Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
Best of both worlds would be Apple allowed downgrading. I love that my iPad 2 has gotten up to iOS 9 - would be fairly useless to be by now if iOS 7 was the last. However, if Apple just signed old installs of iOS, then you could choose which one to install. Since only techie people would do this (its hidden in iTunes) it would not be an issue.
Apple should either allow downgrading, or optimise new updates so that there is no performance impact (which they definitely can afford to do).

But since either option would result in less sales, Apple won't do it.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Apple should either allow downgrading, or optimise new updates so that there is no performance impact (which they definitely can afford to do).

But since either option would result in less sales, Apple won't do it.

I agree - both would be the perfect world. iOS 9 on my iPad 2 is greatly appreciated, but it is slower than iOS 8 and given how little iOS 9 added (for the iPad 2) that should actually impact on performance, it doesn't make much sense.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Sorry, but what did I say that was untrue? No proof? In fact there's plenty. For example,

What functionality has been added to the email/sms/camera app that justifies the slowdown shown above?

Again, it's simply because Apple doesn't bother to optimise for the older devices. There's no reason for the email app to take twice as long to launch. Apple does have the resources, but if the older iPhone worked just as well as the newest one (which Apple could do if they wanted) nobody would upgrade.

I know you're referring to this as a 'little conspiracy theory' in a condescending manner, but there's no conspiracy here. It's all pretty obvious.
[doublepost=1465730292][/doublepost]
Ok....why do security patches cause a performance impact?

Good question. It could be because of the slow addition of more code, it could be because sometimes security patches unleash new bugs (some bugs cover up others).

Not really.

Sometimes other related software components have to be upgraded as well to patch the hole , but generally security updates have minimal impact on performance. At least with Windows devices.

The problem lies in that Apple doesn't roll out security updates solely. Often they are lumped in with other updates and that's when performance starts to suffer. And that's why many people just accept the lie that getting security updates means your device may get slower.

Are you serious? There have been so many conspiracy theories about how Microsoft started to "slow down" their older versions with security patches to get you to update.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Good question. It could be because of the slow addition of more code, it could be because sometimes security patches unleash new bugs (some bugs cover up others).

Are you serious? There have been so many conspiracy theories about how Microsoft started to "slow down" their older versions with security patches to get you to update.

That may be...I don't really know or care. (I don't install every security update from MS either.)

The point about security fixes with Apple...and them being lumped in with other fixes and feature upgrades remain. So maybe Apple is no different than MS...doesn't mean that they couldn't do it better if they wanted to.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
That may be...I don't really know or care. (I don't install every security update from MS either.)

The point about security fixes with Apple...and them being lumped in with other fixes and feature upgrades remain. So maybe Apple is no different than MS...doesn't mean that they couldn't do it better if they wanted to.

There is always the chance that performance changes whenever you mess with code at all. Period. But they should do better to minimize that, agreed. That would involve them holding off on security patches a little to make sure it doesn't do anything bad, though, which is just as bad to some people.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
There is always the chance that performance changes whenever you mess with code at all. Period. But they should do better to minimize that, agreed. That would involve them holding off on security patches a little to make sure it doesn't do anything bad, though, which is just as bad to some people.

I accept that viewpoint.

/ smile/

Reactions: Michael Goff
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.