Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coopdog

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 5, 2002
The Great Midwest
I'm doing a school project on Julius Ceaser the Play... I'm making a video and using a Cannon ZR10 and the one Cannon below the GL... So nice mini DV cams... This project is 1/2 of our grade so its really big! I imported the video via FireWire into my 350 G4 and the quality is so Bad! Especialy on Titles. Would the quality be better in FCP3/FCXP? My friend is doing the same project using a Sony Cam in the same price range, and using FC express (FCXP) and his video looks so crisp! Is there a Tech. Reason for this? Any info would be great or Tips. Thanks!!!!

FelixDerKater

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2002
Nirgendwo in Amerika
Did the titles and everything look good in preview mode? At one time I was having a problem with iMovie 2 where everything looked nice and clean in the preview, but once you played thr actual movies, eveything would get blocky.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Have you tried recording the video back to tape and playing it on a TV to see how it looks? I've heard that slower Macs will lower the on-screen res because it can't display the full res video w/o dropping frames.

Lethal

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN
Lethal's right.

Whenever I import video into iMovie on my iBook, the video and the titles look like crap. I always think they are going to turn out looking horrible. But, once I export the video back to my Canon ZR 25 MC camera, the video looks crystal clear. You shouldn't have a problem editing in iMovie.

coopdog

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 5, 2002
The Great Midwest
Oh thanks!

Thanks for the replies ill use iMovie 3 instead of FCP.
I'm struggling to use FCP express... Its hard i have never used it before, SO many more options than iMovie 3 though!! It seems to run a lot faster on my slow G4... Strange.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Re: Oh thanks!

Originally posted by coopdog
Thanks for the replies ill use iMovie 3 instead of FCP.
I'm struggling to use FCP express... Its hard i have never used it before, SO many more options than iMovie 3 though!! It seems to run a lot faster on my slow G4... Strange.

iMovie 3 has some speed issues. Hopefully Apple will able to patch it soon.

Lethal

coopdog

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 5, 2002
The Great Midwest
In FCE (Final cut express)

In FCE (Final cut express) How do i add titles? Like test on the screen???! I can add transitions but not text. How do I do that?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.