Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

off_piste

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2015
My setup is the Apple TV 4 and Denon receiver connected to two hdmi ports on a Samsung smart tv (all controlled by CEC). Regardless of content all I see on my receiver's display is stereo sound but others on this site have mentioned 5.1 sound.

Does ARC via hdmi only support stereo? Do I need to dig out an optical cable from my garage?

Sound isn't my forte (and I hate the unnecessary complexity of receivers) so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
My setup is the Apple TV 4 and Denon receiver connected to two hdmi ports on a Samsung smart tv (all controlled by CEC). Regardless of content all I see on my receiver's display is stereo sound but others on this site have mentioned 5.1 sound.

Does ARC via hdmi only support stereo? Do I need to dig out an optical cable from my garage?
ARC technically supports multi-channel sound, but many TVs will only output sound from external sources in stereo. The optical cable likely won't help, since on most TVs the optical output has the same limitations as the HDMI ARC. If possible, you should consider routing the audio from all external devices through the receiver and then to the TV. You can still use ARC to play sound from the smart TV apps through the receiver.

TinHead88

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2008
The new ATV4 does not have optical out anymore so your only option to consistently get surround out of the ATV is to route the HDMI to the AV receiver and then to the TV.

off_piste

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2015
ARC technically supports multi-channel sound, but many TVs will only output sound from external sources in stereo. The optical cable likely won't help, since on most TVs the optical output has the same limitations as the HDMI ARC. If possible, you should consider routing the audio from all external devices through the receiver and then to the TV. You can still use ARC to play sound from the smart TV apps through the receiver.
The new ATV4 does not have optical out anymore so your only option to consistently get surround out of the ATV is to route the HDMI to the AV receiver and then to the TV.
Thanks.

My only concern with rewiring in that configuration is CEC and the Apple TV remote. Right now my Apple TV remote controls everything but I'm not sure that would be the case if the Apple TV is separated from the tv by the receiver.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
i've got an aTV4 --> Denon AVR --> panasonic plasma.

hit a button on the aTV4 remote, everything powers on to the correct input.

in the remote section for volume i have auto (HDMI CEC to the denon), Receiver via IR, TV via IR. all of this set up automatically, as the TV information passes through the denon.

the TV remote will also control the aTV for basic navigation.

----
also go into the audio video settings on the aTV, and make sure you're setup to send dolby digital,

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but it sounds (no pun) like you have the ATV into the TV not the AMP.
I plug mine into the AMP and the AMP is linked into the TV by a single HDMI and i just select the source on the AMP when i want to use the ATV.

My Denon shows more the stereo sound when connected in this way.

off_piste

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2015
Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but it sounds (no pun) like you have the ATV into the TV not the AMP.
I plug mine into the AMP and the AMP is linked into the TV by a single HDMI and i just select the source on the AMP when i want to use the ATV.

My Denon shows more the stereo sound when connected in this way.
That's correct, my Apple TV is currently plugged into the tv rather than my receiver. I'll reconfigure it to run through the receiver and see if I get better results.

off_piste

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2015

in the remote section for volume i have auto (HDMI CEC to the denon), Receiver via IR, TV via IR. all of this set up automatically, as the TV information passes through the denon.

----
also go into the audio video settings on the aTV, and make sure you're setup to send dolby digital,
Thanks, I'll try that. I really don't want to give up the simplicity of using the Apple TV remote for 95% of what I do.

OC513

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2007
NYC

----

This is the set up I am using as well only into a Sony TV. Works perfectly. Apple remote turns on everything with one press of a button.

Reactions: off_piste

m7ammed

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2010
Saudi Arabia
Got the ATV4 yesterday. I have a Sony receiver and a Samsung TV.

ATV4 --> Sony --> TV. ATV4 manages to turn everything up. Only thing I noticed when playing music only front speakers will work, no sound coming from the rear. Is it suppose to be like that?

Will try Netflix and to watch a TV show through home sharing from iTunes and see if the rear speakers will work.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
Only thing I noticed when playing music only front speakers will work, no sound coming from the rear. Is it suppose to be like that?

music is only stereo, so only sending sound to the front left and right speakers.

if you want sound out of the other speakers, you'll need to change the surround mode in your receiver, which will then generate the signal for the other speakers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.