Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

killerbunny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2010
Las Vegas
Hello!

I am attempting to learn Ruby on Rails on my own. To install RVM, I need to update a file named .bash_profile. I know it's hidden, and it doesn't exist. Neither does .bashrc.

I can create the files in Terminal or TextWranger, I just don't know what they should have in them by default.

All help is appreciated, and I'm sorry for being a pest! :rolleyes:

Cheers!

Zortrium

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
They don't need to have anything by default -- if they aren't there and you've been getting along fine, then creating blank files won't change anything.

That said, those files are bash commands that are executed when you open a Terminal window (mostly, there are some subtle differences between bashrc and bash_profile, but it's common practice to have one call the other).

ulbador

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2010
the bash_profile and bashrc files do have a couple of subtle differences.

The profile file is only read once the first time you log in, whereas the rc file is read every time you open a new terminal.

gaijinpunch

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2010
Are you using the terminal? If not, start -- all good programmers do. :D

Second, if you want to see even hidden files, you can pass the "ls" command the -a option for "all". If you open a terminal you should be in your home directory. Simply type "ls -a" to see a list files. "ls -la" to see them w/ more details. My personal favorite is "ls -latr" to see them all in reverse order by modify time.

Outside Reading

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.