Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
There are a couple military specific credit unions like Pentagon Federal Credit Union, Navy Federal Credit Union, and a couple others I can't remember off the top of my head. My credit union is called Service Credit Union military folks and their hangers on have needs that normal Americans don't like paying bills to Europeans, insuring our American cars in Europe, European debit cards like giro card and such. I use my credit union to deal with Al my European stuff and USAA to deal with all my American stuff to include insurance.
It was the AFB references that confused me.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
I'm confused! I don't live in Los Angeles! ;)

:D:p

Most AFB are exactly that, Air Force Bases, equipped with facilities for strategic purposes, commissaries, runway(s), ATC tower, etc.

The Los Angeles AFB is literally just a building sitting 2 miles south of LAX, slapped between a McDonalds and a Chipotle Mexican Grill, with barely a commissary, without a bank or ATM in it (that's how I last saw it; hopefully it has changed). But one would think that an Air Force Base would have something that the Air Force would actually use outside of offering contracts to aerospace companies suspiciously positioned across the street from it, to less than a block away. ;)

BL.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I've been with a local credit union since March and love it, after being with BoA then PNC. There are no fees, no minimum balances, no BS.

Can you find another CU that's local to you? Paying a bank to have your money there is ridiculous. Although, with a CU, you don't really need to be near their location. Since opening my account, thanks to the co-op ATM network, shared branches and mobile deposit, the only reason I needed to go back to my CU was to obtain an auto loan.

Westpac, and NAB here don't charge fees either.... as how it should if u using a foreign ATM (local only, not international) which makes sense.

Petty mobile carriers don't get this yet with text messaging on the "same network"

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
:D:p

Most AFB are exactly that, Air Force Bases, equipped with facilities for strategic purposes, commissaries, runway(s), ATC tower, etc.

The Los Angeles AFB is literally just a building sitting 2 miles south of LAX, slapped between a McDonalds and a Chipotle Mexican Grill, with barely a commissary, without a bank or ATM in it (that's how I last saw it; hopefully it has changed). But one would think that an Air Force Base would have something that the Air Force would actually use outside of offering contracts to aerospace companies suspiciously positioned across the street from it, to less than a block away. ;)

BL.

Sounds like Ft. McClellan in Anniston AL. Used to have an amazing PX, but now they have a "shopette." Yippee lucky if they have shampoo.

Reactions: bradl

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
The direct deposit thing can be a pain. Most banks and some credit unions will charge a small fee if you don't have direct deposit. We moved from our local CU to Wellsfargo because we needed wiring services done and our credit union didn't have hours that worked for us or an online presence that was suitable for our needs.

Did I like our CU, yes, but they were not the right fit for us. Wellsfargo has been good and have only had one issue with them which they rectified rather quickly. But again, if we didn't have a direct deposit with them, they would charge us a small fee. Pain I tell yeah.

Someone mentioned internet bank, we used to belong to ING which was almost all online and loved it. Sadly they were purchased by Chase. Chase hasn't been that bad and still have them for our two accounts that were brought over during the merger of Chase and ING.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
I have a loathing and disdain for Wells Fargo that runs deep, so much so I blogged about it 5 years ago

I currently use Delta Community Credit Union and I love every part of being with them
Hmm I didn’t know you lived in Fayetteville! I used to live there as well as PTC

Read your blog, amazing they won’t let you spend your own money. Not everyone has or uses credit cards

Last edited:

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I have a loathing and disdain for Wells Fargo that runs deep, so much so I blogged about it 5 years ago

I currently use Delta Community Credit Union and I love every part of being with them

I have not run into those problems, but holy cow what an experience. What is funny I had the same experience with the credit union I was with which is why I moved to WF some 15 years ago. Ugh. I may have to give the credit union a go again since they are under new management.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.