Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shacklebolt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 2, 2004
I kind of doubt it, but on the off chance that it's possible...

Is there some sort of equalizer application or something to boost the bass out of my MacBook Pro? Getting an external amplifier just isn't an option right now. I just bought some AKG K701s, and to be sure, they're awesome, but I know I can get more bass out of them. I bought a teeny volume booster, but don't have the cash for a mic amp right now.

Anyway, programs that make it possible?

djdawson

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2005
Minnesota
You can do this with Audio Hijack Pro if you set the input to be all system audio and use one of the built-in plugins to boost the bass. You'd have to leave it running all the time, but maybe that's not a problem. You might also be able to do it with the non-pro version, but I don't have that one.

Super Macho Man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2006
Hollywood, CA
iTunes has an equalizer built in if you only need to affect iTunes music. You could also get a bottom-end mini mixer with a headphone amp built in for $30 or so, if that's not too much. It will probably have a basic 3-band EQ or bass boost button built in.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
In addition to Audio Hijack Pro, there are some more narrowly-focused DSP programs. iWow (iTunes plugin) and OSS 3D (works with lots of programs) may be worth a look.

thebeephaha

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
Seattle WA
I kind of doubt it, but on the off chance that it's possible...

Is there some sort of equalizer application or something to boost the bass out of my MacBook Pro? Getting an external amplifier just isn't an option right now. I just bought some AKG K701s, and to be sure, they're awesome, but I know I can get more bass out of them. I bought a teeny volume booster, but don't have the cash for a mic amp right now.

Anyway, programs that make it possible?

Your gonna have to massively burn in those cans, I read they need like a 300 hour MINIMUM burn in time before they loosen up and let some bass come out.

As far as EQ, the iTunes one is pretty good if you know how to do EQ-ing properly. Which I assume you know how to do since you bought fairly high end audiophile cans.

Shacklebolt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 2, 2004
Your gonna have to massively burn in those cans, I read they need like a 300 hour MINIMUM burn in time before they loosen up and let some bass come out.

As far as EQ, the iTunes one is pretty good if you know how to do EQ-ing properly. Which I assume you know how to do since you bought fairly high end audiophile cans.

Yeah, I know about the break in time. I obviously haven't had them for long, but when I personally haven't been listening to them, I've hidden 'em in a closet under some blankets (obviously, they bleed sound) hooked up to a CD player playing Tom Petty's "Wildflowers" on a loop. They've had music pumping through them basically for the last 30 hours.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.