Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kolax

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
I'm trying to set up my Terminal (bash) so that in history it doesn't show duplicate commands (i.e. if I type a command 5 times, then press the up arrow to go through the history it only shows it once).

There's no .bash_profile in my Home directory, so I created one, and added the following line:

export HISTCONTROL=ignoredups

However, still can't get it to work.

Last edited:

Mumford

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2006
Altadena, CA
I'm trying to set up my Terminal (bash) so that in history it doesn't show duplicate commands (i.e. if I type a command 5 times, then press the up arrow to go through the history it only shows it once).

There's no .bash_profile in my Home directory, so I created one, and added the following line:

export HISTCONTROL=erasedups

However, still can't get it to work.

.bash_profile is only loaded at login. You want to add it .bashrc which is loaded every time a new shell (terminal window) is started.

Or do what I do and link them to be the same file.

kolax

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
I had to create .bashrc too, added the line, but still doesn't work.

Mumford

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2006
Altadena, CA
Did you start a new terminal? Changes to .bashrc won't take effect in an existing terminal. If you type env | grep HISTCONTROL in this new terminal, what's the output?

kolax

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
Yeah, quit and re-opened it. I created .bashrc and env | grep HISTCONTROL outputs nothing. Renamed it to .profile and env | grep HISTCONTROL outputs HISTCONTROL=ignoredups.

However, it still doesn't work. :confused:

kolax

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
Haha, it does work.

I just didn't test it properly - I was scrolling up through my history and seeing duplicates, but I didn't realise it would only impact new bits of history, not ones that existed before I changed the settings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.