Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kuyu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2003
Louisville
Sorry, but I don't have any info about backlit keyboards for the desktop.

But, would anyone out there like to have one. I think a good price point could be ~$100. Not wireless, but fiberoptic lit nonetheless.

Personally, I'd love to have one. Especially if they made each keyboard support red, green, and blue. This way you could have the letters/numbers light up in almost any color you choose. Also, the colors could sweep from one end of the keyboard to the other (or in any pattern you could dream of).

Just want to get thoughts on the matter...

I think it would be cool as hell. "Hey, come in here and check out my new computer!" Good for showing off. I don't see a need, though. I use my computer a lot at 4:00 in a room that has heavy curtains and dark-green walls. I get enough light off my monitor to see the keys when I need to see them. I usually don't need to see them, I just fell the bumps on the F and J keys and I'm ready to type. If there were one, I would want a way to turn the lighted keys off. We occasionally watch a movie on the iMac, and when my 20"er arrives this week, we'll probably be watching a lot more on it. I think a lighted keyboard will get in the way.

kuyu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2003
Louisville
I agree, there would have to be a way to turn the keyboard lights off, as many people don't want the distraction. But, while a screen saver was running it sure would look cool if the keyboard was glowing in all the colors of the rainbow.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
sounds like a solution to a problem that never existed. The light up feature on the powerbooks isn't all that great; it just drives up cost.

junior

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2003
Originally posted by carletonmusic
sounds like a solution to a problem that never existed. The light up feature on the powerbooks isn't all that great; it just drives up cost.

On the contrary, I find the backlight on my Powerbook to be incredibly useful.
You may not have a use for it, but I certainly do.

Kingsnapped

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I think you actually need to use the feature before you pass judgement. I never thought I would need a backlit keyboard before I got my PB, now I see how useful it really is. I'm sure the same is true for many other tecnologies floating around. One might say "Why would I need 10,000 songs in my pocket." Or back in the day, someone might have said "Bah, GUIs are worthless."

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
I would buy one. When I'm working at a computer for long hours, the brightness of the screen causes eyestrain (like looking into a lamp for hours). So I like to have the room dark and turn the brightness way down. The problem then is that I can't see the keys on the keyboard.

Touch-typing's not the answer because we have to use keys like backslash and others which are in different places on different keyboards. Maybe a little "art-light" which would work?

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
I would also buy one. Even better if it was bluetooth wireless with 4-8 rechargable batteries with inbuilt charger that usb docks with machine when not in use. I think more batteries would be needed for the light. But of course I am dreaming and this will never be made as its to expensive, too small a market etc

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
I'd buy one, especially if it didn't have a "Windows Start" button on it.

This sort of thing shouldn't be too expensive to manufacture. Think of the current Apple Keyboard. Imagine the keys were translucent like the black Apple Pro Keyboards and the TiBooks. Then picture the surface under the keys (where the key actuators are) is illuminated by some fiber optics.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Yeah, that ones been floating round for quite a while now - it first appeared shortly after the illuminated PowerBook. Coincedence? I think not!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.