Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ahmadof

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2003
does anyone know how to backup a mailbox in mail? if i drag a mailbox to the desktop, i get a little mailbox icon and a XXXX.mbox name. when i look in the librarry under "mail", the folder is full of these little boxes as well. The file size seems to be too small to contain all the messagesa and attachmetns. Can i just burn this to a disk and have a backup or no? thanks

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
ahmadof said:
does anyone know how to backup a mailbox in mail? if i drag a mailbox to the desktop, i get a little mailbox icon and a XXXX.mbox name. when i look in the librarry under "mail", the folder is full of these little boxes as well. The file size seems to be too small to contain all the messagesa and attachmetns. Can i just burn this to a disk and have a backup or no? thanks
If you want a full backup of your Mail mailboxes and other settings, you should back up:

~/Library/Mail (the whole folder)
~/Library/Caches/Mail (the whole folder)
~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Mail.plist (all your settings are stored in this file)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.