Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
USAA World MasterCard, has Chip & PIN, and only 12%, also I can use it in Apple Pay

Doesn't look like the USAA card has the PIN functionality - just Chip and Signature.

Chip and Signature is what most banks in the U.S. are supposedly going to roll out over the next year as they don't make quite as much money on Chip and PIN transactions as opposed to the less secure Chip and Signature transactions.

https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/banking_credit_cards_world_mastercard?akredirect=true

Serious bummer as I love USAA and if anyone would have Chip and PIN on their cards I would have expected it from them - maybe they'll add that over the next year or so.

Anyone else know of a U.S. Chip and PIN card beside this 24% (ugh) Apple card?

Here's a great article explaining the difference between Chip and Signature (basically what we have today except getting the card number from a chip instead of the mag stripe) and Chip and PIN and why U.S. banks are going for the less secure choice (after all the security issues we've seen over the last year):

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2014/10/chip-pin-vs-chip-signature/

I think its that high because they have low standards so Apple can sell more computers and phones.

Someone, earlier in the thread, was actually saying Barclays was being somewhat discerning in looking at people's credit and turning folks down.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Finally, a great rewards card for the Apple Store. 3% is excellent as I shop a ton every year. I'll definitely be applying for this, though I may wait until the next big purchase to take advantage of their special financing promotion.

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
LOL! I just went to check it out and the website is down, experiencing "technical issues". If indeed it's 24% interest, that's absurd. Spending over $800 to get a $25 gift card isn't much of an incentive.

Still down 4 1/2 hours later...

Did Barclay's get MacRumorred? :rolleyes:

Jeff Meredith

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2007
Colorado
USAA World MasterCard, has Chip & PIN, and only 12%, also I can use it in Apple Pay

I also use USAA in Apple Pay. But you have to be a veteran or veteran dependent in general. I also had to wait 6 months for my Chip and PIN and used a regular card. USAA is great but if Barclays offers Chip and PIN off the bat, I'm in. Will be very useful for travel overseas.

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
From what I understand the Chip and Signature cards just won't have the PIN in them (or enabled).

As far as the buyer goes (at the store), if the terminal is there they'll be able to do whatever they want (PIN or signature), as long as their card supports it, since signature is the fallback and the PIN doesn't work online. The main point is that most Chip cards in the U.S., at this point, are planning on being rolled out without the PIN component so the user won't be able to use that portion of the technology (even though it drastically enhances the security of the transaction at physical stores when used).

In the article, I linked to, one of the banking consultants actually said after Chip and Signature is out, if there was another Target like event (couldn't believe the guy actually said this), that might make the banks go to full function Chip and PIN cards (but most weren't going to provide them because the banks would get a little less money in transaction costs).

Because of the article and what those folks said, I've decided I'll actively ferret out a good Chip and PIN card to use here in the U.S. - although at this point I don't think there is anyplace you can actually use one.

Thinking :apple:Pay preferred, but then fall back to the Chip and PIN. Cheers tmiw.

The different charges for signature and PIN only apply to debit cards, not credit cards. Regardless of whether PIN or signature's used for credit, the merchant's still getting charged the 2-3%. Also, I personally consider a credit card chip and signature unless it asks for a PIN for every single purchase. (It is possible for a chip and signature card to have PIN as a fallback; in fact, several credit cards do.)

Chip and Signature is what most banks in the U.S. are supposedly going to roll out over the next year as they don't make quite as much money on Chip and PIN transactions as opposed to the less secure Chip and Signature transactions.

https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/banking_credit_cards_world_mastercard?akredirect=true

Serious bummer as I love USAA and if anyone would have Chip and PIN on their cards I would have expected it from them - maybe they'll add that over the next year or so.

Anyone else know of a U.S. Chip and PIN card beside this 24% (ugh) Apple card?

Here's a great article explaining the difference between Chip and Signature (basically what we have today except getting the card number from a chip instead of the mag stripe) and Chip and PIN and why U.S. banks are going for the less secure choice (after all the security issues we've seen over the last year):

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2014/10/chip-pin-vs-chip-signature/

Someone, earlier in the thread, was actually saying Barclays was being somewhat discerning in looking at people's credit and turning folks down.

Check out UNFCU and Diners Club for actual chip and PIN cards. UNFCU requires you to join some non-profit though (effectively an annual fee) and Diners Club has an AF as well.

Jeff Meredith

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2007
Colorado
Randomly Generated Pin, anyone receive one?

I'm more interested in the fact that this will be a chip & pin card, they are still pretty rare here in the states. Hopefully more issuing banks will start rolling out pin cards as well.

That is a huge feature, Chip and PIN cards are very hard to get here. I applied for this card successfully. I will wait to see if a true randomly generated pin is sent with the card. I already have a USAA Chip and Pin card and they sent via snail mail a secure randomly generated pin.

Can anybody who has this card answer the question. Did they get a randomly generated PIN via mail. I don't want to know the number just that it is randomly generated. Thanks!

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
That is a huge feature, Chip and PIN cards are very hard to get here. I applied for this card successfully. I will wait to see if a true randomly generated pin is sent with the card. I already have a USAA Chip and Pin card and they sent via snail mail a secure randomly generated pin.

Can anybody who has this card answer the question. Did they get a randomly generated PIN via mail. I don't want to know the number just that it is randomly generated. Thanks!

When you get the card, can you give it a try in the chip slot at Walmart? They're the only major retailer that's actually turned on chip support so far.

playaproved

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2005
Just called and converted my Barclays Card to the Apple rewards... Might be time to splurge on that riMac now. :D

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
Cut it all up!

Well I only have one credit card for my mortgage and I have a credit score of 988. I pay cash every time I shop even for all my Mac products. It doesn't pay to fall into these cheap banks traps' ever. It isn't anything. If they really wanted to be fruitful, profitable and generous, they should give money away monthly to anyone who racks up a bill of 3000 + a month, you should at the least get $80 to $100 monthly from credit card companies, ESPECIALLY if you are the type of responsible person who pays your bills the week of balances due! But instead they just raise your limit through the roof in hopes to tempt you into mass debt! Just personal experience and opinion, they raise my limit every 6 months by 2500 dollars, until I stop signing the approvals, they just keep raising it!!!

They don't reward no one but themselves.

Fail.

I love you all!

----------

Just called and converted my Barclays Card to the Apple rewards... Might be time to splurge on that riMac now. :D

I just got one too so this Christmas every one of my nieces and nephews and their friends will get a couple of gift cards each because my Mac spending habits are off the chart. I just sold my 27" imac late 2013 maxed out beast, so I'll get the 5K imac and upgrade my macpro, once I sell that next week. Maybe a couple of iPhone 6+'s for my aunt and uncles. Everyone is gonna have a great Christmas.

But I'm still morning the tragic deaths of the recent suicides in the Apple factories in China, my one nephew is really irate with my addiction to Apple, but I just keep buying him new Mac gear. Is he ungrateful or am I a lost soul????

I love you all!

scoobydoo99

Cancelled
Mar 11, 2003
so, if 2,500 points gets you a $25 gift card, does that mean 25,000 points gets you $250? Why would I do that, when most airline cards would give me a free round trip domestic ticket for 25,000 miles? A round trip ticket is worth $500+

kukheart

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2003
Dallas
I actually have a Barclay's account at $0, I used it to buy a 2012 Macbook Air, I can't afford a new iPad yet, but wonder if I can get 12 months interest free on it, I may consider that, just always break down your receipt by however many months you can get so you can pay the whole thing off without having to worry about interest. Hope I don't have to apply for a new card.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I hope my mom and dad get one of these. If they get enough points maybe I can move out of the basement. :D:D

ProfessorHenry

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2014
Well I only have one credit card for my mortgage and I have a credit score of 988. I pay cash every time I shop even for all my Mac products. It doesn't pay to fall into these cheap banks traps' ever.

They don't reward no one but themselves.

They share their profits with you, if you play the game right.

doc james

macrumors regular
May 3, 2007
United Kingdom
Hmm. I have never been able to use Barclaycard to buy Apple products. Every time I've tried, it's caused immediate security panic: the transaction hasn't gone through and the card has been locked. I've even phoned and pre-warned them that I'm about to buy a Mac Pro: same thing happened. Cardholder present/cardholder not present - makes no difference. Couldn't even buy an iPod Nano.

Barclaycard security have always told me this is "policy" because Apple is a popular place to go with stolen cards.

They caused me so much embarrassment and trouble that I cut up the card. Interesting to see what's changed...

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
When you get the card, can you give it a try in the chip slot at Walmart? They're the only major retailer that's actually turned on chip support so far.

I used my USAA at Walmart and it asks for the PIN, for 30 seconds I felt like a European ;). All in all its no different than using your debit card and entering the PIN. Bank of America offers a Chip & PIN debit card as well.

I wish the Apple Store would turn on Chip card support in addition to Apple Pay.

randian

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2014
Their existing card was good for a deferred interest period on one purchase, and nothing else.
The new card still only offers deferred interest on one purchase (not clear if that's one bill or one item on that bill), and still only within 30 days of getting the card. Seems like a one use and done card unless they offer cardholders other opportunities for deferred interest purchases.

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
At 24%, it's best to leave that card where it is and get another.

I was mistaken... From the site:
13.99%, 19.99% or 26.99%, based on your credit worthiness.

This APR will vary with the market based on the Prime Rate.

When I had one, it was 24%, but I made sure it was paid off by the time it said to.

----------

Points for Applestore and for discounts on Applepay rebates are the same effective thing.

Rocketman

Good to see you here!

vkd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
Well that's a real big deal and super value. You only have to spend a minimum of $2500 to get 1% back. What a big saving! Amazing! The charity of these companies overwhelms me!:)

rdowty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2008

How long did that take? I'm wondering if I should call or wait to see if I get an email to switch my rewards over.

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
I used my USAA at Walmart and it asks for the PIN, for 30 seconds I felt like a European ;). All in all its no different than using your debit card and entering the PIN. Bank of America offers a Chip & PIN debit card as well.

I wish the Apple Store would turn on Chip card support in addition to Apple Pay.

My BoA debit card just got replaced actually. cardpeek shows some weirdness compared to my other EMV debit card (Charles Schwab) so I'm not sure how well it'll work. Both are chip and signature though unless run as debit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.