Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Santiago17a

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2012
Has anybody tried using Pro Tools 10 with the new Retina Macbook Pro?
I don't think I can wait for the new Mac Pro or iMacs to be released, but I know the Retina Macbook Pro is not within the system requirements for Avid's Pro Tools.

Santiago17a

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2012
what deficiencies are you seeing with the mac pro for running PT10?

Well, as it is very new, the Retina Macbook Pro is not tested or listed as a Avid-qualifed Apple computer. Plus, Avid says that SSD's are not officially supported for system or audio recording/playback. Firewire drives are supported but a thunderbolt to firewire adaptor should be used with R-MBP's and it is not available yet. Usb drives for Mac are not recommeded by Avid (yet).
So I was wondering if someone has already used Pro Tools 10 with a Retina MacBook pro as it is and what the experience is like. Also, if somebody has, what audio interface are they using it.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
i mean the mac pro, not the retina macbook pro.

seems you're okay with a desktop, so why not the mac pro?

Santiago17a

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2012
i mean the mac pro, not the retina macbook pro.

seems you're okay with a desktop, so why not the mac pro?

Yes, I am not talking about the Mac Pro, but about the Retina Macbook Pro.
I am not saying it doesn't work, I am saying it is not a recommeded nor qualified computer by Avid yet. So I am asking people who are using this new computer and have actually tried Pro Tools 10 with it and can tell how the experience is like.
I am particularly interested in knowing what type of drive they're using for playback/record, maybe they have only tried with the same system SSD. I also would like to know what audio interface they are using and what the experience is like with sound libraries with PT10 and the R-MBP.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
i will clarify.

yes, you are right. the MBPro retina does not look like a good machine for PT10, given the SSD system drive, the machine itself has not been approved by Avid yet, and using a TB->FW adapter is unproven. it will probably work fine, but you're right to be concerned and do research.

earlier, you said you don't want to wait for a mac pro. to me, that sounds like you're okay with a desktop machine. all the mac pro's will work great with PT10.

so my question is: why have you ruled out a mac pro?

Santiago17a

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2012
i will clarify.

yes, you are right. the MBPro retina does not look like a good machine for PT10, given the SSD system drive, the machine itself has not been approved by Avid yet, and using a TB->FW adapter is unproven. it will probably work fine, but you're right to be concerned and do research.

earlier, you said you don't want to wait for a mac pro. to me, that sounds like you're okay with a desktop machine. all the mac pro's will work great with PT10.

so my question is: why have you ruled out a mac pro?

Oh, ok.
Yes, I'd love to get a Mac Pro instead. But if I make such a big investment in money, it would have to be with a real updated Mac Pro and not the one that is available now.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
Oh, ok.
Yes, I'd love to get a Mac Pro instead. But if I make such a big investment in money, it would have to be with a real updated Mac Pro and not the one that is available now.

i'm just wondering what's wrong with it. the 6-core is the fastest audio machine apple makes, and they just dropped it $700. you can put 32 gig RAM in it for < $400. it is approved by avid. it is praised by audio engineers.

Santiago17a

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2012
i'm just wondering what's wrong with it. the 6-core is the fastest audio machine apple makes, and they just dropped it $700. you can put 32 gig RAM in it for < $400. it is approved by avid. it is praised by audio engineers.

Yes, I don't want to buy it unless there's a real update in the Mac Pro. In the meantime I'm looking for another option, that's why I'm asking if somebody has tried Pro Tools 10 with the Retina Macbook Pro.

Skidbro

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2012
I'm in the same boat.. I do a lot of design and photo/ video work in addition to recording. I take my laptop with me everywhere So the lightness and the retina display are so enticing. I feel like someone out there has to have tried the retina with their recording setup by now. I'd love you forever! Share:)

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
Yes, I don't want to buy it unless there's a real update in the Mac Pro. In the meantime I'm looking for another option, that's why I'm asking if somebody has tried Pro Tools 10 with the Retina Macbook Pro.

What's wrong with a 2011 iMac i5. You can get a refurb 27" 2.7 for $1419 at the Apple Store. Add a couple of external FW 800 HDs for $400 more and your good to go.

Santiago17a

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2012
What's wrong with a 2011 iMac i5. You can get a refurb 27" 2.7 for $1419 at the Apple Store. Add a couple of external FW 800 HDs for $400 more and your good to go.

It sounds good, but where I live Apple doesn't sell refurb computers. But, anyway, I don't want an iMac unless is a new version. That's why I want to hear about people using the new MacBook Pros.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.