Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BicyclePunk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 26, 2002
Somewhere near Philadelphia
Ok...here's a doozy. I'm unable to empty my trash. And I've even tried using some aftermarket trash apps. The stuff in there just pops back in.

I think this might be related, but one of my internal hard drives appeared to die last week. I tried fixing the disc with Disk Utility, but it couldn't complete it. These files in my trash now were originally on that disk. Thankfully I was able to recover files off that disk with Dat Rescue. Very cool app. And I got a new internal disk to replace the assumed broken one.

Today I tried to upgrade to Tiger and it will not complete the install. I broke out the Panther install disc and ran Disk Utility from there to try and repair this hard drive...the one with Panther on it, and the same error popped up as my other internal drive. It won't repair or install Tiger.

Apple tech support said to do a clean install, but not sure I can fit that in right now. Does anyone have any other advice? Could it be a virus of sorts? Is it related to these files that won't clear out of the trash?

Thanks in advance.

Apple

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2005
Charlotte, NC
open up the trash can and then try to secure empty trash. This can be selected through the finder menu. Hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.