Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Hi All.
Mrs. Diver wants to start learning to do her own photo processing.
She has an iMac with an M1 chip. We are looking for something basic and easy to use "out of the box." (Think Photoshop Elements.) I am already familiar with the more advanced options.
What suggestions do you have?
Thanks.

JonnyMacx86

macrumors regular
Staff member
Feb 10, 2024
Halifax, NS
Once I graduated from the editing tools available in Apple Photos, I get Pixelmator Pro from the App Store. It's like Photoshop but easier for me to wrap my head around, and a one-time purchase. There's now a sister app called Photomator which is probably more in line with your partner's use case. It is available both as a subscription and as a one-time purchase. Both of these apps integrate into Apple Photos as plug-ins, as well - super easy to go from Photos into one of these and back.

Reactions: deep diver

BotchQue

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2019
Another vote for Apple Photos, and she already has it (I use Affinity Photo for more advanced stuff, a one-time purchase and they've been good with the updates).

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Hi All.
Mrs. Diver wants to start learning to do her own photo processing.
She has an iMac with an M1 chip. We are looking for something basic and easy to use "out of the box." (Think Photoshop Elements.) I am already familiar with the more advanced options.
What suggestions do you have?
Thanks.
When I was teaching Mrs AFB to do some photo editing (because she didn’t like the way I was editing the images of her craft projects!), I taught her to use simple processing in LR. I taught her with a Loupedeck to make it easier.

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
I also vote for Apple Photos. It's as simple or as complicated as you want it to be, and it will sync edits across iPhone/iPad/Mac, and also do the scanning of images for cataloging and album making. Another bonus is having the Photos widget, which I like because it presents your collection to you over time, so you actually can look back at what you've done. And shared albums are nice too. Perhaps she's already using some of those features, but that's the case, it just makes a stronger case to keep everything all in one app.

Also, I find Photos does pretty well without overcooking it, unless you really push sliders too hard. Believe it or not, many of my POTD content is RAW sent through DxO PureRAW and then cleaned up the rest of the way in Photos.

nicholasg

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2011
There are really 3 options if you want something that leverages the iCloud Photo Library, but gives you more power: -

I think they all have 3 free trials. All have MacOS plus iOS apps (or in the case of Nitro has their iOS in beta testing).

Darkroom and Photomator have prettier GUIs, Nitro has more functionality.

All have very reasonable pricing (compare to more pro level apps like Lightroom or Capture One).

All are in active development.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
I'd be in the Lightroom camp, to be honest, assuming you already subscribe to it (and maybe you don't, in which case I'd probably still recommend it). Lr Classic can be overwhelming, but if you are just sticking to the first few panels of the development panel, it's pretty easy to get a handle on, and the cataloging system can't be beat. It will handle almost all editing necessary for a beginning photographer/editor, other than major cloning.

I started with PS Elements when I first started photography, and that was because I hadn't heard of LR and already had a basic understanding of using full Photoshop. But my editing drastically improved and sped up when I moved to LR as I started shooting raw. I've been using LR since the very first version, though, so find it really intuitive after 16 or so years.

nicholasg

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2011
The only problem with Lightroom Classic aside from its very old fashioned GUI design is the cost ~$10 / month for ever. Especially if you want "something basic and easy to use".

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
It looks like she wants to start with Photos because of its ease of use, shallower learning curve, and its integration across the Apple environment.

The only downside is that I'll have to put in some time to learn it, but that shouldn't much.

We appreciate all of the input.

Reactions: Darmok N Jalad
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.