Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Crovus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2003
Hi,
What programs do you guys use to watch files in avi or dvix formats? I know for windows i can get codecs and such. Is there similiar for the mac?

Or maybe there's some program out there that can convert the files to mpeg?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

Oh by the way I'm running Panther.

Cheers
Crovus

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
I agree with crap freakboy.

I use VLC most of the time, but Mplayer OSX has this gr8 fast scrolling feature.

There are a couple of (divx, 3ivx) codecs available for QuickTime Player, but using VLC or MPlayer is better advised.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Just to be picky, .avi, like .mov, isn't a format in itself, it's just a container for audio and video. There are tens, maybe hundreds, of different codecs/formats that all use the .avi extension. Unfortunately, there's no "one size fits all" codec that can play all .avis, but try 3ivx, it can play the majority of them.

abhishekit

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
akron , ohio
i always use VLC and in pretty much plays all the things...quicktime takes part of the rest of the formats...plus u cn download mediaplayer...

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
I always try in Quicktime first.

If it won't play there, I try VLC.

The Mplayer.

Then WMP9.

Naturally files with wpm or rm extensions will play in either WMP9 or RealOne respectively.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.