Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oGu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2007
So I am basicly trying to play warcraft 3 on my late 2011 MBP 13. I managed to install the via a older snow leopard macbook. The problem that I have and is specific to my video config is that some textures go black. This does not happen on any other macs on Lion with a video card that is not HD 3000. For instance playing on a 2007 macbook is ok on lion. I attached screen shots from each machine so you understand better what I am talking about. Is there a solution for this or I just have to wait for apple to put out new drivers? Or does Mountain Lion fix the issue?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-04-30 at 11.15.27 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-04-30 at 11.15.27 AM.png
    923.6 KB · Views: 255
  • Screen Shot 2012-04-30 at 11.35.10 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-04-30 at 11.35.10 AM.png
    783.5 KB · Views: 285

paul117

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2012
So I am basicly trying to play warcraft 3 on my late 2011 MBP 13. I managed to install the via a older snow leopard macbook. The problem that I have and is specific to my video config is that some textures go black. This does not happen on any other macs on Lion with a video card that is not HD 3000. For instance playing on a 2007 macbook is ok on lion. I attached screen shots from each machine so you understand better what I am talking about. Is there a solution for this or I just have to wait for apple to put out new drivers? Or does Mountain Lion fix the issue?

maybe the intel 3000 is simply unsupported?

oGu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2007
Everything works pretty fine on 6770m or other newer GFX card from what I read. I personally don't think that this happens because it is unsupported. I noticed also some graphics glitches in other 3d apps.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Everything works pretty fine on 6770m or other newer GFX card from what I read. I personally don't think that this happens because it is unsupported. I noticed also some graphics glitches in other 3d apps.
If your update to 10.7.3 was not with the 10.7.3 Combo updater, try that first. And of course if you do apply that run software update after to catch any needed patches. If that doens't fix the issue, you should try asking in Blizzard's WoW Mac Tech Support Forum (US).

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Here too

For what it's worth, my home computer is a 15" MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) with both the NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M and the Intel HD 4000. I installed Warcraft III in the same fashion you did on this machine as it shipped to me with Mountain Lion pre-installed. To my delight, the game works perfectly. On my work computer, a 13" MacBook Air (Mid 2011) with just the Intel HD 3000, with the game installed, again, in the same fashion, I have the same problem you are having. I did a fresh installation of Mountain Lion on this machine and am running 10.8.3. Still experiencing the problem.

I'd like to think that when my MacBook Pro is running Warcraft III it isn't defaulting to the GT 650 given that the HD 4000 is more than enough to run that game, but I don't really have any way of verifying this for sure, and I guess it's irrelevant. Point is that I'm another Mac user with an Intel HD 3000 and I'm experiencing the same problem. Interestingly enough, I also own a Windows ultrabook, an Asus Zenbook UX31E with a Sandy Bridge Core i5 processor. Said machine, also has the Intel HD 3000, but it has Windows 7 and under Windows 7 with this exact hardware, Warcraft III runs fine without this issue.

Given this, I'm inclined to believe that it it, in fact, something to do with the OS X Intel HD driver. But given that Blizzard has all but abandoned Mac support for Warcraft III and that Apple, therefore, has no reason to have Intel tweak their driver for this graphics chipset for this chipset, we will not see a fix of any kind.

Still though, when I went to google this problem, this thread was the first hit and it was exactly the same problem I was having.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.