Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pimentoLoaf

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 30, 2001
The SimCity Deli
... Now I like a good slab of bacon as much as the next guy, but I think our obsession with the stuff is getting a little out of hand. We're sliding down that slippery slope from interesting experimentation to abhorrent culinary atrocities that should not be.

Raccoon bacon with a nice duck pancreatic sauce (Boy Scout favorite, cooked in aluminum foil)?

Pomeless

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2010
Great!! This thread just made me want a BLT for lunch!!! Must resist! I love bacon but I have come to learn that I have an allergic reaction to it.

It cause severe swelling around my mid-section and thighs!

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Someone just told me yesterday about a hot dog place in Tacoma that has many many varieties of condiments they put on the dogs. He got one with peanut butter and bacon. ...said it was really good! The bacon was very thinly sliced, not bacon bits.

tekboi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
EasŦcoast
I like bacon w/ pancakes, bacon on burgers, bacon with my grits in the morning.

But just bacon by itself... no thanks.

righteye

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2011
London
Maybe it's just me but whenever I eat really fried or really fatty foods, I get really bad stomach pains. So in a way, I enjoy not eating it because I remember going to school every day when I was younger lying on my desk wishing I were dead for the longest time until I finally discovered what was causing the pain. Caffeine does the same thing to me, as well.

Not all bacon is Fatty, in the UK there is huge range of the stuff, back bacon can be quite lean any excess fat can be trimmed off and grilled will leave most of the fat drained off.
Personally i only eat free range and organic.
We have Streaky bacon which is much more fatty (more like pancetta) and for me is used to wrap around chicken to add flavour and protect the skinless chicken breast.
Granola bars are stuffed full of sugar which unless you run everywhere or a gymaholic you will still end up getting fat.
All things in moderation is the answer nobody in their right mind would suggest one makes up a large part of your diet with bacon to much salt for a start.
Gosh, just realised this has been running since 2004!

Last edited:

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
We get free range organic triple smoked bacon from about 15 kilometres away! Killed and smoked on the farm and sold in a butchers about 1 kilometre away from them. We've been to the farm to check out the living conditions and ended up buying home delivered raw milk that is non-pasteurised and non-homoginised from them as they also do that.

My favourite thing for the bacon is a fettucine carbonara, that's super easy and mega heart-attack inducing, with equal parts of thickened cream, bacon, parmesan cheese and heaps of cracked black pepper to cut through the sauce. Fry the bacon first, throw in the cream, simmer till thick enough, then add the cheese and mix through really well. Nothing worse than a great lump of chewy parmesan in the mix! You must use all top notch products though and a super sharp parmesan goes down well. :cool:

Last edited:

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
just crushed a double baconator
Your user name is quite fitting!

Meanwhile, I smell a royal straight flush!

bacon-playing-cards.jpg

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I've been on a new healthy eating plan for the past 14 weeks. No pork allowed, so it's been a long time since I've had a tasty piece of bacon. :(

It's a trade off though. I've lost lots of weight and am in better shape than I've been in for a long time. :)

zachlegomaniac

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2008
I've been on a new healthy eating plan for the past 14 weeks. No pork allowed, so it's been a long time since I've had a tasty piece of bacon. :(

It's a trade off though. I've lost lots of weight and am in better shape than I've been in for a long time. :)

The only thing than better than bacon is being in great shape. You don't even have the option of walking over glass to be in great shape. ;)

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Health food!

105-year-old woman says eating bacon every day is her key to long life

A 105-year-old woman from Richland, Texas says that the key to long life is bacon.

Pearl Cantrell’s love of bacon is so strong that the Oscar Meyer Wienermobile made a stop through town last week to wish her a happy birthday, all because she told a local news station her amazing secret.

“I love bacon, I eat it everyday,” she told a reporter for Abilene-based Big Country Homepage in April. “I don’t feel as old as I am, that’s all I can say.”

One month later, Cantrell was sitting shotgun in the Wienermobile and riding through the town as dozens of local residents watched the strange-looking vehicle pass by.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.