVD player? Surely this is what we all want to do.

ULead DVD Workshop did a great job making a DVD film project right from bringing in the clips to adding chapters menus and menu music, that is what I want to do in HD.

:)

bertoa

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2008
How to get edited HD video back to the HDR-SD5?

A month ago I bought the Panasonic HDR-SD5 camcorder. After editing the
HD videomaterial in FinalCut Pro6 compatible standard, I want to export this
material as Panasonic compatible AVCHD back to the camcorder.
Why buying a HD mediaplayer as I can use my compact camcorder with a
component and HDMI output?
Did anyone ever exported AVCHD material back to the camcorder (SDcard)
and play that out of the device? What encoder did you use? What settings?

Courtaj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2008
Edinburgh, U.K.
A month ago I bought the Panasonic HDR-SD5 camcorder. After editing the
HD videomaterial in FinalCut Pro6 compatible standard, I want to export this
material as Panasonic compatible AVCHD back to the camcorder.
Why buying a HD mediaplayer as I can use my compact camcorder with a
component and HDMI output?
Did anyone ever exported AVCHD material back to the camcorder (SDcard)
and play that out of the device? What encoder did you use? What settings?

There is no "AVCHD-in" on the Panasonics. I doubt that FCP exports in .mts. Even if it did, the camera will not have indexed the file (assuming you copy it back to an SD card) and therefore will not detect or play it. Short of some kind of genius hack, I don't think it's going to do what you want it to.

Andrew.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.