Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

munckee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 27, 2005
I have a b/w g3 running os9. The login window offers two options, guest and admin. I don't have the admin password and as soon as I log into the guest account, I get an error on my monitor that says something like "this signal is incompatible in this mode". Everything up until then displays correctly.

The computer is hooked up to my dell monitor via VGA cable. Anyone know why this is happening or how to fix it?

x86

macrumors regular
May 25, 2006
Dearborn, MI
Do you happen to have another monitor? Possibly a more modern one? It sounds like your resolution is too high for the monitor to handle. There should be a way to lower it before you log on, sort of like "safe-mode" in Windows, but I have never used OS 9, so maybe someone else can chime in on that...

munckee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 27, 2005
x86 said:
Do you happen to have another monitor? Possibly a more modern one? It sounds like your resolution is too high for the monitor to handle. There should be a way to lower it before you log on, sort of like "safe-mode" in Windows, but I have never used OS 9, so maybe someone else can chime in on that...

It's a Dell 20" widescreen (2005, not 2007); I don't think that's the issue.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
I've seen an issue where Yikes! G4 towers will fail to display video if you start them up with certain resolutions. Since they use the same motherboard as the B&Ws, it might be similar. This was under OSX, though, although zapping the PRAM brought it back every time (I may have also had to do an Open Firmware reset, but I don't think so).

There was no problem for me selecting the resolution after startup, but if I restarted at that resolution, no video at all. No fix that I know of.

Also: 20" widescreen LCD on a B&W with OS9... that's something else.

munckee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 27, 2005
DZ/015 said:
If you are using the original video card that came with the G3, I am 99.9% sure it is incompatible with the widescreen display.

I just sold another b/w g3 yesterday that worked fine with my dell. Now that one was a 450mhz, so maybe it was just new enough to work. I update after I get to try the PRAM update.

munckee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 27, 2005
No luck with PRAM resent. Message reads "1: D-Sub Cannot Display this mode" :confused:
I'm gonna do a clean install and update; we'll see if that clears this up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.