Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cycocelica

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
Redmond, WA
Barry Bonds does not deserve to get the all time home run record. The guy is a joke. I hate him and just wish he would retire so we don't have to hear about him anymore. And why has he not been busted for steroids yet? This guy just ruins the image of baseball.

Sayhey

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2003
San Francisco
cycocelica said:
Barry Bonds does not deserve to get the all time home run record. The guy is a joke. I hate him and just wish he would retire so we don't have to hear about him anymore. And why has he not been busted for steroids yet? This guy just ruins the image of baseball.

And we love him here in San Francisco. Thank you very much. I wouldn't expect a fan of another team to like Barry - he's too damn good.

Why hasn't he been busted for steroids yet? Because nobody has ever had any real evidence to show that he has taken any. Lots of conjecture, sure, but no failed tests, or admissions of guilt, or evidence that would stand up in any court. Until you have your proof, Barry gets to play on and amaze the baseball world as he hits homeruns into the night. And I'm enjoying every minute of it. :p

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Sayhey said:
And we love him here in San Francisco. Thank you very much. I wouldn't expect a fan of another team to like Barry - he's too damn good.

Be fair, there's good cause to not like Bonds for reasons other than the fact that he scores a lot of RBIs for San Francisco (which is a good enough for me, all by itself!). Seriously, his personality is grating, and his ego is more muscle-bound than his forearms. Just look at the game of footsie he's currently playing with whether he'll make this season. It's like he's begging us to care about him, the great Mr. Barry Bonds (as if we'd care about anything else in the game). That sort of thing gets old in a hurry. Aren't the Giants are still waiting for him to show up at camp? Wondering whether he will? No, part of the man's emotional makeup never made it past teenager.

Sayhey

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2003
San Francisco
IJ Reilly said:
Be fair, there's good cause to not like Bonds for reasons other than the fact that he scores a lot of RBIs for San Francisco (which is a good enough for me, all by itself!). Seriously, his personality is grating, and his ego is more muscle-bound than his forearms. Just look at the game of footsie he's currently playing with whether he'll make this season. It's like he's begging us to care about him, the great Mr. Barry Bonds (as if we'd care about anything else in the game). That sort of thing gets old in a hurry. Aren't the Giants are still waiting for him to show up at camp? Wondering whether he will? No, part of the man's emotional makeup never made it past teenager.

IJ, there are a million reasons not to like anybody. Barry provides his share and more. He's also the best baseball player to play in the major leagues since his godfather retired. If people don't like Barry for all the silly things he does, that's fine. But please, don't ask me not to appreciate the level of play I see from him. It's once in a lifetime stuff for a dedicated baseball fan.

A few corrections. The Giants aren't looking for him to show up at camp because he's overdue. There are a handful of players who have shown up early, before the deadline, and so far Barry's not one of them. So, he should be condemned for showing up on time? Also, Barry is not playing footsie about this season, but rather he has gone back and forth about whether he will play next season.

As to Barry's emotional makeup, you're right Barry doesn't handle the media well and often says things that he should know will get him in trouble. I would only remind you, this is a guy who came into the game with a huge chip on his shoulder. He hates the media for what they did to his father and godfather. Some of that hatred is well deserved in my opinion. Unfortunately, for Barry he refuses to make nice and give the interviews everyone wants. He pays for it many times over in that he has been made into Baseball's version of Satan for hating the press. It's stupid of him, in my opinion, but it is also irrelevant to me in watching him play. I get my kicks from what he does on the field, and unless someone can prove he is cheating, I'll still enjoy it ever time he strides to the plate.

As a Dodger fan, I wouldn't expect you to like him, but you have a chance to boo him for a couple more years, so make the most of it because you'll miss those confrontations between Barry and Gagne or Barry and Penny or Barry and whomever when he is gone.

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
prostuff1 said:
You guys are all wrong about the soxs. The Indians will be winning the central this year. With the starting pitching and hitting htey have they should be good. the only thing i worry about is the bullpen. have had troubles with that the last couple of years...but... Wickman was great last year.

I think people will go into this season vastly underestimating the AL Central. The White Sox remain the team to beat (adding power to their lineup and adding Javy Vasquez, though losing Rowand is going to hurt more than most think, I think!), but Cleveland, Detroit and Minnesota will all be tough outs. Take a look at these rotations:

Cleveland: Sabathia (breakout year -- mark my words!), Cliff Lee, Jake Westbrook, Paul Byrd and Jason Johnson.
Minnesota: Santana, Radke, Silva, Liriano, Baker/Lohse
Detroit: Bonderman, Rogers, Robertson, Grilli, Verlander

And these lineups:

Cleveland: Hafner, Sizemore, Pheralta and Victor Martinez.
Minnesota: Mauer, Luis Castillo, Mourneau, Hunter, Ford
Detroit: IRod, C. Guillen, Magglio Ordonez, Logan/Granderson

Looks like it could be a long season in Kansas City ...

Studawg7

macrumors regular
May 15, 2004
Cville, VA
all these sox and yanks fans... man, i'll be staying classic and to the core...

PIRATES

thats all. you can find me in my room cursing them for another spectacular season. maybe i should start a fund so i can buy the team and make the right decisions to bring them back to their glory.

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
I like Pittsburgh this year. Their 1 and 2 (and maybe 3) pitchers could be as good as anyone in baseball:

Zach Duke, Oliver Perez, Paul Malholm, Kip Wells and ... TBA.

The lineup is good -- Bay is an all star for years to come, and Sean Casey, Joe Randa and Jeremy Burnitz should take a lot of pressure off the Wilsons. Don't forget the vastly underrated Jody Gerut will get a lot of PT, too.

The Pirates will finish near or above .500 this year, and will probably play a considerable chunk of the season well above .500. If that considerable chunk starts in April, they'll be Wild Card contenders ...

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Sayhey said:

Why hasn't he been busted for steroids yet? Because nobody has ever had any real evidence to show that he has taken any. Lots of conjecture, sure, but no failed tests, or admissions of guilt,
I do seem to recall some leaked grand jury testimony that might not help Barry's case.

Sayhey

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2003
San Francisco
MacNut said:
I do seem to recall some leaked grand jury testimony that might not help Barry's case.

Yep. Barry admitted to taking flax seed oil and using a topical cream for his arthritic knee. Something he did openly in the clubhouse. No one proved either substance was anything other than what he thought it was or, believe me, there would be a trial going on as we speak. If you don't believe him, it's fine by me, but unless you got something more than conjecture Barry gets to play and break records. I'm looking forward to it.

Now how are Giambi and Sheffield doing, MacNut? ;)

cycocelica

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
Redmond, WA
Barry's "cover-up" story of taking flax seed oil is just plain stupid. He didn't know he was taking steroids? Give me a break. What a load of ****. Hell I could be a good sports player too if I started to take a magical cream that I had no idea what it was. It was so convinent of him to get "hurt" right as the whole steriods thing was taking off. BB's attitude is what really gets me though. The guy is full of himself. Thinks only for himself. I can't see why people like him. Because he is good? Please, the guy is a roid machine that doesnt deserve any record he has broken or will break.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Sayhey said:
Now how are Giambi and Sheffield doing, MacNut? ;)
well Giambi who admitted to roid use by the way so we know hes not lieing about his performance now did good the second half of the season, more then Bonds did.:p As for Sheiff the third in the trio of knows users, well the jury is still out on him, he's still hitting well but is he clean well no more then bonds is.

Sayhey

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2003
San Francisco
cycocelica said:
Barry's "cover-up" story of taking flax seed oil is just plain stupid. He didn't know he was taking steroids? Give me a break. What a load of ****. Hell I could be a good sports player too if I started to take a magical cream that I had no idea what it was. It was so convinent of him to get "hurt" right as the whole steriods thing was taking off. BB's attitude is what really gets me though. The guy is full of himself. Thinks only for himself. I can't see why people like him. Because he is good? Please, the guy is a roid machine that doesnt deserve any record he has broken or will break.

Another Barry-hater heard from. A few clarifications. No one every showed the substances Barry took openly were steroids or any other illegal drug. it is your assumption that they were. You might be right. But then again pardon me if I don't take your word as gospel.

As to Barry being full of himself. I've watched this guy play since he came up and there is no doubt he has an ego the size of Reggie Jackson, Michael Jordan, or name your superstar. He also gives every thing he has to his team and the goal of winning. Ask Ellis Burks or Marquis Grissom what they think of Barry. Two quality people and former teammates who only say the best about him. But of course you know better. Just be thankful you get to boo him for however long he can play. He's a better player than you're likely to see again in your life.

Sayhey

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2003
San Francisco
MacNut said:
well Giambi who admitted to roid use by the way so we know hes not lieing about his performance now did good the second half of the season, more then Bonds did.:p As for Sheiff the third in the trio of knows users, well the jury is still out on him, he's still hitting well but is he clean well no more then bonds is.

I wish them both luck, MacNut. I just like to tweak you back when you say those things about Barry. Not that I'm rooting for your Yankees!! They've won too many damn titles. ;)

cycocelica

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
Redmond, WA
Sayhey said:
Another Barry-hater heard from. A few clarifications. No one every showed the substances Barry took openly were steroids or any other illegal drug. it is your assumption that they were. You might be right. But then again pardon me if I don't take your word as gospel.

As to Barry being full of himself. I've watched this guy play since he came up and there is no doubt he has an ego the size of Reggie Jackson, Michael Jordan, or name your superstar. He also gives every thing he has to his team and the goal of winning. Ask Ellis Burks or Marquis Grissom what they think of Barry. Two quality people and former teammates who only say the best about him. But of course you know better. Just be thankful you get to boo him for however long he can play. He's a better player than you're likely to see again in your life.

Well hey we could argue this to the middle of Earth. But we both have different opinions on this guy and I don't think either one will change. It is nice to see that someone is veyr passionate about baseball as I am (I assume). :D

I will say this, he is a great player but to me at least, his image has been plagued with the whole steroids scandal (I do believe he took them). But before that, I always thought he was great player.

Sayhey

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2003
San Francisco
cycocelica said:
Well hey we could argue this to the middle of Earth. But we both have different opinions on this guy and I don't think either one will change. It is nice to see that someone is veyr passionate about baseball as I am (I assume). :D

I will say this, he is a great player but to me at least, his image has been plagued with the whole steroids scandal (I do believe he took them). But before that, I always thought he was great player.

We can certainly agree to disagree. No problem and, if your address shows your team, I wish your Mariners the best of luck. I'd root for almost anyone other than the A's in the AL West.

aloofman

macrumors 68020
Dec 17, 2002
Socal
IJ Reilly said:
Okay, I've got to say it... the team to beat in the NL West is:

The Los Angeles Dodgers!

(Having watched them stumble through 2005, even I'm surprised to hear me say it!)

I'm reminded of Homer finding out he won by default. "Woo-hoo! De-fault! De-fault!"

aloofman

macrumors 68020
Dec 17, 2002
Socal
IJ Reilly said:
So why didn't the Giants make a play for Jeff Weaver? Come to that, why didn't the Dodgers resign him? I think everybody is scratching their heads over his one-year deal with the Angels, when he was insisting on three from the Dodgers.

Weaver really goofed with his free agency shot. The Dodgers would have signed him for what the Angels got him for. He just thought he was worth more and no one wanted to give him a longer contract. He pretty much left Dodger money on the table, which they then had to throw at Tomko (gasp). Actually Weaver's pretty lucky that the Angels bit because now he doesn't have to buy a new house for another year. Consider this a "prove to everyone you're not just an innings-eater" year for Weaver.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Sayhey said:
I wish them both luck, MacNut. I just like to tweak you back when you say those things about Barry. Not that I'm rooting for your Yankees!! They've won too many damn titles. ;)
Its all give and take, by know Im sure you know how I feel about Barry, I will respect your opinion as you feel as strongly for your team as well as I do for mine. I think we can both agree that until all players involved are out of the game the suspicion will remain and Bud Selig will sweat every time a home run is hit.

cycocelica

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
Redmond, WA
Sayhey said:
We can certainly agree to disagree. No problem and, if your address shows your team, I wish your Mariners the best of luck. I'd root for almost anyone other than the A's in the AL West.

Eh, I am Yankee fan at heart but I would like to the Mariner's make it far this year. They have really been struggling.

Sayhey

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2003
San Francisco
cycocelica said:
Eh, I am Yankee fan at heart but I would like to the Mariner's make it far this year. They have really been struggling.

Sorry to hear about your Yankee addiction. And as I said I wish the Mariners the best of luck. ;) :p :D

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Sayhey said:
IJ, there are a million reasons not to like anybody.

Yes, but only a few really good reasons. ;)

I don't dislike Barry's personality because because he's a San Francisco Giant. I dislike his personality because he's proven himself to be a jerk, over and over again. Trust me, I'd feel the same way if he played for my hometown team. I remember when Mike Piazza was the big star in LA. He could say some really dumb things too. Some of that contributed to my lack of regret when he was traded. Bye, bye Mike. Say some stupid things in New York -- they'll love you for it. Is it possible, even today, to talk much about Ty Cobb without mentioning what an awful person he was in life? Nope. This stuff lives with a player, forever -- no matter how well they played the game.

I have absolutely no sympathy for Barry's shoulder chip. To quote Springsteen, he's been paid a King's ransom for doing what come naturally. Time to be a grown-up about it, maybe even to humbly thank the people for making it possible. That'll be a cold day in San Francisco.

I'm not going to weigh in on the doping issue. I've got my own opinion, but no more facts than anyone else. More opinions, we don't need.

aloofman

macrumors 68020
Dec 17, 2002
Socal
IJ Reilly said:
Yes, but only a few really good reasons. ;)

I don't dislike Barry's personality because because he's a San Francisco Giant. I dislike his personality because he's proven himself to be a jerk, over and over again. Trust me, I'd feel the same way if he played for my hometown team.

My problem with Bonds isn't really about being a jerk, but more about his astounding selfishness, even by professional athlete's standards. He blames everyone but himself for every problem he has, demands special treatment that other players wouldn't dare to ask, and seems to think that the media is the cause of his problems.

I strongly disagree with Sayhey's assertion that he's always about the team. He spent most of the 2005 season stringing the Giants along about when he'd be able to play again following at least one surgery that he didn't inform the team about. The Giants have basically been forced to put the entire team in orbit around Bonds because they fear the PR nightmare that would ensue if he hit #756 for another team. Their success this season hinges on how much Bonds can play, something that only Bonds seems to determine. I'm not saying that the Giants are making a mistake because it's probably their best course of action right now. It just galls me that one player can cause a team to mortgage it's near future at his whim.

This goes for Roger Clemens as well. I can't think of any other similar situation in which a superstar player holds his team hostage year in and year out about whether he'll play for them or not. (At least Bonds has injury reasons.) He even got the media to call his leaving the Yankees a "retirement," which was followed by his "comeback." Like Bonds, only the best player at his position over the last 30 years could even try such a thing, and most people wouldn't dare to.

OK, that's the last time this season I'll complain about Bonds the Man. Now I'll go back to hoping he'll be less than Bonds the Player. :D

Sayhey

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2003
San Francisco
Let's see, now I have to convince two Dodger fans that Barry is a good guy? IJ ... aloofman ... talk about a tough audience! :eek:

I'm really not asking you guys to agree with me about Barry. I can tell you what I think and dispute things that I think are demonstrably false and otherwise people just have to make their own judgments.

aloofman, I would only say that there are different ways of looking at Barry's health problems last year. I can tell you that if I'm getting an operation done I wouldn't let my employers doctors do it or let them outline my plan of care. Why? Because no matter how much they tell you they have your best interests at heart, they also have other conflicting interests as well. Should Barry have turned over his care to the Giants to decide what happened to him when it could have meant the end of his career or even the loss of his leg? I think he has every right to say "I'll make those decisions, thank you." That goes for every athlete by the way. I don't think there is any way that Barry could have handled that situation and satisfied everyone. Heck, we've got people who still think it was only his way out of drug testing - never mind he was tested during the injury.

Barry's a prima donna - there's no denying that. But his arrogance and demands for special treatment are in no way out of line with what other professional athletes get. If his famous lounge chair in the clubhouse makes him selfish then I guess you're right, but let's apply the same standard across the board, ok? What I'm talking about is showing up to play and giving it your all. Just look at the number of games he has played with bad knees. Nobody trains harder than Bonds. Nobody's focus is more centered on winning than Bonds. Those are the things I'm talking about when I say he puts the team first.

One more thing and then I'll shut up about Barry for awhile. Remember a few years back when Kent and Barry got in a dust up in the dugout? Any idea what that was about? Kent was pissed when another player didn't score on his hit. Robbed him of an RBI. He started mouthing off about it in the dugout. When Barry stepped in to defend the other player (David Bell iirc) Kent blew up and they fought. But somehow Barry's side is always lost in the story. Half the nation thought Barry had some kind of steroid induced explosion.

There is no doubt Barry has his demons and he is certainly no angel, but most of the crap one hears about him comes from folks who have made a living hating him. The fact his side is never told is no doubt partly his own fault for his disdain for the media. In my mind that doesn't relieve the prima donnas in the media of their responsiblity to tell the whole story. That includes media who never accepted Mays (and accused him of using drugs) or hounded his father for not being the "next Willie Mays" and refused to acknowlege his talent. The fans up here ignore Bonds' faults, and that's not good, but there is a side of Barry that deserves every bit of the standing ovation we give him. Anyway, I'm off my soapbox.

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
Even though I'm not a fan of the Giants, the one game I went to in San Francisco, Bonds hit a 'Slash Zone' Home Run (over the wall, so it lands in the water) and I was impressed.

Steroids or not, that bat speed and his strength is very impressive.

MacsomJRR

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2003
San Diego
go Padres 2006 Baby!!!

oh yeah and I forgot to mention that Bonds is an A******. I can't wait till he leaves baseball forever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.